Only 1 Station In My Area With A Helicopter. Is This True?

Darius22

According to this 2013 article in TVNewsCheck KXTV signed a lease for the helicopter but it would only be used sparingly.

I'm surprised KOVR doesn't have their own bird. Seems like most CBS O&O's have one.

yeah the only closest they have to a chopper is From either (For some reason) KGO's Sky7 HD or KPIX Chopper5.

Apparently KCRA's LiveCopter3 is the only station that has a helicopter since KXTV's Air 10 and KTXL's SkyFox40 somewhat retired their Choppers. I wonder if those couldn't compete with KCRA?

Helicopters don't compete with each other— instead, they burn through large piles of cash. They're nice to have and are a great promotional tool, but they don't always justify their cost.

Helicopter sharing also isn't anything new. In Denver, there's only one helicopter for all the stations, even though they pretend they have their own by continuing to use their separate chopper brandings. KDVR left the pool for a while, but I believe they're back. And yes, the same pictures can and do show up on all four stations.

Helicopters don't compete with each other— instead, they burn through large piles of cash. They're nice to have and are a great promotional tool, but they don't always justify their cost.
The events of the past year in Baltimore definitely have justified the cost for the two birds for WBAL & WJZ from Baltimore plus the helicopter from DC that was overhead most evenings.

Plus they are good for the car chases and showing angles that a person couldn't get on the ground. I remember during the Columbia Mall Shooting in 2014 WBAL's helicopter was the only one who had an HD camera that could see through the malls skylights to show the use of the bomb robot.

Here in the Cleveland market Tribune's WJW has SkyFox. Which was brought back in early 2011 during "Local TV" ownership days. SkyFox was grounded in 2008 like other choppers that year. I know WKYC, WEWS, and WOIO had one. When the rest of the Cleveland stations grounded their choppers WOIO made sure the viewers knew they were only one in town with a chopper. Now WJW does air a tease promo from time to time with SkyFox and saying "the only chopper in town". WJW's skyfox isn't full HD, 16x9 digital WS.

If I had a TV station I would name my helicopter "Spy Eye 1000".

I would have SpyEye shoot all kinds of stuff, but we would NEVER show it on the air. I would tell the pilots to always fly low and use that zoom.

When people call the newsroom and ask..

"When can I see the SpyEye video?"

I would tell them...

"Never, because we are saving it all for the government".

That will freak everyone out on Facebook and Twitter...and my newscast will be #1 in it's very first ratings book.

Or to really piss people off I will use a Robinson R-44 Diesel...one smokey and noisy moo-fo.

Where I live at I get Oklahoma City stations and the only English language news station to not have a chopper is KOKH. KFOR (Bob Moore Chopper 4) KOCO (Sky 5) and KWTV (Bob Mills SkyNews 9 HD) all have choppers and out of the 3 stations in OKC that have choppers KOCO's Sky 5 is the only helicopter used in the mornings

WOWK had a chopper once between the years of 1997 to 2003. Was the only one in WV. When WV Media bought WOWK it was kept on for awhile.

I thought WSAZ, being the long-dominant station in West Virginia, would have enough in their budget to afford for a chopper themselves.

Meanwhile, WDSU at one point in the '80s had "Sky 6", which was the first (and perhaps only) news chopper in New Orleans. And to get aerial shots of what Hurricane Katrina did to the Mississippi coast, WLOX used sister station WLBT's chopper (the only one in Mississippi).

IIRC, WCNC used to have a chopper called "AirStar" (previously called "AirStar 6" and "AirStar 36") and I haven't seen them use it since. WBTV ("Sky 3") and WSOC TV ("Chopper 9 Skyzoom") still have their own respected choppers.

• 2 weeks later...

In Columbus, OH, all three network affiliates have a helicopter: Chopper 10, Chopper 4 and Sky 6. Honestly, it's kind of overkill for the size of the market. WBNS makes fairly regular use of its bird and the others less so.

In Tampa, only there are only two helicopters: Eagle 8 and Action Air One (WFTS, WTVT, WTSP). They all used to have a bird but budget cuts caused WFTS and WTVT to combine forces. WTSP then dropped it's longtime Sky 10 in 2009.

Archived