Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

Here in the lansing/jackson TV Market WLNS is the legacy of local stations [the only one with a live news bureau in jackson] got no chopper , but some great people who embrace the community..as a viewer I think thats good enough, but as a fan of live streaming..I hope Nexstar allows the MG stations that they aquired like WLNS to continue to live stream their newscasts, I know that reportedly nextstar stations arent allowed to live stream newscasts. heck does nexstar have ANY presence on social media ???

As for the media general building , didnt they just give it to VCU

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here in the lansing/jackson TV Market WLNS is the legacy of local stations [the only one with a live news bureau in jackson] got no chopper , but some great people who embrace the community..as a viewer I think thats good enough, but as a fan of live streaming..I hope Nexstar allows the MG stations that they aquired like WLNS to continue to live stream their newscasts, I know that reportedly nextstar stations arent allowed to live stream newscasts. heck does nexstar have ANY presence on social media ???
No, but it would help them. And why don't you email or call Nexstar Media about that?

if nexstar had an e-mail addy i would
They have a phone number. Just type in Nexstar Media and look to the right, you'll see its phone number

And by the way, I called that phone number and told them how controversial Nexstar buying Media General is and asked if Perry Sook himself is available, only to find that he wasn't and soon after, hung up, damn!!!

One more thing, from this moment on, Nexstar will now be known as Nexstar Media!!!

Another casualty could be WFFT in Fort Wayne. They could easily be auctioned off and have WANE pick up the FOX affiliation on a subchannel.

The ultimate irony in such a situation is the fact that FOX stripped their affiliation in 2011 and Nexstar cried foul about Granite having too many affiliations when WISE picked them up.

Multicasting is the new shell game. Unless the FCC steps in, it's within the rules to get as many affiliations as you can just as long as you don't have too many full powered licenses or control too much of another license....

Another casualty could be WFFT in Fort Wayne. They could easily be auctioned off and have WANE pick up the FOX affiliation on a subchannel.

The ultimate irony in such a situation is the fact that FOX stripped their affiliation in 2011 and Nexstar cried foul about Granite having too many affiliations when WISE picked them up.

Multicasting is the new shell game. Unless the FCC steps in, it's within the rules to get as many affiliations as you can just as long as you don't have too many full powered licenses or control too much of another license....

Acquiring WANE leaves Nexstar with a monopoly in Fort Wayne though due to the Granite LMAs? That won't work, the FCC would cry foul for sure.

Mardek1995 take a nice nap, have some chocolate milk or find a fat blunt dude before you blow a fuse. Maybe a blunt and some tea if you want to be refined.

This is why I'm starting to think that most of the reasonable people here in TVNT are gone. Everyone complains about these mergers, and that's too much of what we do!!! No wonder less people are going to join this website!!! It's not just the corporations' fault, it's ours as well and you think Nexstar Media is going to run the stations to the ground???!!! I fell like this website is starting to as well, or maybe even worse!!!

This is why I'm starting to think that most of the reasonable people here in TVNT are gone. Everyone complains about these mergers, and that's too much of what we do!!! No wonder less people are going to join this website!!! It's not just the corporations' fault, it's ours as well and you think Nexstar Media is going to run the stations to the ground???!!! I fell like this website is starting to as well, or maybe even worse!!!

Unless they change their mode of operation, judging by their past track record, it's not going to be good for the MG stations long-term. Besides an exception like the dollars spent on WATN Memphis, Nexstar buys up these MG stations, will change websites, take away choppers, strip looks and legacy VO and music, pull back on resources and screw with success in some of MG's more successful markets.... Why? That's short term thinking for the shareholder not building long-term value.

If they change and adapt to this massive purchase, great! But past performance says that's unlikely to happen. My advice in my previous post was to take a deep breath basically. My three suggestions were tongue and cheek mostly but not the worst idea :D

Unless they change their mode of operation, judging by their past track record, it's not going to be good for the MG stations long-term. Besides an exception like the dollars spent on WATN Memphis, Nexstar buys up these MG stations, will change websites, take away choppers, strip looks and legacy VO and music, pull back on resources and screw with success in some of MG's more successful markets.... Why? That's short term thinking for the shareholder not building long-term value.

If they change and adapt to this massive purchase, great! But past performance says that's a dream. My advice in my previous post was to take a deep breath basically. My three suggestions were tongue and cheek mostly but not a worst idea :D

Short term isn't the problem!!! It's the way they do it that might be!!! And as I kept saying, shareholders aren't stupid!!! They researched the company and Perry Sook himself said that he'll make the merger worth it!!!

How will this affect competitors in MG markets? Will Nexstar screw up so much that they can make headway?

Or will Nexstar's ad revenue keep them at bay?

And most of their competitors ignore local, except Gray, who does it better, except for local ads (no station group does that like Nexstar)

Oh great, here comes "Hometown 8 News" or some stupid crap like that for WISH.

From the looks of it, Nexstar will have a station in (almost) all of the IN markets:

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com/story/31071558/nexstar-to-acquire-media-general

It also said that the merger is subject to shareholder approval

Short term isn't the problem!!! It's the way they do it that might be!!! And as I kept saying, shareholders aren't stupid!!! They researched the company and Perry Sook himself said that he'll make the merger worth it!!!

Short-term decisions will make for longer-term issues. You're right. Shareholders aren't stupid --- they know that awesome Nexstar cost cutting will line their pockets and Sook will definitely make the merger worth it to shareholders. It's where and how that affects the MG stations and the industry long-term that's at issue.

Boy oh boy, I think I need the blunt, chocolate milk or tea, or all of the above [emoji16]

Short-term decisions will make for longer-term issues. You're right. Shareholders aren't stupid --- they know that awesome Nexstar cost cutting will line their pockets and Sook will definitely make the merger worth it to shareholders. It's where and how that affects the MG stations and the industry long-term that's at issue.

Boy oh boy, I think I need the blunt, chocolate milk or tea, or all of the above [emoji16]

"Short-term decisions will make for longer-term issues" my ass! It's how you approach them and some short term decisions help in the long term, especially if you don't worry about the latter. More so because of how unstable the stock market is

"Short-term decisions will make for longer-term issues" my ass! It's how you approach them and some short term decisions help in the long term, especially if you don't worry about the latter

Dude, you don't get it. Duh, obviously some short-term decisions help long-term with any business. You are missing the point. History SHOWS how they approach decision-making. For MOST of the Media General stations, it will not be good, UNLESS they change their mode of operation and way of thinking. Cost-cutting at many stations that have been dying for investment is not the answer. Outside of a handful of exceptions, Nexstar does not know how to approach short-term fixes that bring long-term value.

Go back above to my previous two or three posts. Get educated. Read what I said about what happened to radio. I know how the business works son and I also know all about stock trading/investing and shareholders. You aren't schooling me. As I said before UNLESS they change their way of doing things, things will NOT be good for Media General stations short or long-term. Every decision that is made in the short-term SHOULD be thinking about the long-term impact. EVERY DECISION!

This would be interesting in Columbus

You got WBNS Whom might get sold soon, WSYX/WTTE Who in the last few years have become a strong News Operation in Columbus and then you have WCMH-TV who Nexstar/MG would own who used to be a respected station in the market and is kind of in flux actually.From what I heard from you all about Nexstar It not good news for WCMH to be competitive in the market. But if WSYX/WTTE/WWHO keep what they been doing with the changes around them in the market this could be big for Sinclair's Three.

Retransmission consent and reverse compensation have totally turned this industry upside down. And we have Perry Sook to thank for coming up with the brilliant idea of holding viewers hostage to eke out retransmission consent revenue of an otherwise FREE product. And when the networks got in on the game, that is why the smaller and weaker companies are being sold and screwed out of their affiliations since their hand is in our pockets too...

Its only a matter of time before broadcast television cannot afford to affiliate with anyone....And these mega companies will collapse in favor of a few, strong local broadcasters who gave up on network affiliations in order to serve their local viewers....

And most of their competitors ignore local, except Gray, who does it better, except for local ads (no station group does that like Nexstar)

What in the world does this even mean? How do the other groups "ignore local" compared to Nexstar?

WTF is "local" about cutting local staff and resources, hubbing everything, forcing cookie-cutter websites on stations, et. al?

You have yet to explain how Nexstar actually does "local" outside of Perry Sook saying the word "local" in every other sentence.

What in the world does this even mean? How do the other groups "ignore local" compared to Nexstar?

WTF is "local" about cutting local staff and resources, hubbing everything, forcing cookie-cutter websites on stations, et. al?

You have yet to explain how Nexstar actually does "local" outside of Perry Sook saying the word "local" in every other sentence.

Because, as much as I hate saying this, people do it more than they admit. Have you cut costs on your budget before?

Dude, you don't get it. Duh, obviously some short-term decisions help long-term with any business. You are missing the point. History SHOWS how they approach decision-making. For MOST of the Media General stations, it will not be good, UNLESS they change their mode of operation and way of thinking. Cost-cutting at many stations that have been dying for investment is not the answer. Outside of a handful of exceptions, Nexstar does not know how to approach short-term fixes that bring long-term value.

Go back above to my previous two or three posts. Get educated. Read what I said about what happened to radio. I know how the business works son and I also know all about stock trading/investing and shareholders. You aren't schooling me. As I said before UNLESS they change their way of doing things, things will NOT be good for Media General stations short or long-term. Every decision that is made in the short-term SHOULD be thinking about the long-term impact. EVERY DECISION!

That thing about short terminism is the sort of indoctrination that many people have about businesses, including the TV business

Archived