NEWS10 KXTV is now ABC 10!

Darius22

I don't really like it. ABC 10 sounds too generic and would fit better if it was an ABC O&O, but what make me not like that is because it's neighboring market (the Bay Area) has KGO which is branded as ABC 7. Not to mention many people (including me) were already used to the News10 branding and some even preferred it to ABC 10.

I don't really like it. ABC 10 sounds too generic and would fit better if it was an ABC O&O, but what make me not like that is because it's neighboring market (the Bay Area) has KGO which is branded as ABC 7. Not to mention many people (including me) were already used to the News10 branding and some even preferred it to ABC 10.

well they were using NEWS 10 since 1998.

Looks like they got bit by the ABC mandate...

No such thing. The only thing that ABC mandates of their affiliates on-air look is to add the ABC logo. It does not require them to use ABC [channel number] in their branding.

I'm not sure how it makes a difference if the station is an ABC O&O or not in deciding to add ABC to their branding... What does KGO have to do with it? Not sure I get the rationale behind your argument...

I'm not sure how it makes a difference if the station is an ABC O&O or not in deciding to add ABC to their branding... What does KGO have to do with it? Not sure I get the rationale behind your argument...
Because I thought that the O&O branding got to them which would be slightly confusing because some people outside of the Sacramento and Bay Area markets might think that they're sister stations right next to each other the way KOVR and KPIX (both CBS O&Os) are. But I forgot to mention that it would really be confusing because the ABC 10 branding is also used in KGTV's logo.

Because I thought that the O&O branding got to them which would be slightly confusing because some people outside of the Sacramento and Bay Area markets might think that they're sister stations right next to each other the way KOVR and KPIX (both CBS O&Os) are. But I forgot to mention that it would really be confusing because the ABC 10 branding is also used in KGTV's logo.

With all due respect...

So friggin' what? They are channel 10. They are affiliated with ABC. They are nowhere near San Diego. No one confuses KGO and KABC, and they have the same graphics.

This really is nothing complicated, and it's certainly nothing worth losing sleep over. [i miss the 'On/Off Rant' emoji]

well i remember back in 2014 they had a Promo using KGTV's Chopper since KXTV used to have a Helicopter called Air10 in which it was almost competing with KCRA's LiveCopter3 which is the best Helicopter in Sacramento right now.

With all due respect...

So friggin' what? They are channel 10. They are affiliated with ABC. They are nowhere near San Diego. No one confuses KGO and KABC, and they have the same graphics.

This really is nothing complicated, and it's certainly nothing worth losing sleep over. [i miss the 'On/Off Rant' emoji]

yeah plus they are using the Ganett/TEGNA "This Is Home" Graphics that way you will know they are owned by them.

Very very few people aside from the news junkies pay attention to that kind of stuff. I can assure you that few if any viewers will be confused by the branding, let alone assume they are "sister stations." In fact, many stations will refer to other [same network] affiliate in other markets as "sister stations" even if they don't have the same owner. Plus KGTV's logo and KXTV's logos are completely different. I don't think anyone will mistake one station with the other...

With all due respect...

I'm sure he was making a point and didn't know; no need to get worked up on somebody post. no offense but these network mandate branding is an overkill, but again the previous poster voice their opinion it all love here in tv news land lol.

Wasn't there branding NEWS 10 when they were affiliated with CBS?
Apparently as far back as 1983 according to Wikipedia before the old News10 logo got replaced with the new ABC 10 logo.

And I'm pretty sure that within about a week, if not more than that, the News10 logo in their website will be replaced with the ABC 10 logo to match the on-air branding.

This branding actually comes out of left field for me. IIRC, I think that KXTV is the first legacy TEGNA station (pre-London, pre-Belo) to use the "network, number" branding (i.e. NBC3, CBS10, etc.).

Half the News10 Set is now replaced with ABC10 Set. Same studio.

cHYV7RA.png

I went to Sac State in '98 and '99, so I remember the switch, and really was slow to like the one that is just now being replaced. I'll need to watch their online newscast tonight (I live in San Diego). I like the new one overall, but that drop shadow seemed very uneven.

This branding actually comes out of left field for me. IIRC, I think that KXTV is the first legacy TEGNA station (pre-London, pre-Belo) to use the "network, number" branding (i.e. NBC3, CBS10, etc.).

Tegna (then Gannett) kept the "ABC 25" branding for WJXX-TV/Jacksonville after their purchase of the station in 2000. Shortly thereafter, WJXX's sister-station WTLV went from "TLV 12" to "NBC 12".

Archived