Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Same goes for Nexstar

Yessssssss! Dude, that's what I've been saying all along! Nexstar could learn a few lessons from companies that look beyond just tickling a shareholders pocket in the short-term.

Nexstar and Sinclair are the worst in that regard. Glad you finally see it. I quoted your post after all. :D

Yessssssss! Dude, that's what I've been saying all along! Nexstar could learn a few lessons from companies that look beyond just tickling a shareholders pocket in the short-term.

Nexstar and Sinclair are the worst in that regard. Glad you finally see it. I quoted your post after all. :D

It seems you may be the one misunderstanding, or really, both of us are. The reason why I have a grudging respect for Perry Sook and David Smith is that they see how the future is already happening, such as consumers cutting costs instead of just companies (though, those 2 do it often), and we don't, especially you.

They also realize that even the short term leads to long term, the results depend on the actions taken.

It seems you may be the one misunderstanding, or really, both of us are. The reason why I have a grudging respect for Perry Sook and David Smith is that they see how the future is already happening, such as consumers cutting costs instead of just companies (though, those 2 do it often), and we don't, especially you.

No, no misunderstanding here. The cutting of resources, for the sake of cutting and much like what happened to radio, only speeds up cord-cutting and a migration to other information sources. A top-shelf news brand, with a backing of a great team, that doesn't cut corners, can and does still win.

Read what I said earlier. If a station is over-bloated, that is one thing. The MG stations aren't. They need major investment in areas of news, not cutting. Cord-cutting is happening some. Some of it is over-hyped. Nexstar and Sinclair aren't the saviors of television. They are much like Cumulus and Clear Channel. Look at their stock prices today, compared to 10-20 years ago. Point proven. It's not all about share price.

The consumer wants a great product, with the resources to back it all up. Cheapness is a turn-off and in that regard, you are right - more cord-cutting will happen!

No, no misunderstanding here. The cutting of resources, for the sake of cutting and much like what happened to radio, only speeds up cord-cutting and a migration to other information sources. A top-shelf news brand, with a backing of a great team, that doesn't cut corners, can and does still win.

Read what I said earlier. If a station is over-bloated, that is one thing. The MG stations aren't. They need major investment in areas of news, not cutting. Cord-cutting is happening some. Some of it is over-hyped. Nexstar and Sinclair aren't the saviors of television. They are much like Cumulus and Clear Channel. Look at their stock prices today, compared to 10-20 years ago. Point proven. It's not all about share price.

The consumer wants a great product, with the resources to back it all up. Cheapness is a turn-off and in that regard, you are right - more cord-cutting will happen!

They want cord cutting, that's why!!! And according to many older files on these forums, y'all have been complaining about the TV business for a long time, and now you say cord cutting is speeding up?!! Have you realized that cable TV has only very recently started to become obsolete?!!

They want cord cutting, that's why!!! And according to many older files on these forums, y'all have been complaining about the TV business for a long time, and now you say cord cutting is speeding up?!!

No I'm saying bad products help to speed that up.

Actually studies have shown consumers don't mind well-produced ads. The problem is cheap, non-authentic advertising.

But those well-produced ads will be remembered more for their entertainment value rather than the product they sell.

And by the way, not even well-produced ads help sales

But those well-produced ads will be remembered more for their entertainment value rather than the product they sell.

And that's exactly the point of an effective advertisement...... An effective advertisement doesn't have to "sell" anything. Hence, doesn't come off sleazy and overly-sales'ish..... Being effective means being remembered and that is what matters most.

And that's exactly the point of an effective advertisement...... An effective advertisement doesn't have to "sell" anything. Hence, doesn't come off sleazy and overly-sales'ish..... Being effective means being remembered and thats what matters most.

But they almost never help sales unless it's a discount sales thing.

And by the way, Nexstar and Sinclair read these forums and we wonder why they fall back to investors. It's because at least they can be pleased!!! We're just an unpleaseable forum base who just bashes TV station groups even if there's no reason to (by that I mean in a not constructive way)!!!

But they almost never help sales unless it's a discount sales thing.

And by the way, Nexstar and Sinclair read these forums and we wonder why they fall back to investors. It's because at least they can be pleased!!! We're just an unpleaseable forum base who just bashes TV station groups even if there's no reason to (by that I mean in a not constructive way)!!!

Speak for yourself or others, not me. I've been both a "long-term" investor and a seasoned broadcaster of over 20 years. I do know how the business works. I've been unsuccessfully woo'd on more than one occasion to re-enter the industry. If I ever do, it will be as an owner/partner and you can be assured it will be done right. I have the funds and the right additional backing.

Not everyone on here is a forum junkie. Some may be. Either way, when someone comes along to teach/show you something you're on a mission to argue or get a last word.

Speak for yourself or others, not me. I've been both a "long-term" investor and a seasoned broadcaster of over 20 years. I do know how the business works. I've been unsuccessfully woo'd on more than one occasion to re-enter the industry. If I ever do, it will be as an owner/partner and you can be assured it will be done right. I have the funds and the right additional backing.

Not everyone on here is a forum junkie. Some may be. Either way, when someone comes along to teach/show you something you're on a mission to argue or get a last word.

Perry Sook and David Smith have been seasoned broadcasters for longer than you have been!!! And by the way, so are those two, which is part of the reason why I respect them both!!!

And if you want proof of what I had just said about us being an unpleaseable forum base, check this story out:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2009/06/a-media-guy-asks-why-do-they-hate-us

Perry Sook and David Smith have been seasoned broadcasters for longer than you have been!!! And by the way, so are those two, which is part of the reason why I respect them both!!!

Tenure, wealth, and leadership should not and does not entitle a person to the respect of others.

It also doesn't give someone the right to shortchange their customers and treat their employees like dirt.

Tenure, wealth, and leadership should not and does not entitle a person to the respect of others.

No, but the way they do stuff should and does.

It also doesn't give someone the right to shortchange their customers and treat their employees like dirt.
It does, but it shouldn't, which is why I hate them, yet respect them so much.

And if you want proof of what I had just said about us being an unpleaseable forum base, check this story out:

http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2009/06/a-media-guy-asks-why-do-they-hate-us

Lol and one day they'll be unloading stations much like cumulus and clear channel have. Having the most and cheapest run stations will only last for so long. It's not how myself and other successful broadcasters do business. Short-term great for the shareholder. Long-term a disaster for the industry. You'll get what that means someday. Only you would think today's Nexstar/MG news is wonderful. Well you and Sooky.

Lol and one day they'll be uploading stations much like cumulus and clear channel have. Having the most and cheapest run stations will only last for so long. It's not how myself and other successful broadcasters do business. Short-term great for the shareholder. Long-term a disaster for the industry. You'll get what that means someday. Only you would think today's Nexstar/MG news is wonderful. Well you and Sooky.

It is, but not in the way most people think. It's wonderful in that they have more freedom to preempt programs for local content than most broadcasters do. That's why B&C has so much respect for Sook, even if he does cheapen stations.

You and your "long-term" thinking. I think it depends on how you do things, not short or long term, those are just mindsets on how to get there.

It is, but not in the way most people think. It's wonderful in that they have more freedom to preempt programs for local content than most broadcasters do. That's why B&C has so much respect for Sook, even if he does cheapen stations.

You and your "long-term" thinking. I think it depends on how you do things, not short or long term, those are just mindsets on how to get there.

We weren't talking about preemption. At last check we were debating the merits of cutting staffs to the bone, ditching resources etc. ya know that short-term thinking thing. If you think that way of doing business is great, then I've already made my point in other postings.

What owners are *best* at investing in stations and operating stations?

as atlnews2 said... Cox, Hearst, Graham...

Among smaller groups...from what I can tell/gather: Heartland Media seems to be investing in the stations it's acquired and its employees.

Others I've heard good things about are NPG, Morgan Murphy, Cordillera and Quincy.

I don't think it's a coincidence that most mentioned are privately-owned and family-owned in some fashion. I believe Heartland and Cordillera are the only two not family-owned and Graham is the only one that's publicly-traded (although the Graham family owns the majority of the stock). I may be wrong about Heartland/Cordillera though...they could be family-owned as well.

(EDIT: Cordillera is family-owned as well.)

Schurz used to be in this category.

Archived