Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

They call those new wave food trucks disruptive in my neighborhood...but they are just bringing the cool new food closer to the patrons.

Pisses off the restaurants...but give the people what they want.

There is a giant difference,

The disrupters are entertainment programming competing with each other, and there is some real good stuff out there so they should be concerned.

What we DON'T see are TV news programmers bringing innovative products to the market...just stripped down bastardized and perverted versions of bargain basement crap they THINK we want.

Just because some idiot thinks "the Now" is the new hot item dose not mean we all have to accept it as fact.

Exactly, and though Perry Sook is right about local markets being unable to be served by algorithms (like Yahoo and Google), at least not as well as anything locally based can (including Nexstar's stations if they count), do they really need to?

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly, and though Perry Sook is right about local markets being unable to be served by algorithms (like Yahoo and Google), at least not as well as anything locally based can (including Nexstar's stations if they count), do they really need to?

"Perry added that consolidation can foster a better environment to draw top tier talent by negotiating better benefits and creating efficiencies. “We would like to build a company where the best and brightest would like to come to work,” Sook says."

"Perry added that consolidation can foster a better environment to draw top tier talent by negotiating better benefits and creating efficiencies. “We would like to build a company where the best and brightest would like to come to work,” Sook says."

And that's why algorithms are still going strong despite the fact that they can't normally serve local markets as good as maybe Nexstar's stations (And that's debatable how well they do it, except maybe their newscasts, which many have said they suck).

1. Sinclair is an up-and-comer and it is getting serious about news. Between WJLA, KOMO, WKRC and a few others, they have a lot of top-notch news departments. WSYX is an up-and-comer. Sinclair deserves to get bumped up in esteem.

2. Doesn't Cox count as a family company? I think it's exclusively owned by the Cox family.

Sinclair is an up-and-comer and it is getting serious about news. Between WJLA, KOMO, WKRC and a few others, they have a lot of top-notch news departments. WSYX is an up-and-comer. Sinclair deserves to get bumped up in esteem.
So does Nexstar for some of the same reasons, plus the production of local content which, these days where national stories like terrorism reign, is becoming increasingly rare and Nexstar's going to help local content make a comeback (even if they have to establish themselves quickly and bring in their own ranks to the will-be former MG stations). And it should be noted that both Perry Sook (of Nexstar) and David Smith (of Sinclair) are in favor of ATSC 3.0

Doesn't Cox count as a family company? I think it's exclusively owned by the Cox family.

Cox owns 13 stations and operates a 14th and has its hands in plenty of other ventures, it just happens to be family owned. A bit different than the Dispatches and Griffins and Capitols and Sunbeams of the world.

1. Sinclair is an up-and-comer and it is getting serious about news. Between WJLA, KOMO, WKRC and a few others, they have a lot of top-notch news departments. WSYX is an up-and-comer. Sinclair deserves to get bumped up in esteem.

Those news departments are only decent because Sinclair inherited them.

I don't think forcing stations to run politically slanted coverage (the dreaded must-runs) is worthy of esteem...and they're notorious throughout the industry as being a piss-poor company to work for.

Hard to attract better talent when you hire whoever's cheapest...

It depends on if they get commissions, or not. If someone gets a salary+ commissions, then they due to make a lot of money, even if the actual salary is low.

You think sales people get salary?! You're funny. Not one in Nexstar gets a salary. They are a 100% commissioned.

Those news departments are only decent because Sinclair inherited them.

I don't think forcing stations to run politically slanted coverage (the dreaded must-runs) is worthy of esteem...and they're notorious throughout the industry as being a piss-poor company to work for.

I agree with you, the only reason they're "top-knotch" is because they were before Sinclair owned them, outside of adding those stupid must-runs, Sinclair has pretty much taken a hands off approach to WKRC and KOMO and those stations are pretty much continuing their previous success. However as we all can see they have taken an all hands in approach to WJLA and we can all debate whether the news department is better or worse now than they were in the Allbritton days.

EDIT: I will give Sinclair credit though on the very nice new set that they gave KOMO. That was way overdue and should've been done when Fishers still owned them.

I agree with you, the only reason they're "top-knotch" is because they were before Sinclair owned them, outside of adding those stupid must-runs, Sinclair has pretty much taken a hands off approach to WKRC and KOMO and those stations are pretty much continuing their previous success. However as we all can see they have taken an all hands in approach to WJLA and we can all debate whether the news department is better or worse now than they were in the Allbritton days.

EDIT: I will give Sinclair credit though on the very nice new set that they gave KOMO. That was way overdue and should've been done when Fishers still owned them.

Isn't WJLA now 4th in ratings in DC? I believe WTTG and WUSA have both passed them.

You think sales people get salary?! You're funny. Not one in Nexstar gets a salary. They are a 100% commissioned.

If true, the Feds will be very interested. They have to be paid at least minimum wage or have a guaranteed minimum equal to at least minimum wage. You can't have employees who work on 100% commission because, in theory, there could be a week where they work 40 (or 50 or whatever) hours and don't make any sales, meaning they get a check for $0. That's illegal.

• 2 weeks later...
...neither was Sinclair In many cases. But it still happened and as long as the required divestitures are made, it's unfortunately going to happen.

The largest purchase by Sinclair was, what, 20 or so stations? This is nearly four times that. Such growth at one time is unprecedented and could lead to a "too big to fail" situation that would be like Clear Channel iHeart on steroids.

Archived