BREAKING: WDBJ Reporter and Photog shot and killed.

alex979

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The suspect was from the San Francisco Bay Area. He grew up in Oakland and graduated from Skyline High School. Afterwards, he attended San Francisco State University, earned a broadcasting degree, and, at the same time, interned for two years at KPIX. His family lives in Vallejo. More from...

- KPIX: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/08/26/suspect-in-virginia-tv-shooting-who-formerly-worked-at-kpix-in-san-francisco-shoots-himself/

- KGO:

http://abc7news.com/news/vallejo-residents-say-virginia-shooting-suspect-was-polite-educated/958422/

http://abc7news.com/news/tv-news-crew-shooting-suspect-has-bay-area-ties/957731/

- KNTV: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Bryce-Williams-Vester-Flanagan-Killed-Virginia-Oakland-San-Francisco-Ties-322967061.html

This has affected other newsrooms around the country as well.

A reporter who recently started at WTAE in Pittsburgh previously worked at WDBJ and called Adam his "best friend".

http://m.wtae.com/news/former-coworker-friend-of-wdbj-shooting-victims-shares-memories/34941440

A producer at KTNV in Las Vegas worked with Alison in North Carolina:

This was published yesterday in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, but WISN and WTMJ were among the stations whose management chose to suspend live shots that day in the event of any copycat shootings.

What gets me about this is that Melissa Ott was apparently watching the report from the station's control room when her fiancée Adam Ward and Alison Parker started being shot at. So, even though he was behind the camera at the time, she had the unfortunate situation of watching Adam's being taken by Flanigan. Even sadder, they apparently had already set a wedding date at the time, since her wedding dress was ready the same day Adam was killed.

Anchor Kimberly McBroom, in an interview with CBS News, wasn't sure what happened herself. She said that the possibility that it was gunfire amid the screams didn't come across as what was happening at first in the moment, before the control room cut to her in the studio.

In addition, when KOKH was covering the story on its newscasts, while they mentioned that Vester Flanigan had sued a station in 2000, they didn't disclose that WTWC was the station in question, or even vaguely referencing it as a sister station.

Haven't had an opportunity to chime in on this story since I was out of town yesterday and had no access to the internet for the most part. WMC-TV did a story yesterday about the shooting as well since one of their current anchors/reporters used to work with Flanagan at WNCT.

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/29887102/reporter-photographer-shooting-a-sad-reminder-of-workplace-violence

I am at a loss of words as to why someone who was obviously mentally unstable would even go as far as do harm to others. My deepest condolences to the victims and their families as well as to those who knew them well.

I would have thought the New York Post would have been the ones to pull something like this...it would be a bit of a shock if the Daily News doesn't get reamed for that cover.

New York Post's Cover today wasn't that much better. Take Note that in NYC that the Post and the DN compete to be "The Paper in the City", regardless of how low of a denominator they get. Unfortunately, NY Times ins't quite considered to be "The Paper" among the rush commuters due to the aforementioned reason, as well as "boringly narrative". The Times, however, is read across the world and still regarded as class so no sleep is lost there. "If it bleeds, it leads" is what captures the eye, negative notwithstanding. The DN is preparing to explain their reason as to why they did it, should the backlash force them to do so. To be honest, it would be a shock if BOTH papers don't get reamed respectively.

I did hear that WSLS (and possibly WSET) offered to send some of their staff to WDBJ as well to do other reporting and possibly take over newscasts. I think Schurz didn't need that much additional help in the end.

Media General and Schurz are already connected in Augusta, GA due to the LMA there.

I agree with The Daily News' decision to show the shooter's POV:

1) Those images are news - on many levels - it's shooter P.O.V., it's caught on video, he used a Go-Pro, he broadcast it online... all of that is news. They speak to the depravity of our society and the deep problems at its core. News outlets should show them because their truly shocking nature may effect change on some level that is desperately needed.

2) In terms of whether the image is too gory or tasteless to broadcast - I believe it is close to the line but not over the line - mainly, in my opinion, because the frames do not show the actual murder - my speculation.

3) In terms of sinking to 'new levels of classnessness' or 'having no respect' (as people write here) - for me, the Daily News has more respect for the truth and for showing the horror of what actually happened. You might argue that "no, they did this for sales and nothing else", but that's irrelevant. News - unless it's for PBS or some such outlet - is inseparably linked to the profit motive.

4) I think it is wrong for people to criticize the Daily News and others for showing the shooter POV when countless news outlets over the years - including WDBJ - have broadcast highly powerful, tragic and sensitive material precisely because it is news.

In a 'Polyanna'-type world, newspapers would only show nice photo-montages of people's lives on their front pages. In the real world, news is neither nice nor respectful. And when it comes to world-changing journalism, it is often the most startling, graphic, confronting images that shake the world's consciousness - think the picture of the naked little girl in Vietnam. Instead of blaming the newspaper, people should direct their ire toward the lax gun laws and the violent, divided, 'broken' society in which this occurred.

To the poster who wrote that this is about mental illness at its core - yes, you are right.. partly. But it goes far beyond that. This is about a violent, dis-functional, so-called 'society' in which it is now common for members of society to go around killing each other. That is not normal - other places have mental illness - and guns too - but not the extreme levels of violence.

As an aside - CBS again showed they are the true journalistic newscast out of the three network programs, in my opinion. They were the only one to show the shooter's video. Similarly, back in January, they were the only newscast to show the Muhammad cartoons following the Charlie Hebdo massacre. No coincidence.

That may be true from a City desk perspective.

But you have to understand the sensitivities of the loved ones who lost their colleague, etc. Am I advocating censorship? Nope. I am preferrably, advocating restraint when it comes to tragedies like this, fox2. Sure, the real world is a tough, gritty, and downright cruel place, but not everything we see and hear should be like "The Wire".

Imagine this, how would you feel if your loved one appeared on the news as a corpse in the front page, and the City Editor defends that photo claiming the realities of journalism? Please consider this, fox2.

1) Those images are news - on many levels - it's shooter P.O.V., it's caught on video, he used a Go-Pro, he broadcast it online... all of that is news. They speak to the depravity of our society and the deep problems at its core. News outlets should show them because their truly shocking nature may effect change on some level that is desperately needed.

2) In terms of whether the image is too gory or tasteless to broadcast - I believe it is close to the line but not over the line - mainly, in my opinion, because the frames do not show the actual murder - my speculation.

3) In terms of sinking to 'new levels of classnessness' or 'having no respect' (as people write here) - for me, the Daily News has more respect for the truth and for showing the horror of what actually happened.

4) I think it is wrong for people to criticize the Daily News and others for showing the shooter POV when countless news outlets over the years - including WDBJ - have broadcast highly powerful, tragic and sensitive material precisely because it is news.

In a 'Polyanna'-type world, newspapers would only show nice photo-montages of people's lives on their front pages. In the real world, news is neither nice nor respectful. Instead of blaming the newspaper, people should direct their ire toward the lax gun laws and the violent, divided, 'broken' society in which this occurred.

To the poster who wrote that this is about mental illness at its core - yes, you are right.. partly. But it goes far beyond that. This is about a violent, dis-functional, so-called 'society' in which it is now common for members of society to go around killing each other. That is not normal - other places have mental illness - and guns too - but not the extreme levels of violence.

As an aside - CBS again showed they are the true journalistic newscast out of the three network programs, in my opinion. They were the only one to show the shooter's video. Similarly, back in January, they were the only newscast to show the Muhammad cartoons following the Charlie Hebdo massacre. No coincidence.

3) In terms of sinking to 'new levels of classnessness' or 'having no respect' (as people write here) - for me, the Daily News has more respect for the truth and for showing the horror of what actually happened. You might argue that "no, they did this for sales and nothing else", but that's irrelevant. News - unless it's for PBS or some such outlet - is inseparably linked to the profit motive.

In a 'Polyanna'-type world, newspapers would only show nice photo-montages of people's lives on their front pages. In the real world, news is neither nice nor respectful. And when it comes to world-changing journalism, it is often the most startling, graphic, confronting images that shake the world's consciousness - think the picture of the naked little girl in Vietnam. Instead of blaming the newspaper, people should direct their ire toward the lax gun laws and the violent, divided, 'broken' society in which this occurred.

But does it really help to show something like that to a prospective audience of all ages? Would that be something you'd want your child to see?

I'm sure the same question was asked when Budd Dywer killed himself on live television. Remember that WPVI got REAMED for replaying the footage during the 6pm Action News, apparently without warning. In covering stories like this, you HAVE to give warning. And the Daily News didn't do so.

Re: the Charlie Hebdo cartoons. That's obviously more of a political correctness and cultural issue than something which displayed a death as it happened. I don't disagree with CBS's stance in showing the offending artwork, though.

(Interestingly enough, the only mainstream** comic strip to feature an in-panel murder of the titular character that I know of was Tom Batiuk's John Darling, and Batiuk only depicted the gun firing, followed by Peter Jennings delivering John's obituary. It was a pretty ham-handed death, as Batiuk cancelled the strip due to a fight over editorial control with the syndicate.

**Which would disqualify legendary underground comic Fritz the Cat.)

My point exactly. Fox2's argument reflects the fact that they, alongside Piers M, want to politicize this as an attempt to prove a point about gun control. Myron, thanks for being honest.

But does it really help to show something like that to a prospective audience of all ages? Would that be something you'd want your child to see?

I'm sure the same question was asked when Budd Dywer killed himself on live television. Remember that WPVI got REAMED for replaying the footage during the 6pm Action News, apparently without warning. In covering stories like this, you HAVE to give warning. And the Daily News didn't do so.

Re: the Charlie Hebdo cartoons. That's obviously more of a political correctness and cultural issue than something which displayed a death as it happened. I don't disagree with CBS's stance in showing the offending artwork, though.

(Interestingly enough, the only mainstream** comic strip to feature an in-panel murder of the titular character that I know of was Tom Batiuk's John Darling, and Batiuk only depicted the gun firing, followed by Peter Jennings delivering John's obituary. It was a pretty ham-handed death, as Batiuk cancelled the strip due to a fight over editorial control with the syndicate.

**Which would disqualify legendary underground comic Fritz the Cat.)

The delemma solves itself.

TV is a business, thus to look like "we care" we do not show the video on air.

But if you want to see the video you can go to our website and clicky-click away!

Most stations that did it this was will be reporting the highest number of unique clicks ever.

Archived