BREAKING: WDBJ Reporter and Photog shot and killed.

alex979

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said. Been watching WDBJ-7 noon newscast and these guys are very professional. I don't see how they are doing it.

Heard on the radio earlier here in Lexington that a reporter used to work with him at another station and he was a tough guy to work with. This guy had some issues.

If it's possible for there to be anything resembling good news out of this tragedy; Vicki Gardner (the woman being interviewed when the shots rang out) is now reported to be in stable condition

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-latest-on-tv-shooting-wounded-woman-in-stable-condition/ar-BBm7Lzh?ocid=U142DHP

I'm sure WDBJ wishes that WAGT wasn't operated by Media General. Had it not been for the JSA and SSA with WJBF their staff would be in Roanoke in a hurry.

I changed my avi today to WDBJ's old logo because of the star in it. Today, that star represents a star in heaven. May you rest in peace, Alison Parker and Adam Ward.

http://wsls.com/2015/08/26/man-suspected-of-shooting-two-wdbj7-crew-members-shot-during-pursuit/

http://www.fox5dc.com/news/12083598-story

Within the past few minutes, it has been declared that the shooter has died in a hospital in Northern Virginia in Fairfax County.

Sources: WTTG-FOX 5 DC and WSLS 10

Guest Former Member 207

I'm watching CBSN as I'm typing, and the local law enforcement just finished their press conference. Unless I missed something, they didn't offer any other new information beyond what's already reported.

CBS News (via ABC News) got a hold of a 23-page manifesto the suspect wrote, and it indicated that he was planning this shooting since the tragic shooting in Charleston, SC a couple months ago. This dude definitely had issues, without question, and was surely battling a lot of internal demons.

My heart goes out to the victims and their ones, and sadly since the suspect offed himself, unfortunately justice won't be properly served to bring the closure that these families will need.

I am so numb, the colleagues who lost their lives in the tragedy were about to start a new life, Alison with her boyfriend planning a wedding. Adam engaged to a fellow colleague. They were doing their jobs, so the thought of the madmen's assault couldn't be more inconceivable. Their respective partners would never get to see their relationship fully realized. My thoughts with their partners and anyone who ever came across the co-workers. We as a country must, against the will of those with mental issues, force them to go through mental evaluation when incidents escalate and/or pile up one by one to prevent tragedies such as this.

You can read two of my thoughts on my twitter page.

[MEDIA=twitter]636607311130312704[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]636609441459240960[/MEDIA]

I'm watching CBSN as I'm typing, and the local law enforcement just finished their press conference. Unless I missed something, they didn't offer any other new information beyond what's already reported.

CBS News (via ABC News) got a hold of a 23-page manifesto the suspect wrote, and it indicated that he was planning this shooting since the tragic shooting in Charleston, SC a couple months ago. This dude definitely had issues, without question, and was surely battling a lot of internal demons.

My heart goes out to the victims and their ones, and sadly since the suspect offed himself, unfortunately justice won't be properly served to bring the closure that these will need.

An excerpt of the manifesto, via ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/beta/US/shooting-alleged-gunman-details-grievances-suicide-notes/story?id=33336339

It is pretty disturbing. He even cites the Virginia Tech shooter, Seung-Hui Cho, as "[his] boy", and said Jehovah spoke to him to do it.

An excerpt of the manifesto, via ABC News: http://abcnews.go.com/beta/US/shooting-alleged-gunman-details-grievances-suicide-notes/story?id=33336339

It is pretty disturbing. He even cites the Virginia Tech shooter, Seung-Hui Cho, as "[his] boy", and said Jehovah spoke to him to do it.

Wow. That is powerful stuff. It mentions that he was also gay — I don't think that has been brought up yet.

Guest Former Member 207

I just finished reading the link that tman posted...it's even more disturbing than I thought.

As a black man, married with two kids, things like this (especially when racial elements come into play) distrubs me greatly, as it would with anyone else who has common sense. Even said, I can't say I have sympathy for Flanagan, because it was a needless tragedy and he should have sought out mental help (if he hadn't beforehand, but reading the manifesto, it seems like little-to-none).

This story may cross the line of "we don't comment on personnel matters"

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/alabama_tv_station_rejected_vi.html#incart_river_mobileshort

It's one thing for former colleagues or acquaintances to come forward, but this brings to light privileged information that would have never been revealed if today's events never happened. Both AL.com and WAFF's news director should have not reported this....

This story may cross the line of "we don't comment on personnel matters"

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/08/alabama_tv_station_rejected_vi.html#incart_river_mobileshort

It's one thing for former colleagues or acquaintances to come forward, but this brings to light privileged information that would have never been revealed if today's events never happened. Both AL.com and WAFF's news director should have not reported this....

But this is far from an ordinary circumstance. If nothing else, it shows that the WAFF ND (rightfully) did his due diligence on Flanagan/Williams before making the call not to hire him.

News resources are flocking from the mid-Atlantic region to this story.

A satellite truck for WCNC-TV just pulled in behind Chris Cuomo on CNN. WGHP offered the pool feed for one of the press conferences that CNN took. WJLA has come down.

Wow! This literally made me tear up and get angry. At some point, this violence has to stop before it takes more innocent lives. Prayers to the victims and to WDBJ.

Something has to be done sooner or later. I'm absolutely sick and tired of gun violence.

Thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims and everyone at WDBJ. Truly a sad, yet horrible day for broadcast journalism.

Pretty much piggybacking on what everybody said... This guy was severely messed up. He took the cowards way out. Thoughts and prayers for everyone impacted by this.

Let's try to remember that this is incredibly unusual and that there's no reason to get too hyper about our own situations out there. It's important to keep some perspective I think whenever we're out there for a live shot.

Sinclair Broadcasting had a short statement:

WTWC is a Sinclair Broadcast Group station. Sinclair released a statement about Flanagan's employment at the station:

Mr. Flanagan was employed at this station for approximately one year, from March 1999 through March 2000. It is true that he filed charges of discrimination which were dismissed by the EEOC and he filed a lawsuit against the station early in 2000. All issues with Mr. Flanagan were resolved in 2000.

Sinclair Broadcasting had a short statement:

WTWC is a Sinclair Broadcast Group station. Sinclair released a statement about Flanagan's employment at the station:

Mr. Flanagan was employed at this station for approximately one year, from March 1999 through March 2000. It is true that he filed charges of discrimination which were dismissed by the EEOC and he filed a lawsuit against the station early in 2000. All issues with Mr. Flanagan were resolved in 2000.

Was the lawsuit filed shortly before or after WTWC shut down its news department?

Archived