NFL on TV Regional Maps (Week 1)

oklahomanewsman

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2015&wk=1

I'm not sure if this belongs in here or in the Sport Center thread but I did go ahead and post this in here and I'll probably do it on Thursdays to discuss which games your local market gets games on, etc. So couple changes on some games in some markets and I'll go over these changes with you.

NFL on CBS:

• Atlanta GA; Harrisburg PA: MIA-WSH to IND-BUF

• Spartanburg SC: MIA-WSH to KC-HOU

• Beckley and Clarksburg WV: CLE-NYJ to MIA-WSH

• Wheeling and Clarksburg WV: CIN-OAK to BAL-DEN

NFL on Fox:

• Los Angeles CA; Columbus OH: GB-CHI to DET-SD

• Fresno CA; Tulsa OK: GB-CHI to SEA-STL

• Bristol TN: JAX-CAR to GB-CHI

So for those of you that live in those affected markets there ya go. Enjoy the games everybody!

Why does the NFL force some regions not to have both of CBS's games?

I have no idea. Here's what I got for the first 2 weeks of the season I was checking my guide earlier and seeing what was on over the next week or 2:

Week 1:

on KWTV:

Noon: Chiefs at Texans

3:25pm: Ravens at Broncos

on KOKH:

Noon: Packers at Bears

don't have a 3:25pm game on KOKH

Week 2:

on KWTV:

Noon: Texans at Panthers

don't have a 3:25pm game on KWTV

on KOKH:

Noon: Falcons at New York Giants

3:25pm: Cowboys at Eagles

that's the first 2 weeks of the season I probably will edit this to just "NFL on TV Regional Maps" and put KOKH/KWTV's games on here every few weeks and see what everyone else has in their areas.

I checked to see if I could edit the post couldn't find it. I'll probably just post every 2 weeks (so next such discussion is for weeks 3 and 4.

Not sure if this is the right response, but in primary markets (and likely secondary) where there are two teams (NY and Bay Area), those affiliates are prohibited from showing doubleheaders unless the one team is playing a night game or has a bye. I think the answer is a bit more complicated but that's the simple version.

So the home teams on the singleheader network cannot show a game in their markets on the doubleheader network at the same time as the home team's game.

I find it pretty odd because KOKH isn't airing the 2nd game of the Doubleheader (Lions/Chargers) while the Cowboys (which is one of the Secondary Markets for us) doesn't play until Sunday Night. If I could find a way to explain to somebody in here why the NFL does this that would be great.

http://506sports.com/nfl.php?yr=2015&wk=1

I'm not sure if this belongs in here or in the Sport Center thread but I did go ahead and post this in here and I'll probably do it on Thursdays to discuss which games your local market gets games on, etc. So couple changes on some games in some markets and I'll go over these changes with you.

JP Kirby does an amazing job with the 506 site. He puts a great deal of time and energy into what is essentially a "hobby." The distribution maps he puts together can and do sometimes change. He periodically makes revisions to those all the way up to game time on Sundays. And, sometimes a late change/switch can on the rare occasion slip by him. Although, he is accurate 99% of the time which is a testament to the hard work he puts into putting those maps together. Lastly, remember he does this as a "hobby" and the maps are unofficial.

FYI - If you're into College Pigskin I know JP has a "viewing guide" on the 506. But, Matt Sarzyniak does an amazing job covering the ins and outs broadcasting with regards to the College Football (and Men's Basketball, too.) I'd highly recommend his mattsarzsports.com site which houses a weekly "viewing guide" along with details/breakdowns of each conference's TV deal.

TVNewsLover pretty much anwered this already. But, with the exception of week 17, the NFL doesn't allow opposing games to be televised in a teams primary market when they are at home*. In short, if the local team is playing at home...It is the only game allowed to be televised in that "primary market" at that time, even if the opposite network has a doubleheader. So, if the local team is at home and being televised on the singleheader network that teams "primary market" misses out on the second game on the doubleheader network that week.

*There are some other minor exceptions and, the rule can and has been waived from time to time as well for various reasons.

I find it pretty odd because KOKH isn't airing the 2nd game of the Doubleheader (Lions/Chargers) while the Cowboys (which is one of the Secondary Markets for us) doesn't play until Sunday Night. If I could find a way to explain to somebody in here why the NFL does this that would be great.

First, based on your posting history you appear to be in Oklahoma. If so, you are not in a "secondary market" for any team.

Second, with the exception of week 17, only one network (Fox or CBS) gets to air a doubleheader each week. The other network is the singleheader network and only gets to air one game each week. Fox and CBS split the doubleheaders equally in weeks 1-16. For 2015, CBS is the doubleheader network in weeks 1,3,5,6.9,10,12 & 15. And, Fox is the doubleheader network in weeks 2,4,7,8,11,13,14 & 16. Both networks televise a doubleheader in week 17.

Since I'm a member of that boards, all I have to say is...come on over. BTW, you should see what user name I use while I'm on! I'll give the explanation later.

Cool I'll have to do it some time

I frequent the boards over at the 506 as well and they are much less tolerant of nonsense over there. I personally don't think it's heavily moderated or anything. But, if you think posters here can get harsh you might be in for a rude awakening over there. If you step out of line you will be driven off the boards by the other members or removed in short order. Just a fair warning.

Lastly, Weeters if you stumble across this thread maybe you could shuttle this thread over to Sports Center since it's more appropriate for that board.

JP Kirby does an amazing job with the 506 site. He puts a great deal of time and energy into what is essentially a "hobby." The distribution maps he puts together can and do sometimes change. He periodically makes revisions to those all the way up to game time on Sundays. And, sometimes a late change/switch can on the rare occasion slip by him. Although, he is accurate 99% of the time which is a testament to the hard work he puts into putting those maps together. Lastly, remember he does this as a "hobby" and the maps are unofficial.

FYI - If you're into College Pigskin I know JP has a "viewing guide" on the 506. But, Matt Sarzyniak does an amazing job covering the ins and outs broadcasting with regards to the College Football (and Men's Basketball, too.) I'd highly recommend his mattsarzsports.com site which houses a weekly "viewing guide" along with details/breakdowns of each conference's TV deal.

Lastly, Weeters if you stumble across this thread maybe you could shuttle this thread over to Sports Center since it's more appropriate for that board.

I'll have to check out that college site when I get a chance. My next such post (in a few weeks since how I got Week 2 pretty much covered) will probably wound up in that Sports thread. I just didn't know whether it belonged in here or in the Sport Center thread. will remember that next time. Btw do you know why Oklahoma doesn't have any secondary ties to any team? Just curious because it seams to me like the reason why we're not in a secondary market is while most of Oklahoma is Dallas Cowboys territory the Oklahoma Panhandle portions of Northern and Northeastern Oklahoma is Chiefs territory. That's just my guess at this point

I'll have to check out that college site when I get a chance. My next such post (in a few weeks since how I got Week 2 pretty much covered) will probably wound up in that Sports thread. I just didn't know whether it belonged in here or in the Sport Center thread. will remember that next time. Btw do you know why Oklahoma doesn't have any secondary ties to any team? Just curious because it seams to me like the reason why we're not in a secondary market is while most of Oklahoma is Dallas Cowboys territory the Oklahoma Panhandle portions of Northern and Northeastern Oklahoma is Chiefs territory. That's just my guess at this point

Generally to be designated/claimed as a "Secondary Market" by a team the following applies:

• A portion of that DMA must be within 75 miles of the team's stadium.*
  • The market doesn't contain another NFL team.**
  • The DMA can only be claimed by one team in each conference (AFC & NFC)***

*The Panthers claim a large swath of the Carolinas and without looking it's possible some of their "Secondary Markets" might fall outside the 75 mile radius.

**Baltimore and Washington claim each others market as a "Secondary Market".

***The Youngstown, OH DMA is a "Secondary Market" for both the Browns and Steelers.

So, given that there are some exceptions those could be viewed more as guidelines than rules as they seem a little fungible. Also, it worth noting that not all markets within 75 miles of a team's stadium are designated/claimed as a secondary market.

The closest "Secondary Markets" to you are the Wichita Falls and Sherman-Ada DMAs. Both are designated/claimed as a "Secondary Market" by the Cowboys. However, there is nothing stopping a local affilate from picking up games of regional/local interest. They just aren't bound by the NFL secondary market rules.

Generally to be designated/claimed as a "Secondary Market" by a team the following applies:

• A portion of that DMA must be within 75 miles of the team's stadium.*
  • The market doesn't contain another NFL team.**
  • The DMA can only be claimed by one team in each conference (AFC & NFC)***

*The Panthers claim a large swath of the Carolinas and without looking it's possible some of their "Secondary Markets" might fall outside the 75 mile radius.

**Baltimore and Washington claim each others market as a "Secondary Market".

***The Youngstown, OH DMA is a "Secondary Market" for both the Browns and Steelers.

So, given that there are some exceptions those could be viewed more as guidelines than rules as they seem a little fungible. Also, it worth noting that not all markets within 75 miles of a team's stadium are designated/claimed as a secondary market.

The closest "Secondary Markets" to you are the Wichita Falls and Sherman-Ada DMAs. Both are designated/claimed as a "Secondary Market" by the Cowboys. However, there is nothing stopping a local affilate from picking up games of regional/local interest. They just aren't bound by the NFL secondary market rules.

Yeah but I think in the Sherman Market their Fox affiliate is on a CBS Station (KXII 12.2).

I used to get raiders games on KQCA (MyNetworkTV) but idk about it now since 49ers and raiders come on either KOVR (CBS) and KTXL (FOX). sometimes i get Games coming out of the KPIX Feed whenever 49ers play.

That's strange considering that KPIX carries most Raiders games but IF the Raiders reverse their 1995 relocation and become the Los Angeles Raiders once again would KPIX still be willing to carry Raiders games?

That's strange considering that KPIX carries most Raiders games but IF the Raiders reverse their 1995 relocation and become the Los Angeles Raiders once again would KPIX still be willing to carry Raiders games?

If that happens then they would have to move their Sports operations from KPIX to KCAL.

Yeah but I think in the Sherman Market their Fox affiliate is on a CBS Station (KXII 12.2).

The affiliation being on a subchannel doesn't exempt the station from the "secondary market" rules. It's the same as if it was on the primary stream.

I used to get raiders games on KQCA (MyNetworkTV) but idk about it now since 49ers and raiders come on either KOVR (CBS) and KTXL (FOX). sometimes i get Games coming out of the KPIX Feed whenever 49ers play.

The KQCA games are preseason games. TV rights to preseason games are a totally different animal as the rights are held by the individual teams.

If that happens then they would have to move their Sports operations from KPIX to KCAL.

What??

The affiliation being on a subchannel doesn't exempt the station from the "secondary market" rules. It's the same as if it was on the primary stream.

The KQCA games are preseason games. TV rights to preseason games are a totally different animal as the rights are held by the individual teams.

What??

I meant Raiders Team syndication from KPIX to KCAL sorry.

The affiliation being on a subchannel doesn't exempt the station from the "secondary market" rules. It's the same as if it was on the primary stream

Makes sense but for Cowboys fans down there that have Direct or Dish and can't get KXII 12.3 how are they able to watch Cowboys games in their area? Maybe that's why KOKH in Oklahoma City shows Cowboys games.

Archived