Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They'll have to wait to get evidence for that "failing station waiver" to sell KASW (they've only owned the station for a year). There's not much of a market for standalone CW stations, plus there's multiple duopolies in Phoenix, and I don't think Scripps or TEGNA could buy KASW without a FSW.

I'm fairly sure there are more than eight independent media voices in Phoenix, even counting full-power stations. This count goes up by one or two if the stations in way outlying areas are included:

KAET Arizona PBS

Meredith: KTVK-KPHO

Fox: KSAZ-KUTP

Tegna: KPNX

Scripps: KNXV

Univision: KTVW

Telemundo: KTAZ

TBN: KPAZ

Ion: KPPX

Nexstar: KASW

The main problem is that if Ion were to sell in the incentive auction, there would be only nine unique owners left.

Would KNAZ in Flagstaff count as a duopoly for Tegna since its a satellite of KPNX? That would leave Scripps as the only suitor that could absorb KASW.

But back to the subject at hand...Gray could be a player in Green Bay especially since they took WLUC off of Sinclair's hands for WSBT.

I could see Meredith going for something in the Quad Cities and either Marshall or Bayou City getting the rest...especially in tougher places to sell like Terre Haute or Fort Wayne...

Would KNAZ in Flagstaff count as a duopoly for Tegna since its a satellite of KPNX? That would leave Scripps as the only suitor that could absorb KASW.

But back to the subject at hand...Gray could be a player in Green Bay especially since they took WLUC off of Sinclair's hands for WSBT.

I could see Meredith going for something in the Quad Cities and either Marshall or Bayou City getting the rest...especially in tougher places to sell like Terre Haute or Fort Wayne...

The FCC would never let anything associated with Nexstar grab WTHI in Terre Haute, since that would give them a monopoly in the market.

I'm shocked, too. WSLS Local 10, anyone? Plus, a third duopoly in Jacksonville? Oh, boy...

"Local 10" would have been way more likely under Nexstar. Graham has moved away from the "Local" branding (see KPRC, WKMG)

Anyway...I hope the WSLS folks are partying, because they got damn lucky. Not only escaping the Death Star...but getting Graham?

Raise your hand if you ever saw Graham buying a station in Roanoke...lol

They'll have to wait to get evidence for that "failing station waiver" to sell KASW (they've only owned the station for a year). There's not much of a market for standalone CW stations, plus there's multiple duopolies in Phoenix, and I don't think Scripps or TEGNA could buy KASW without a FSW.

There really isn't...save for the few out there that have actual news departments. The CW affil can easily be moved to a digital subchannel with no major difference in content.

I think you'll see a lot of standalone CW and My stations (esp. the latter) become spectrum with the affiliations migrating to subchannels.

"Local 10" would have been way more likely under Nexstar. Graham has moved away from the "Local" branding (see KPRC, WKMG)

Anyway...I hope the WSLS folks are partying, because they got damn lucky. Not only escaping the Death Star...but getting Graham?

Raise your hand if you ever saw Graham buying a station in Roanoke...lol

Nope!

Roanoke:

WDBJ 7.1/7.2 = Gray

WSLS 10 = Graham

WSET 13 = Sinclair

WFXR 27/WWCW 21 = Nexstar

Yep... WSLS 10 got lucky. Well needed investments for them and to be honest, even with the amount of news they have now, I think they will add more.

There really isn't...save for the few out there that have actual news departments. The CW affil can easily be moved to a digital subchannel with no major difference in content.

I think you'll see a lot of standalone CW and My stations (esp. the latter) become spectrum with the affiliations migrating to subchannels.

And in some cases, like WHP, they already have migrated to subchannels

And in some cases, like WHP, they already have migrated to subchannels

Or WBUW/Madison or WLOO/Jackson losing affils to subchannels of WMTV and WJTV respectively.

CW doesn't care if it's on a main signal or subchannel because at the end of the same day the same amount of people are going to be able to pick up the programming.

Or WBUW/Madison or WLOO/Jackson losing affils to subchannels of WMTV and WJTV respectively.

CW doesn't care if it's on a main signal or subchannel because at the end of the same day the same amount of people are going to be able to pick up the programming.

Actually... The CW in Jackson was on WRBJ 34 which dropped The CW as soon as it went all religious with TBN.

Bayou City and Marshall may as well be the new Mission broadcasting. At least they're separate companies.

I thought Marshall is another Mission, just minority-owned. Bayou City AFAIK is separate from Nexstar.

I thought Marshall is another Mission, just minority-owned. Bayou City AFAIK is separate from Nexstar.

Bayou City is a pure-play owner/operator. Remember, before it bought WEVV, the company once owned KXVA/KIDY/KIDZ. The difference between Bayou City when it owned those stations and now is noticeable, since it made a decent investment in WEVV and re-established a news department (KXVA/KIDY's current news department didn't get started until London Broadcasting took over it, beforehand its news programming consisted mainly of short-form segments).

Nexstar simply sold WEVV to Bayou City because the FCC's scrutiny of LMAs and JSAs halted its plans to form a virtual triopoly with WEHT/WTVW after it acquired ComCorp; Nexstar agreed to let Bayou City acquire the non-license assets as well as the license when it spun WEVV off.

I should point out regarding the WCWJ sale to Graham, that it would create that company's first duopoly. All of its stations up 'till now have been operated standalone. One question, though, do any of you think that Graham will try to shift The CW to WJXT or, because of its continued strength since it parted ways with CBS in 2002, will it operate WJXT and WCWJ a la KTVK/KASW before they were split up (with the news-producing station, WJXT in this case, staying an indie and WCWJ remaining a network affiliate)?

Bayou City is a pure-play owner/operator. Remember, before it bought WEVV, the company once owned KXVA/KIDY/KIDZ. The difference between Bayou City when it owned those stations and now is noticeable, since it made a decent investment in WEVV and re-established a news department (KXVA/KIDY's current news department didn't get started until London Broadcasting took over it, beforehand its news programming consisted mainly of short-form segments).

Nexstar simply sold WEVV to Bayou City because the FCC's scrutiny of LMAs and JSAs halted its plans to form a virtual triopoly with WEHT/WTVW after it acquired ComCorp; Nexstar agreed to let Bayou City acquire the non-license assets as well as the license when it spun WEVV off.

I should point out regarding the WCWJ sale to Graham, that it would create that company's first duopoly. All of its stations up 'till now have been operated standalone. One question, though, do any of you think that Graham will try to shift The CW to WJXT or, because of its continued strength since it parted ways with CBS in 2002, will it operate WJXT and WCWJ a la KTVK/KASW before they were split up (with the news-producing station, WJXT in this case, staying an indie and WCWJ remaining a network affiliate)?

Short-forrm segments and carrying KABB 29 in San Antonio's weekday morning 5:00-9:00am and nightly 9:00pm newscasts with the Sports show (9:50pm weeknights and 9:30pm weekends).

No. They'll go the KTVK/KASW route with WJXT remaining as Indie and WCWJ remaining as The CW.

Yea. Of course this is not the first time that Graham has attempted to form a duopoly. Some of us remember when WTVJ was down in those South Florida dumps.

Yep. The failed 2008 duopoly of WTVJ and WPLG. Long FCC wait times and economic issues were to blame.

Yep. The failed 2008 duopoly of WTVJ and WPLG. Long FCC wait times and economic issues were to blame.

Also public opposition. Who would want to own two Big 4 affiliates in a major market like Miami?

Yea. Of course this is not the first time that Graham has attempted to form a duopoly. Some of us remember when WTVJ was down in those South Florida dumps.

Also public opposition. Who would want to own two Big 4 affiliates in a major market like Miami?

Remembered it so well. I was against this deal from the start. WVIT was also on the selling block under the old NBCU regime.

Also to keep in mind, even though the DOJ had their oppositions, the FTC eventually cleared the deal to go through. It was the inaction from the FCC that lead to the Post to call off the sale before the end of the year.

Archived