Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

Perry and his wife Sandy are major benefactors for the construction an academic center for student athletes at Ohio University.

https://www.ohio.edu/compass/stories/14-15/9/sook-academic-center-campaign-Sept-2014.cfm

At one time, he even donated airtime on some of his stations to air Ohio University ads.

Maybe now he can out-donate Scripps to get the naming rights to their College of Communication? Before, they only had the Journalism Program and its home, Scripps Hall.

Would it be called the Nexstar Media Hall?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's no JSA regarding WLNS/WLAJ, but there is an SSA. And SSA (as of now) are not attributable.

More like the JSA will be terminated, as will the WKBN/WYTV and the WTEN/WXXA JSAs (not that it would make any difference since Nexstar has other JSAs to take advantage of)

So then they would have to end the LMA with WPCH either way right?

Under that circumstance, the LMA would likely have to be retained under the stewardship of WGCL and transferred to whomever acquires the latter.

However, this is a moot point given that Meredith is now seeking to take Media General's place as the acquirer of stations (which the latter positioned itself as before Nexstar came-a-callin') instead of being the acquiree, with CEO Stephen Lacy stating that the company has a few deals in the works on the broadcast and digital media sides. So, a Cox-Meredith isn't happening soon.

According to this article http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/91955/at-39-sook-smith-set-different-courses/page/2, the combined MG-Nexstar would actually be at 39.7%, and would have to sell some more (according to Sook, 4 more stations?)

If I were to get rid of 4 stations, the first two would be WJTV and WHLT (to keep them together), to either avoid a conflict or to move that number down depending on the interpretation of WNTZ's home market. After that I guess it is a tossup, since there are no obvious divestments I can see (or trade bait).

I didn't realize he was a native of DuBois, PA. He's gotta be lovin all the Ohio, PA and WV stations he's about to own.

And KXAN to almost complete the cluster of Texas stations he has. Not to mention that Nexstar's coming back to Austin and Rhode Island from managing stations that were owned by Four Points. And while he's at it, why not bring back the NBC station venture holdings (NBC 5 and NBC 7/39)?

Under that circumstance, the LMA would likely have to be retained under the stewardship of WGCL and transferred to whomever acquires the latter.

However, this is a moot point given that Meredith is now seeking to take Media General's place as the acquirer of stations (which the latter positioned itself as before Nexstar came-a-callin') instead of being the acquiree, with CEO Stephen Lacy stating that the company has a few deals in the works on the broadcast and digital media sides. So, a Cox-Meredith isn't happening soon.

So there's a possibility it would involve some station groups right?

And KXAN to almost complete the cluster of Texas stations he has. Not to mention that Nexstar's coming back to Austin and Rhode Island from managing stations that were owned by Four Points. And while he's at it, why not bring back the NBC station venture holdings (NBC 5 and NBC 7/39)?

Are you fucking serious ?

No, I'm saying that he might as well. Though I'm not really good with that either.

It's one thing to own a bunch of small-market stations and operate them on the cheap. With some decent stations in the fold they might end up like Sinclair and invest in them. You never know ...

I hope WTHI doesn't end up owned by Nexstar. Hopefully it will be spun off to another owner. Nexstar hasn't put any money into WTWO/WAWV. The station has no HD newscasts or syndicated programming. The quality of their syndicated programming looks terrible like something from the 1970s. Nexstar should focus on putting money into its current stations without buying up more. WTWO and WAWV has plenty of bandwidth to add some subchannels but they never do that either. The only positive thing they did was making WAWV an ABC station again providing that station with more HD network programming and WTHI 10.2 got Fox and is a better Fox station than WAWV (then WFXW) ever was. If network programming and commercials are tape delayed they air in a poor faded SD looking quality. I don't understand why WTWO looks so bad. Before WTHI went all HD, their news and syndicated programs still had a sharp, rich picture quality.

Surrounding Nexstar stations WCIA and WTVW are all HD. They should handle master control for WTWO/WAWV.

I hope WTHI doesn't end up owned by Nexstar. Hopefully it will be spun off to another owner. Nexstar hasn't put any money into WTWO/WAWV. The station has no HD newscasts or syndicated programming. The quality of their syndicated programming looks terrible like something from the 1970s. Nexstar should focus on putting money into its current stations without buying up more. WTWO and WAWV has plenty of bandwidth to add some subchannels but they never do that either. The only positive thing they did was making WAWV an ABC station again providing that station with more HD network programming and WTHI 10.2 got Fox and is a better Fox station than WAWV (then WFXW) ever was. If network programming and commercials are tape delayed they air in a poor faded SD looking quality. I don't understand why WTWO looks so bad. Before WTHI went all HD, their news and syndicated programs still had a sharp, rich picture quality.

Surrounding Nexstar stations WCIA and WTVW are all HD. They should handle master control for WTWO/WAWV.

We have no idea what is going to happen to either one of us. Though most of us, hope Nexstar grabs WTHI - which will give them a CBS station in every market in Indiana except SB and EVV and free us from the reigns of Sook.

FTVlive is reporting that our worst fears of Nexstar taking over Media General could be realized by cutting and replacing managers and employees with cheaper ones....

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/2/9/media-general-managers-trying-to-get-out-now

And the rats are escaping the ship that is about to be sunk....

FTVlive is reporting that our worst fears of Nexstar taking over Media General could be realized by cutting and replacing managers and employees with cheaper ones....

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2016/2/9/media-general-managers-trying-to-get-out-now

And the rats are escaping the ship that is about to be sunk....

Yep, just like I said the other day - good for shareholders and the short-term... long-term a disaster for the industry and certainly for MOST of the MG stations.

But but buttttt that doesn't matter right? Because stations will be drenched with local website ads and just having the word "local" slapped on things will right all the wayward ships.

So for typical shareholders who generally don't give two toots about long-term value, this is greeeeeat news!!

Yep, just like I said the other day - good for shareholders and the short-term... long-term a disaster for the industry and certainly for MOST of the MG stations.

But but buttttt that doesn't matter right? Because stations will be drenched with local website ads and just having the word "local" slapped on things will right all the wayward ships.

So for typical shareholders who generally don't give two toots about long-term value, this is greeeeeat news!!

The stock market's rigged for that

The stock market's rigged for that

Yes indeed. I know that firsthand, however there are still plenty of companies that place a premium on long-term value building, not just short-term pops and especially not short-term pops that will negatively affect long-term success. That was my point the other day. Hope you can see that now

Yes indeed. I know that firsthand, however there are still plenty of companies that place a premium on long-term value building, not just short-term pops and especially not short-term pops that will negatively affect long-term success. That was my point the other day. Hope you can see that now
And yet, I know that almost all of y'all would do the same thing if any one of y'all owned Nexstar, but won't admit to it. I'd do the exact same thing. Besides, everyone cuts costs, even consumers. That, and, as much as I hate to say this, Perry Sook (of Nexstar) and David Smith (of Sinclair) know the truth that times are changing so fast, it's going to rig us all off

And yet, I know that almost all of y'all would do the same thing if any one of y'all owned Nexstar, but won't admit to it. I'd do the exact same thing. Besides, everyone cuts costs, even consumers. That, and, as much as I hate to say this, Perry Sook (of Nexstar) and David Smith (of Sinclair) know the truth that times are changing so fast, it's going to rig us all off

I wouldn't. Neither have companies such as: Meredith, LIN and Tegna for the most part.

I would not chop and snip for the sake of saving a short-term dollar.

I would actually use my brain.

First, perform market research. Second, fine-tune and BUILD based on that research. Third, a cut would happen would be if someone was not "working out" in their position or I had a better-qualified person to replace them that would build us up longer-term.

Chopping resources dude, such as employees, choppers, ratings data and the like isn't a smart long-term move. Short-term it is. I think we've both established that.

Simply stated, you just don't blow into a market and make changes for the sake of making them. Cutting is never an answer, unless a station is severely over-bloated. For the MG stations, that is NOT the case. Most of the MG stations need dire investment, not chopping! You know that.

I wouldn't. Neither have companies such as: Meredith, LIN and Tegna for the most part.

I would not chop and snip for the sake of saving a short-term dollar.

I would actually use my brain.

First, perform market research. Second, fine-tune and BUILD based on that research. Third, a cut would happen would be if someone was not "working out" in their position or I had a better-qualified person to replace them that would build us up longer-term.

Chopping resources dude, such as employees, choppers, ratings data and the like isn't a smart long-term move. Short-term it is. I think we've both established that.

Simply stated, you just don't blow into a market and make changes for the sake of making them. Cutting is never an answer, unless a station is severly over-bloated. For the MG stations, that is NOT the case. Most of the MG stations need dire investment, not chopping! You know that.

Well, none of us has ever gotten into Perry Sook's process. And by the way, Sinclair doesn't invest in its stations either

Archived