KTRK-Houston on a temp set

WXmanTim

Just caught a portion of ABC13's midday show and it appears they are on a temporary set.

Mike Mcguff mentioned in this post ( http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2015/07/casey-curry-travis-herzog-ktrk-abc13-swap-switch.html?m=1 ) they were getting one, but I want expecting it already.

Looks like they have moved back into the original studio and may be using parts of the 2000-2008 set.

They have been on the temp set for about 2 weeks I believe. If you look closely you'll actually notice that other than the monitor directly behind the desk the rest of the set is a huge wall size photo of the old set. I'm excited to see what they've done with the studio it should be nice.

Yea, was just watching the top of the 6pm and noticed the faux-monitor panels on the wings.

The desk, itself, is fun the outgoing set. My reason for thinking they may be using leftovers from the 2000-2008 set was the color tone & finish of the center panel with the big RP monitor behind the desk.

KTRK used a similar background set up during the period between the premiere of The Debra Duncan Show, in 1997, and the completion of construction on the larger studio.

Here's a link to some photos from that time:

https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/17903031@N00/sets/72157626429229092/

You're right and if you look through the pictures in that link you'll see the smaller desk that was off to the right of the set near the weather center. They still use that small piece as the homebase for the 6:30 half hour newscast.

One other thing that stood out to me about those pictures, you can see where they were building the 2000-2008 set and the temp set they were on during the process. They were using the exact same photowall method of the old set, like they're doing right now.

• 1 month later...
Here's the set in-use...

The weather in front of the monitor array looks kinda clunky. Especially if there was something going on that you had to look at closely... The lines are a drawback too... I see they are using a standing setup for sports and weather. Looks pretty nice overall.

This is an awesome set.

• I love how during the weather segments, the meteorologist performs the forecast in front of television screens (a large display at that!) instead of a green screen. I have nothing against them, it's just cooler to me that way.

• The desk looks very amazing; like WABC's influence rubbed on them.

• The video screen is really great, too. Fits the frame and everything.

• and the look and feel is, while pretty sterile, fits the EWN brand greatly.

This set is one of the best I've seen this year; up there with WFTV.

Archived