Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

Also public opposition. Who would want to own two Big 4 affiliates in a major market like Miami?

There wasn't a lot of public opposition against the deal. For us yes, it was, but the general public didn't really care. When Telemundo and Univision are actually #1 and #2 in the market and WSVN holding a dominance, you have situations where WFOR can place and have placed in 8th place.

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There wasn't a lot of public opposition against the deal. For us yes, it was, but the general public didn't really care. When Telemundo and Univision are actually #1 and #2 in the market and WSVN holding a dominance, you have situations where WFOR can place and have placed in 8th place.

That is a good point. While Miami itself is a large media market, the market for news in English is smaller than in a comparably sized DMA.

That is a good point. While Miami itself is a large media market, the market for news in English is smaller than in a comparably sized DMA.
And that's largely because Cuba and Puerto Rico are farther down south than the florida keys, and they're both spanish speaking (though the former is a country while the other should be the 51st state)

mardek..Its more than just Cuba and Puerto Rico. Miami is literally the hub for everything across Latin America. Consider you have CNN Latino based there, plus beIN sports being based here and them showing La Liga action. I could break it down by community.

Little Havana and Hialeah major Cuban influence

Little Haiti=Haitian influence

Plus major influences from across the spectrum of Latin America and that is why Telemundo and Univision are #1 and #2. In fact both networks have major sets of operations here and I know there are other studios in Hialeah that do productions for telenovelas for other partners. Televisa has their American office off by the airport. I would dare say, the market for English Language news is more comparable to West Palm Beach (as a clone) than Miami being the DMA that it is.

And that's largely because Cuba and Puerto Rico are farther down south than the florida keys, and they're both spanish speaking (though the former is a country while the other should be the 51st state)

Mostly Cubans tho. Most Puerto Ricans live in Orlando now these days.

mardek..Its more than just Cuba and Puerto Rico. Miami is literally the hub for everything across Latin America. Consider you have CNN Latino based there, plus beIN sports being based here and them showing La Liga action. I could break it down by community.

Little Havana and Hialeah major Cuban influence

Little Haiti=Haitian influence

Plus major influences from across the spectrum of Latin America and that is why Telemundo and Univision are #1 and #2. In fact both networks have major sets of operations here and I know there are other studios in Hialeah that do productions for telenovelas for other partners. Televisa has their American office off by the airport. I would dare say, the market for English Language news is more comparable to West Palm Beach (as a clone) than Miami being the DMA that it is.

1) YES.

2) YES.

bhratbrat is so right on EVERYTHING.

Univision/Univision 23/Fusion are all at Doral.

Telemundo 51 in Miramar while Telemundo in Hialeah (soon moving the studios).

I would say the beIN Sports location is more close to Doral but its around here.

YES! Televisa has offices nearby the Airport and I've seen it before, first hand while passing by.

No sign of the other Spanish networks around here or Azteca or anybody else for that matter, but yeah. Miami is more Spanish than any other market in this country. I don't give a damn if they say that LA is #1 then NYC at #2 then Miami at #3. In my eyes, Miami (specifically Miami-Dade County) is more Spanish than anywhere else in America.

A completely stark difference however if you go to Broward county... more English there.

A completely stark difference however if you go to Broward county... more English there.

What kind of English?

The British type with bad teeth like in the Austin Powers movies...

Or ...

The obnoxious white wasp types that think they are all bad by listening to Eminem and Taylor Swift (pre- 2011) ?

Not that there is anything wrong with Taylor Swift.

What kind of English?

The British type with bad teeth like in the Austin Powers movies...

Or ...

The obnoxious white wasp types that think they are all bad by listening to Eminem and Taylor Swift (pre- 2011) ?

Not that there is anything wrong with Taylor Swift.

The non-Hispanics Caucasians, mate.

Gray is buying WBAY and KWQC...

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/mobile/index/article/id/95259

That just leaves Fort Wayne and Terre Haute...

Meredith must have either passed on all of these stations or were outbid. I think their sights are now set on Tribune if they start cashing out...

Gray could easily buy the Indiana stations if they wanted to as well, since they have nothing in Fort Wayne or Terre Haute. Meredith probably passed, agreed they likely have their sights set on (at least a large part of) Tribune, or are preparing to sell themselves (to Hearst?)

We were somewhat right on that one, figuring either Gray or Quincy would take them, since those are the two best fits by far.

WFFT is going to be a tough sell. It could very well be spectrum or spinoff bait and its non-license assets could be rolled into WANE. Marshall or Bayou City could buy WFFT and operate them much like WISE when they get the CW and their primary NBC stream moves to WPTA.

Gray could be a good fit for WTHI since it appears Nexstar is keeping WTWO and WAWV.

Not surprised by Gray; in addition to having some stations in WI, they *did* have the management deal with Young a few years back. I could see Nexstar wanting to keep WFRV; I'm sure it's been a good station for them.

Not to mention keeps them together with WJMN, and separating them would likely hurt both stations as they are still quite intertwined. All in all, everyone should be happy there.

WBAY gains a whole bunch of sister stations as well (while it is currently isolated with MG). That said, Nexstar has little else in Wisconsin itself, a state dominated by Quincy and Gray, which were definitely the two best fits for WBAY.

KWQC also adds adjacent market sister stations in KCRG and WIFR.

Is it just me that I don't want this Nexstar acquisition to go through. I hope there is some kind of curve ball the FCC give at the last minute.

They are doing everything right so far though, selling to get under the cap and avoiding conflicts as much as possible. Although in Fort Wayne there may need to be a loss of a signal.

If there is one place I might be a big concerned, it might be Jackson, MS. Interpretation could be an issue between WNTZ (despite serving Alexandria LA, it is licensed to the Jackson market) and WJTV. Perhaps auctioning off WNTZ might be the best move since selling WJTV would isolate it from WHLT. I don't believe Jackson has enough stations for a legal duopoly.

This is amazing news for WBAY and KWQC because not only do they avoid the Nexstar-ification that they would've gotten if accepted, but they get better owners through Gray who already own alot of #1 stations in various markets, including Dothan, Madison, Eau Claire/La Crosse, Tallahassee and plenty of others.

EDIT: In just 3 years, WBAY and KWQC go from Young (and a bit of Gray due to financial issues) to M.G. to Gray. The revolving doors of ownership continues for these amazing stations that continue to be #1 in their markets, despite the continuing ownership changes.

This is amazing news for WBAY and KWQC because not only do they avoid the Nexstar-ification that they would've gotten if accepted, but they get better owners through Gray who already own alot of #1 stations in various markets, including Dothan, Madison, Eau Claire/La Crosse, Tallahassee and plenty of others.

Strangely enough, in Green Bay, Nexstar HAS been kind to WFRV, since it was certainly a disaster under previous owners (including CBS itself, which had no reason having an O&O in such a small market).

If anyone might benefit from Nexstar in the MG portfolio, IMO they are the ex-Park stations, as those were always seen as the "ugly stepchildren" of the company despite having been under MG ownership for nearly 20 years.

The Madison station isn't #1. IIRC WISC won in most timeslots in the last ratings with WKOW in the doghouse. Not sure how the La Crosse/Eau Claire dynamic works but I'd imagine WEAU wins the Eau Claire part and WKBT the La Crosse part with WXOW/WQOW playing second banana.

WCTV and WTVY are definitely powerhouses.

From what I've gathered from people in the know...Gray is very good to their legacy stations...but are cheap elsewhere.

They've pretty clearly invested in stations like WSAW for example.

It's still an upgrade over Perry Sook & Co. for WBAY/KWQC. Gray will probably be good to them as they're legacies.

Is it just me that I don't want this Nexstar acquisition to go through. I hope there is some kind of curve ball the FCC give at the last minute.

Here are my reasons....

1. Nexstar is a cheap company that will decimate the MG stations.

2. Come retransmission time, Nexstar wrote the book on holding viewers hostage if they can't deal with the cable companies. The hostility that LIN had in the past has bled into Media General since Vince Sadusky is in charge....for now.

3. Media General is an established user of Livestream. Live streaming is something Nexstar doesn't do too often and they've even TAKEN IT AWAY from the WVMH stations they've acquired.

4. Crappy, plastic looking logos, bad and derivative graphics and too many overused Stephen Arnold themes. I like his stuff, especially the pre SESAC apocalypse themes, but the newer stuff is so intertwined with Nexstar it sours my judgement...

5. Local this....local that....it locals my locals!!

6. The websites.....my god the websites....

How am I supposed to know a "matters" from a "pride" when they could just use the CALL LETTERS!

7. Expect some future affiliation balkings when CBS or others are up for renewal. It seems like this could be a collision course...

That's all....for now.

EDIT: In just 3 years, WBAY and KWQC go from Young (and a bit of Gray due to financial issues) to M.G. to Gray. The revolving doors of ownership continues for these amazing stations that continue to be #1 in their markets, despite the continuing ownership changes.

Worst I can say is Gray is just incredibly bland as an owner, but in WBAY's case, this is a good thing. They got a nice new graphics package out of MG that'll last a few years before they have to go with Gray's stuff, very little personnel left the station, and they maintained ratings momentum outside of late night (they'll drop the MG-mandated HTL and Byron Allen like a hot potato). Nothing bad to say about this at all, really.

Here are my reasons....

2. Come retransmission time, Nexstar wrote the book on holding viewers hostage if they can't deal with the cable companies. The hostility that LIN had in the past has bled into Media General since Vince Sadusky is in charge....for now.

3. Media General is an established user of Livestream. Live streaming is something Nexstar doesn't do too often and they've even TAKEN IT AWAY from the WVMH stations they've acquired.

4. Crappy, plastic looking logos, bad and derivative graphics and too many overused Stephen Arnold themes. I like his stuff, especially the pre SESAC apocalypse themes, but the newer stuff is so intertwined with Nexstar it sours my judgement...

How am I supposed to know a "matters" from a "pride" when they could just use the CALL LETTERS!

7. Expect some future affiliation balkings when CBS or others are up for renewal. It seems like this could be a collision course...

That's all....for now.

Yes. 1, 4 and 7 are my main reasons. I also use to work for a station they about to acquire. Let's just say they're number 1 in the market bit I think that Nexstar will be their downfall for sure.

And just when WKBN got rid of the Piedmont sitnk...

I REALLY hope not. I'm not about to drag out an antenna or only watch WFMJ for local news

Again, I really don't want to watch WFMJ for news come retransmission time.

And I thought WKBN's current logo is generic.

WKBN Local 27 First News...try saying that five times.

myvalleymatters.com doesn't matter when the website is atrocious.

I'm in Youngstown so this one doesn't affect me.

Archived