Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peter Kreisky, a media consultant, said that Meredith will now be under greater pressure to find a new path forward.

“They need greater scale. The question is should they be acquired or acquire more companies,” said Mr. Kreisky. “There is little real fit between print and local television stations. Perhaps spinning out the television group would generate additional value.”

Peter Kreisky, a media consultant, said that Meredith will now be under greater pressure to find a new path forward.

“They need greater scale. The question is should they be acquired or acquire more companies,” said Mr. Kreisky. “There is little real fit between print and local television stations. Perhaps spinning out the television group would generate additional value.”

Newspapers are dying it seems, and apparently nobody wants to pay for digital access. Besides that, who subscribed to Better Homes and Gardens (print or digital) these days?

Read: Hearst

Read: Hearst

Whose television arm, once spun off, should be renamed Argyle Television Holdings III because there was Argyle Television holdings I and II (the former was before the 90s, and the latter was the 90s up to when Hearst merged with the company).

This is exactly why it's not such a hot idea to have sex with close relatives (no matter how drunk)...

In-breading!

Things are gonna get real wacky-scary now, if DOJ does not stop this potential freak of nature from materializing.

I suggest we all go to church and pray this weekend.

Nexstar is CapCities so much that he bought a group with parallels. Three MG stations (WTEN, WPRI, WTNH) are ex-CapCities properties and MG has stations in three former CapCities markets (Raleigh, Buffalo, Tampa).

A non-CapCities parralel to the merger is WCWJ reuniting with some of its former sister stations under MG ownership.

Oh great, here comes "Hometown 8 News" or some stupid crap like that for WISH.

From the looks of it, Nexstar will have a station in (almost) all of the IN markets:

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/31071558/nexstar-to-acquire-media-general

I will be sad if that happens... I'm so used to 24 Hour News 8 :-/

It's interesting WISH and WOOD kept the format for this long, you'd think the "24 Hour News Source" format would have integrated well in the internet/mobile age, but stations that used it in most other markets bailed on it even before it got deep into that period. BTW, I don't think "Hometown News" would work in a market Indianapolis' size, and I think KSNF is the only existing Nexstar station that uses/used it.

But how they run WISH or KRON is the $100,000 question. As I mentioned before, Nexstar has no experience running news-intensive stations like them, and its standalone non-Big Fours in Phoenix and Jacksonville don't have news departments and haven't aired news since before Nexstar acquired them (i.e., the mid-to-late 1990s). WISH is the one I'm worried about more.

The silver lining here is Nexstar can't grow much more (or, really, any) more under FCC rules.

Any predictions on how this will shake out in Green Bay?

Nexstar will find themselves having to decide between WBAY, which is the heritage station in the market and longtime news ratings-leader and WFRV, which is arguably affiliated with the stronger network (CBS).

I would like to see Nexstar leave WBAY alone and divest it to Hearst, finally making it a sister station to WISN (the two stations have cooperated for years). Otherwise, Quincy Newspapers would be a logical buyer for WBAY, given their portfolio of ABC stations in other Wisconsin markets (Madison, La Crosse, and Wausau), although Green Bay might be too big of a market for them.

Who would buy WFRV if Nexstar decides to keep WBAY? Meredith? Tegna? Sinclair and Scripps already own stations in the market, so they’re out.

Anyone suspect the recently announced Cox-Meredith "partnership" turns into something more (a sale) now that Meredith lost MG to Nexstar? Both have publishing holdings in addition to TV. Seems like a potentially better fit.

Anyone suspect the recently announced Cox-Meredith "partnership" turns into something more (a sale) now that Meredith lost MG to Nexstar? Both have publishing holdings in addition to TV. Seems like a potentially better fit.

A Meredith-Hearst Merger might make sense as well either way if Meredith merges with either one of those companies, it would then consolidate it's Newspaper, Publishing and Magazines with the TV Stations in a time in which companies such as Tribune are splitting up TV and Newspapers to focus solely on the TV stations.

Nexstar will find themselves having to decide between WBAY, which is the heritage station in the market and longtime news ratings-leader and WFRV, which is arguably affiliated with the stronger network (CBS).

I would like to see Nexstar leave WBAY alone and divest it to Hearst, finally making it a sister station to WISN (the two stations have cooperated for years). Otherwise, Quincy Newspapers would be a logical buyer for WBAY, given their portfolio of ABC stations in other Wisconsin markets (Madison, La Crosse, and Wausau), although Green Bay might be too big of a market for them.

Who would buy WFRV if Nexstar decides to keep WBAY? Meredith? Tegna? Sinclair and Scripps already own stations in the market, so they’re out.

I think WBAY-TV would be divested to Hearst which would then make them sister stations to WISN-TV 9as you mentioned) now if that happens would both WBAY and WISN together simulcast Monday Night Football games involving the Green Bay Packers (since how Hearst owns 20% of ESPN)? I know WISN has been doing that ever since MNF left ABC for ESPN little over a decade ago if not farther back than that.

WNTZ serves the Alexandria market, and their signals don't overlap much, so I am guessing no.

If not, then WNTZ would be a tough one to sell given its situation, and selling WJTV would separate it from its satellite WHLT.

WFRV has the issue with its semi-satellite WJMN? That would be a signal to keep them. Personally I think WBAY gets resold and the WFRV-WJMN partnership is not broken.

I just thought of something. Nexstar doesn't like sub channels. Almost all MG's stations have a sub channel or two. Maybe it's time for Nexstar to rethink that. Ugh first Sinclair and now Nexstar on big ownerships.

If not, then WNTZ would be a tough one to sell given its situation, and selling WJTV would separate it from its satellite WHLT.

WFRV has the issue with its semi-satellite WJMN? That would be a signal to keep them. Personally I think WBAY gets resold and the WFRV-WJMN partnership is not broken.

I do not see WJTV being separated from WHLT. They're like conjoined twins!

I do not see WJTV being separated from WHLT. They're like conjoined twins!

That creates challenges for sure. From my count there are 8 separate owners in the Jackson market:

3 Raycom

12 Media General --> Nexstar

16 Hearst

17 MPB

29 MPB

34 TBN

35 Toogaloo (Raycom)

40 American Spirit (Raycom)

48 Nexstar

I can't find any more...if that is all, then no more duopolies...can't hold both 12 and 48.

That creates challenges for sure. From my count there are 8 separate owners in the Jackson market:

3 Raycom

12 Media General --> Nexstar

16 Hearst

17 MPB

29 MPB

34 TBN

35 Toogaloo (Raycom)

40 American Spirit (Raycom)

48 Nexstar

I can't find any more...if that is all, then no more duopolies...can't hold both 12 and 48.

If one would be ditched I'm certain it would be WNTZ. I honestly do not see Nexstar wiping their hands clean of WJTV.

Archived