CBS Overnight News

Action Newsroom

CBS debuted the CBS Overnight News early this morning.

It is the replacement of the long-running Up to the Minute, and to me, is almost similar.

Instead of a regular anchor reading the previous day's news during the overnight, a package of reports from other CBS News shows air, including the CBS Evening News, 60 Minutes, Sunday Morning and Face the Nation.

If anything, it kinda feels I'm still watching Up to the Minute under a different name and with the other CBS News' shows' names not wiped off. I will say any early morning news program is better than nothing. If anything, they should've changed the name from UTTM to Overnight News--it feels like I'm getting something similar.

Jeff Glor anchored the inaugural broadcast, but I'm not sure if either he'll be the regular anchor or if the program will be fronted by someone not really permanent.

The graphics are the same as they are on the Evening News. They look great. It is also produced in the same studio as the Eve News in the Broadcast Center. So, if anything, it has a nice of that as well.

Anyway, I think this program will do very well--If for the fact this will stay (or limp) on for years just because.

What do you guys think?

The first half-hour was basically a replay of the "CBS Evening News" from earlier in the evening, with the opening, closing, and some of the show bumpers re-recorded to indicate the "CBS Overnight News." The second half-hour seemed to be actually produced for the overnight news and consisted mainly of features from "CBS Sunday Morning" and clips from "Face the Nation."

It will be interesting to see how the show is handled during the week and on nights when the "CBS Evening News" is preempted due to an NFL double-header or other sports run-over, etc.

The first half-hour was basically a replay of the "CBS Evening News" from earlier in the evening, with the opening, closing, and some of the show bumpers re-recorded to indicate the "CBS Overnight News." The second half-hour seemed to be actually produced for the overnight news and consisted mainly of features from "CBS Sunday Morning" and clips from "Face the Nation."

It will be interesting to see how the show is handled during the week and on nights when the "CBS Evening News" is preempted due to an NFL double-header or other sports run-over, etc.

Even when there is a CBS doubleheader, the West Coast still gets a new "CBS Evening News", right?

Missed the remake/debut, so thanx to whoever put this online.

The Overnight News clips look *much* more buttoned-up and professional than UTTM did; it almost makes the predecessor look sleepy and boring in comparison.

Meanwhile, the Morning News clips look much fresher and morning-ready to me than before. Like the open and logo.

It'll also be interesting how the show is handled during breaking news events that occur in the time between the airtime of the CBS Evening News' West Coast edition and that of the Overnight News, since Up to the Minute was able to cover those (such as the Charleston church massacre and Lafayette movie theater shooting this past summer) on account of it being produced in late night. I'm not sure whether the originally produced segments in the main newsroom are pre-recorded earlier in the evening or recorded closer to the program's airtime.

On a side note, the altered This Morning graphics for the CBS Morning News are actually a nice modification on its de facto leadout's look.

Archived