Nexstar bids for Media General

TheRob

This is amazing news for WBAY and KWQC because not only do they avoid the Nexstar-ification that they would've gotten if accepted, but they get better owners through Gray who already own alot of #1 stations in various markets, including Dothan, Madison, Eau Claire/La Crosse, Tallahassee and plenty of others.

EDIT: In just 3 years, WBAY and KWQC go from Young (and a bit of Gray due to financial issues) to M.G. to Gray. The revolving doors of ownership continues for these amazing stations that continue to be #1 in their markets, despite the continuing ownership changes.

The Madison station isn't #1. IIRC WISC won in most timeslots in the last ratings with WKOW in the doghouse. Not sure how the La Crosse/Eau Claire dynamic works but I'd imagine WEAU wins the Eau Claire part and WKBT the La Crosse part with WXOW/WQOW playing second banana.

WCTV and WTVY are definitely powerhouses.

From what I've gathered from people in the know...Gray is very good to their legacy stations...but are cheap elsewhere.

They've pretty clearly invested in stations like WSAW for example.

It's still an upgrade over Perry Sook & Co. for WBAY/KWQC. Gray will probably be good to them as they're legacies.

Here are my reasons....

1. Nexstar is a cheap company that will decimate the MG stations.

2. Come retransmission time, Nexstar wrote the book on holding viewers hostage if they can't deal with the cable companies. The hostility that LIN had in the past has bled into Media General since Vince Sadusky is in charge....for now.

3. Media General is an established user of Livestream. Live streaming is something Nexstar doesn't do too often and they've even TAKEN IT AWAY from the WVMH stations they've acquired.

4. Crappy, plastic looking logos, bad and derivative graphics and too many overused Stephen Arnold themes. I like his stuff, especially the pre SESAC apocalypse themes, but the newer stuff is so intertwined with Nexstar it sours my judgement...

5. Local this....local that....it locals my locals!!

6. The websites.....my god the websites....

How am I supposed to know a "matters" from a "pride" when they could just use the CALL LETTERS!

7. Expect some future affiliation balkings when CBS or others are up for renewal. It seems like this could be a collision course...

That's all....for now.

And just when WKBN got rid of the Piedmont sitnk...

I REALLY hope not. I'm not about to drag out an antenna or only watch WFMJ for local news

Again, I really don't want to watch WFMJ for news come retransmission time.

And I thought WKBN's current logo is generic.

WKBN Local 27 First News...try saying that five times.

myvalleymatters.com doesn't matter when the website is atrocious.

I'm in Youngstown so this one doesn't affect me.

If we think they're so cheap, then why hasn't any of us called NEXSTAR'S OFFICES??!!!

• Replies 560
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we think they're so cheap, then why hasn't any of us called NEXSTAR'S OFFICES??!!!

Because it's no one's business how Nexstar decides to run/operate their stations. If you are interested in owning Nexstar and not running the stations on the cheap, then please, by all means purchase the group.

Anyway, I'm wondering what exactly WSLS might need upgrading when Graham assumes control. New studios? More vans? Oh, and Graham now has another channel 10 to fill the void of WPLG (though I'm kinda thing BH will eventually return PLG to Graham).

3. Media General is an established user of Livestream. Live streaming is something Nexstar doesn't do too often and they've even TAKEN IT AWAY from the WVMH stations they've acquired.

At least they are heading in the right direction about this.

8. This whole merger was a hostile one forced on by the shareholders which were egged on by Perry Sook himself. They will be the only ones to benefit and the viewers as well as employees will suffer.
Not just egged on, but rigged as well! And as much as I doubt that Donald Trump was involved, I hope that he really wasn't involved. And maybe I'm overreacting on this, but this and the fcc spectrum auction is something that will change the face of tv here in america forever.

At least they are heading in the right direction about this.
I checked newson and apparently they removed KLAS for some reason. Probably because they're more conservative than even sinclair is and don't think live streaming is a good idea

6a. A good number of those websites have that neon blue look on the top banner...and the logos for those awful URLs!

localsyr_header_blue-min.jpg

(from LOCALSYR.com)

dothanfirst_header_blue-min.jpg

(from DothanFirst.com)

mypanhandle_header_blue-min.jpg

(from MyPanhandle.com)

At least the call letter URL's still work.....well, except for WSYR.com, which iHeart kept for their radio station when WSYR-TV gor sold off...

The shareholders of Nexstar and Media General have approved the deal.

Also, The FCC appears to be taking a closer look at the deal. They sent this letter to Nexstar and Media General on Friday asking for more information on Nexstar's national ownership cap compliance and the public interest benefits that Nexstar and MG claim would result from the merger.

Regarding the cap, if they were at 41.4% originally and with Denver and Jacksonville out, now they would be at 39.4%. They need to shed at least one more station (or duopoly) in a market no lower than #60 to make the deal. Getting out of two mid-markets would also do such.

If I made the offer, I'd put KHON, WHLT, WJTV and WTHI up for sale. The conflict in Fort Wayne would go to a speculator. I think Jackson MS is one market where a station should go up for sale, to ease any concerns about WNTZ which is licensed to the market despite not serving it, and WHLT can bring the market share down in turn. KHON is so isolated anyway, and that gets most of the way down (it alone is not quite enough to get Nexstar under the cap, but close).

Regarding the cap, if they were at 41.4% originally and with Denver and Jacksonville out, now they would be at 39.4%. They need to shed at least one more station (or duopoly) in a market no lower than #60 to make the deal. Getting out of two mid-markets would also do such.

They need to get rid of WHAG. The whole DC market counts against the cap for Nexstar (2ish %). Not worth it when they don't serve anywhere near the whole market.

WTHI is leading way in the Wabash Valley they should spin that off to Gary, Qunicy, or Meredith. Fort Wayne sale WANE to Gary since the already have WNDU in South Bend. I wish they would spare WAVY and a few other smaller markets to decent group. Only thing I seen happening again is once the deal gets the FCC blessing and I hope they don't but they will. Wait till everything is hubbed and see how that works like when power went out at WWLP and many stations had very little programming.

They need to get rid of WHAG. The whole DC market counts against the cap for Nexstar (2ish %).

As does KRON in the Bay Area in MG's case. Nexstar will probably try to shop that station around to potential suitors post-merger if not used as spectrum bait.

WTHI is leading way in the Wabash Valley they should spin that off to Gary, Qunicy, or Meredith. Fort Wayne sale WANE to Gary since the already have WNDU in South Bend. I wish they would spare WAVY and a few other smaller markets to decent group. Only thing I seen happening again is once the deal gets the FCC blessing and I hope they don't but they will. Wait till everything is hubbed and see how that works like when power went out at WWLP and many stations had very little programming.

Nexstar is keeping WANE, and selling WFFT.

Where would KRON go if not to a speculator? The only suitor I could see for KRON might be Disney (since it's already in KGO's building), but as we all know, ABC RARELY buys stations.

That is how I see it too - the others all already have duopolies, and it is too big of a market for anyone else to try to acquire a dog station with little growth potential and no chance to grab a network affiliation. If they sell it then it is speculator bait. Hence, I doubt they will sell KRON right now as it has nowhere to go.

From a financial and legal perspective (just my own opinion), I find KHON in Honolulu a good place to start, since it is hard to make money running a station in Hawaii and it gets them over 85% of the way to clearing the cap hurdle (brings Nexstar down to 39.0%) but finding an owner willing to take on the challenge could be difficult. Then WJTV and WHLT would be the most sensible next move, to ease any anxiety with WNTZ which may have difficulty passing FCC muster based on interpretation rules *and* also, in turn, keeps them together, as WHLT would get them right under the cap at 38.9%.

Archived