NFL on TV Regional Maps (Week 1)

oklahomanewsman

Makes sense but for Cowboys fans down there that have Direct or Dish and can't get KXII 12.3 how are they able to watch Cowboys games in their area? Maybe that's why KOKH in Oklahoma City shows Cowboys games.

KXII-DT3 has been available on DirecTV since the day they launched local into local service in the Sherman-Ada market way back in 2009. And, to the best of my knowledge Dish made it available shortly thereafter in 2010.

The NFL really doesn't care if affiliate X is/isn't carried on whatever MVPD(s) that are available in your area. The game is available OTA. You can always put up an antenna. If your out of reach for OTA and don't want to pay or your chosen provider doesn't carry the particular channel...well, tough hop.

KOKH carries Cowboys games because they are of local/regional interest. Nothing more nothing less.

EDIT: I see Brother beat me to it while I was typing my reply.

What about in San Diego? Would they still cover the Chargers if they move up Interstate 5 to LA?

Then CBS Sports would have to make arrangements of putting the raiders on KCBS and the chargers on KCAL. with these conflicts there's a reason why DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket Unless NBC does something.

What about in San Diego? Would they still cover the Chargers if they move up Interstate 5 to LA?

Then CBS Sports would have to make arrangements of putting the raiders on KCBS and the chargers on KCAL. with these conflicts there's a reason why DirecTV has NFL Sunday Ticket Unless NBC does something.

I'm not even sure I totally follow what hypothetical situation is being posed here.

But, the NFL builds the schedule around teams that share "Primary Markets" so there are usually no TV conflicts. And, with the new "cross flex" it gives the league some more options to schedule around those conflicts in the shared markets. So, if two teams move to LA it's not even necessary that they be from opposite conferences. It wouldn't be the easiest thing to schedule but it could be done.

And, I suppose it's likely that if the Chargers move North that San Diego ends up becoming a "secondary market" for the team.

Honestly, I think you guys are way over-thinking this.

Guest Former Member 207

If the Chargers and Raiders were to re-locate to Los Angeles, it's pretty much a certainty that one of the two will switch conferences. Mark Davis, current owner of the Raiders, had indicated when he was recently interviewed about that possibility that he was willing to switch to the NFC...never mind the fact that it would break-up long-standing rivalries with the Chiefs, Broncos, and Chargers, plus other in-conferences foes like the Steelers (although that rivalry has been a bit dormant since the late '90s, when the Raiders were still decent). Even with cross-flexing, from a television standpoint, it would be easier for the Chargers and Raiders to be in opposite conferences, especially if this Carson stadium plan goes through and they're sharing the same stadium.

Which is also why, instead, I have the feeling that the Rams will make the move to L.A.; their owner owns a parcel of land at the old Hollywood Park racetrack in suburban Inglewood, and it's pretty much shovel-ready at this point.

Per KXII's website, their Fox subchannel is available on both DirecTV (on Channel 13) and Dish Network (Channel 20).

Thanks I thought that it wouldn't be available because most subchannels typically you wouldn't find those on DirecTV or Dish Network but I guess it's primarily for subchannel nets like MeTV, Antenna TV, etc.

I'm not even sure I totally follow what hypothetical situation is being posed here.

But, the NFL builds the schedule around teams that share "Primary Markets" so there are usually no TV conflicts. And, with the new "cross flex" it gives the league some more options to schedule around those conflicts in the shared markets. So, if two teams move to LA it's not even necessary that they be from opposite conferences. It wouldn't be the easiest thing to schedule but it could be done.

And, I suppose it's likely that if the Chargers move North that San Diego ends up becoming a "secondary market" for the team.

Honestly, I think you guys are way over-thinking this.

Well the reason why I bring up the Chargers is because I have a gut feeling that they're going to move up I-5 to LA unless the NFL tells Dean Spanos to get back to the negotiating table with the mayor of San Diego. I'm not sure if I would call SD a secondary market for the Chargers because there's a lot of Pro SD/Anti LA Sports fans who are either threatening to or have already stopped following the team because of all of this. Also as far as both of those teams are concerned one of those teams would likely switch over to the NFC so in that case either KTTV Fox 11 in LA will either carry Chargers or Raiders games (with CBS 2 in LA carrying the latter's games) IF both Raiders and Chargers end up in Los Angeles. Now if the Rams move to LA and the Chargers move with them (which is unlikely from what I've heard) then Rams games would air on KTTV FOX 11 and Chargers games would air on CBS 2 in LA so here are the possible teams that both KTTV and KCBS will air in 2016:

IF Raiders and Chargers move to LA:

KTTV: Raiders

KCBS: Chargers

or

KTTV: Chargers

KCBS: Raiders

IF Rams and Raiders or Chargers (again unlikely) move to LA:

KTTV: Rams

KCBS: Chargers or Raiders

That's unlikely because one of the teams (Raiders and Chargers) will be moving to the NFC (which would mean either Raiders or Chargers on KTTV with the latter on KCBS)

That's unlikely because one of the teams (Raiders and Chargers) will be moving to the NFC (which would mean either Raiders or Chargers on KTTV with the latter on KCBS)

yeah i guess. but then Rams (if they would) would have to be on KNBC Or KTLA. since Tribune Provides sports in some markets and NBC themselves provide NFL Football on Sundays

Guest Former Member 207
Well the reason why I bring up the Chargers is because I have a gut feeling that they're going to move up I-5 to LA unless the NFL tells Dean Spanos to get back to the negotiating table with the mayor of San Diego. I'm not sure if I would call SD a secondary market for the Chargers because there's a lot of Pro SD/Anti LA Sports fans who are either threatening to or have already stopped following the team because of all of this. Also as far as both of those teams are concerned one of those teams would likely switch over to the NFC so in that case either KTTV Fox 11 in LA will either carry Chargers or Raiders games (with CBS 2 in LA carrying the latter's games) IF both Raiders and Chargers end up in Los Angeles. Now if the Rams move to LA and the Chargers move with them (which is unlikely from what I've heard) then Rams games would air on KTTV FOX 11 and Chargers games would air on CBS 2 in LA so here are the possible teams that both KTTV and KCBS will air in 2016:

IF Raiders and Chargers move to LA:

KTTV: Raiders

KCBS: Chargers

or

KTTV: Chargers

KCBS: Raiders

IF Rams and Raiders or Chargers (again unlikely) move to LA:

KTTV: Rams

KCBS: Chargers or Raiders

Well, it wouldn't matter much if the people of San Diego want to be a secondary market for the Chargers (should the move actually happen)...the networks will televise as many available Chargers games into the San Diego market as warranted. One thing to remember here is that the networks decide what games are aired in whatever market; the individual stations have the right to request a game in place of another, and the network (CBS or Fox) usually gives the OK.

Both teams pretty much already have a presence here in Los Angeles...there's still tons of Raiders fans here from their L.A. days, plus they still have preseason games televised locally (on KTLA for the past decade), and they have a couple of team stores in the market (one at Universal CityWalk, the other in Moreno Valley, about 90 minutes or so from L.A.). The Chargers' presence besides preseason and most regular season games on KCBS is the fact that 30-percent of their season ticket base is from the L.A. market (the majority of that 30 percent is in Orange County). That's a big reason why the Chargers at least want to be one of the teams that want to move here--a piece of revenue in the L.A. market is perhaps equal to, if not better than, what they currently have in San Diego. I personally have mixed feelings about the matter, given that I'm a Chargers fan...selfishly, a move here to L.A. would actually give me a chance to see them in person, but on the other hand, that team is firmly entrenched in San Diego just like the military bases, the Zoo, Sea World, the beaches, and everything else that San Diego what it is--in other words, the Chargers belong in San Diego.

Moderators: I think we should move this thread to the sports section...just a thought.

Well, it wouldn't matter much if the people of San Diego want to be a secondary market for the Chargers (should the move actually happen)...the networks will televise as many available Chargers games into the San Diego market as warranted. One thing to remember here is that the networks decide what games are aired in whatever market; the individual stations have the right to request a game in place of another, and the network (CBS or Fox) usually gives the OK.

Both teams pretty much already have a presence here in Los Angeles...there's still tons of Raiders fans here from their L.A. days, plus they still have preseason games televised locally (on KTLA for the past decade), and they have a couple of team stores in the market (one at Universal CityWalk, the other in Moreno Valley, about 90 minutes or so from L.A.). The Chargers' presence besides preseason and most regular season games on KCBS is the fact that 30-percent of their season ticket base is from the L.A. market (the majority of that 30 percent is in Orange County). That's a big reason why the Chargers at least want to be one of the teams that want to move here--a piece of revenue in the L.A. market is perhaps equal to, if not better than, what they currently have in San Diego. I personally have mixed feelings about the matter, given that I'm a Chargers fan...selfishly, a move here to L.A. would actually give me a chance to see them in person, but on the other hand, that team is firmly entrenched in San Diego just like the military bases, the Zoo, Sea World, the beaches, and everything else that San Diego what it is--in other words, the Chargers belong in San Diego.

Moderators: I think we should move this thread to the sports section...just a thought.

I'm with you on the last sentence the Chargers belong in San Diego. also should the Chargers move to LA (with the Raiders) I think KCBS will continue to carry most Chargers games and I think they will continue to do so regardless if the Chargers move up I-5 or not Now for the Raiders probably most regular season games (should they switch to the NFC) would be on KTTV because Fox has the rights to the NFC.

yeah i guess. but then Rams (if they would) would have to be on KNBC Or KTLA. since Tribune Provides sports in some markets and NBC themselves provide NFL Football on Sundays

KTLA if the Rams move to LA would probably carry Rams preseason games Sunday Night Football games involving the Rams would wound up on NBC 4 and if the Rams are on NFL Network they would be on either CBS 2 or KCAL 9 mainly because CBS simulcasts and produces Thursday Night Football games for the NFL Network Monday Night Football games involving the Rams would most likely air on ABC 7 (as they're owned by Disney which owns 80% of ESPN)

At the end of the day I think NBC 4, ABC 7, CBS 2, FOX 11 and either KCAL 9 or KTLA 5 will carry most of their respective teams' preseason, regular season and postseason (should that particular team make the playoffs) games involving their teams it could be like this:

FOX 11: Rams or Raiders or Chargers

CBS 2: Raiders or Chargers (Rams mostly Thursday Night Football)

NBC 4: Sunday Night Football involving Rams, Raiders or Chargers

ABC 7: ESPN Monday Night Football (again involving Rams, Raiders or Chargers)

KTLA 5: Rams or Raiders preseason Football

CBS 2/KCAL 9: Chargers Preseason Football

I'm not going to say who goes to LA who stays in their home market, etc.

http://www.kusi.com/story/30083186/stadium-watch-nfl-guidelines-for-relocation

Also they said it all depends on St. Louis and Rams owner Stan Kroenke plus it really doesn't matter whether there's a team or 2 in Los Angeles expect the next Television Contracts fee to be significantly higher than when they negotiated the current TV Contract a few years back.

If the Chargers and Raiders were to re-locate to Los Angeles, it's pretty much a certainty that one of the two will switch conferences. Mark Davis, current owner of the Raiders, had indicated when he was recently interviewed about that possibility that he was willing to switch to the NFC...

The belief that the league would have to move a team to the NFC in the event two AFC teams move to LA might be somewhat misguided in my opinion. Hypothetically, the league could manage to schedule two AFC teams in LA. You'd have 2 games against each other, 4 games vs. NFC teams on FOX and the 2 bye weeks. Then you'd just use the non-Sunday afternoon game windows and crossflex to eliminate any remaining conflicts. So, 2 MNF games, 2 Crossflex, 3 TNF/Thanksgiving, 2 Saturday Night. That's 17 weeks and no conflicts. Just to illustrate it here is a quick schedule I threw together using the Chargers and Raiders opponents and the scheduling matrix for this season:

Chargers

1. Vs. Den, ESPN - Monday Night

2. At MIN, CBS - Sunday Early

3. At Raiders, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

4. Vs. DET, FOX - Sunday Late

5. At CIN, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

6. Bye

7. Vs. KC, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

8. Vs. MIA, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

9. At DEN, CBS - Sunday Late

10. Vs. CHI, Fox - Sunday Late

11. At BAL, FOX - Sunday Early

12. At GB, NBC - Thursday Night

13. Vs. PIT, NFLN/CBS - Thursday Night

14. At KC, CBS - Sunday Early

15. Vs. CLE, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

16. At JAX, NFLN - Saturday Night

17. Vs. Raiders, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

Raiders

1. At PIT, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

2. Vs. KC, FOX - Sunday Late

3. Vs. Chargers , CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

4. At TEN, CBS - Sunday Early

5. At DEN, NFLN/CBS - Thursday Night

6. Vs. BAL, CBS - Sunday Early (or Late)

7. Bye

8. Vs. NYJ, ESPN - Monday Night

9. Vs. MIN, FOX - Sunday Early

10. At CLE, CBS - Sunday Early

11. At KC, CBS - Sunday Late

12. At DET, CBS - Thursday Early

13. Vs. CIN, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

14. Vs. GB, FOX - Sunday Late

15. At CHI, NFLN - Saturday Night

16. Vs. DEN, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

17. At Chargers, CBS - Sunday Late (or Early)

Also, in that hypothetical schedule I avoided scheduling both teams at home as well. So, if the two teams shared a stadium it could still work. And, I could shuffle it around a little bit and have the Raiders At KC and Chargers At JAX games taking place in London negating the use of the crossflex. Likewise, I didn't put any games on SNF so there is some flexibility there as well. Anyway, the point is it could work.

As to Davis' comments, He is only throwing that out there because he has nothing else to use as a bargaining chip. He can't go it alone and likely doesn't want to pay rent to Kroenke. The only avenue to LA is to hitch his wagon with the Chargers on the potential Carson stadium. So, he throws out that he's willing to move to the NFC if that's what it takes. Of course, the flip side of the coin that is rarely discussed when mentioning this hypothetical is who would then go the other direction from NFC to AFC? You don't have ton of choices west of the Mississippi. Easy answer would be St. Louis but, that would likely mean they were passed up in the LA derby and I can't see them playing nice if they get left out. So, then what?

The belief that the league would have to move a team to the NFC in the event two AFC teams move to LA might be somewhat misguided in my opinion. Hypothetically, the league could manage to schedule two AFC teams in LA. You'd have 2 games against each other, 4 games vs. NFC teams on FOX and the 2 bye weeks. Then you'd just use the non-Sunday afternoon game windows and crossflex to eliminate any remaining conflicts. So, 2 MNF games, 2 Crossflex, 3 TNF/Thanksgiving, 2 Saturday Night. That's 17 weeks and no conflicts. Just to illustrate it here is a quick schedule I threw together using the Chargers and Raiders opponents and the scheduling matrix for this season:

Also, in that hypothetical schedule I avoided scheduling both teams at home as well. So, if the two teams shared a stadium it could still work. And, I could shuffle it around a little bit and have the Raiders At KC and Chargers At JAX games taking place in London negating the use of the crossflex. Likewise, I didn't put any games on SNF so there is some flexibility there as well. Anyway, the point is it could work.

As to Davis' comments, He is only throwing that out there because he has nothing else to use as a bargaining chip. He can't go it alone and likely doesn't want to pay rent to Kroenke. The only avenue to LA is to hitch his wagon with the Chargers on the potential Carson stadium. So, he throws out that he's willing to move to the NFC if that's what it takes. Of course, the flip side of the coin that is rarely discussed when mentioning this hypothetical is who would then go the other direction from NFC to AFC? You don't have ton of choices west of the Mississippi. Easy answer would be St. Louis but, that would likely mean they were passed up in the LA derby and I can't see them playing nice if they get left out. So, then what?

Not misguided at all. I am pretty sure that every team must appear on TNF with only a handful of teams appearing twice. There are only 1-2 Saturdays of football. Too many variables. So that's a stretch. Also they've mentioned that each team would essentially have a 9th home game if Chargers and Raiders are the two teams which would be unfair. If Chargers & Raiders are the two teams, one of them WILL move to NFC.

Arizona and Seattle are the two teams mentioned for a move to AFC.

My two cents: move Jaguars to LA, switch them to NFC West, St. Louis Rams to NFC South, and Carolina Panthers to AFC South. If that doesn't happen, the next best thing would be for Kroenke to buy the Raiders and move them to LA alone.

To me it just doesn't make any sense to have 2 AFC teams in One Market just do like what New York has done (1 in NFC and 1 in AFC) and just call it a day. Just my 2 cents

Not misguided at all. I am pretty sure that every team must appear on TNF with only a handful of teams appearing twice. There are only 1-2 Saturdays of football. Too many variables. So that's a stretch. Also they've mentioned that each team would essentially have a 9th home game if Chargers and Raiders are the two teams which would be unfair. If Chargers & Raiders are the two teams, one of them WILL move to NFC.

Arizona and Seattle are the two teams mentioned for a move to AFC.

My two cents: move Jaguars to LA, switch them to NFC West, St. Louis Rams to NFC South, and Carolina Panthers to AFC South. If that doesn't happen, the next best thing would be for Kroenke to buy the Raiders and move them to LA alone.

If anything I see Jaguars as Rams' replacement in St. Louis but I highly doubt it'll materialize I give Jaguars to STL the same likelihood as them to LA (0%). For me in St. Louis it's either Rams or no team at all.

Archived