KTLA adding 4 and 5 PM newscasts?

fan of la tv

I was on my Uverse guide and all this week there are one-hour newscasts scheduled for 4 and 5 PM. Bill Cuningham which was on at 4 pm is now on at 2AM and Crime Watch Daily at 5 PM is on at 11:30 PM. The guide says Micah Ohlman and Cher Calvin are anchors. But that would mean 4.5 hours of anchoring: 4-7 and 10-11:30pm

Interesting to see if this pans out.

This would mean that KTLA would produce 12.5 hours of news per day.

4-10 AM, 1-2 PM, 3-7 PM, and 10-11:30 PM

I was on my Uverse guide and all this week there are one-hour newscasts scheduled for 4 and 5 PM. Bill Cuningham which was on at 4 pm is now on at 2AM and Crime Watch Daily at 5 PM is on at 11:30 PM. The guide says Micah Ohlman and Cher Calvin are anchors. But that would mean 4.5 hours of anchoring: 4-7 and 10-11:30pm

Interesting to see if this pans out.

This would mean that KTLA would produce 12.5 hours of news per day.

4-10 AM, 1-2 PM, 3-7 PM, and 10-11:30 PM

Would make sense to let Glen and Lu anchor at 5pm, with Micah and Cher at 4pm.

I'm 99% sure they had like a 7-9am extension of KCBS that lasted until a few years ago.

KCAL has never had a weekday 7-9am extension of KCBS news. In 2012, KCAL started and is still on a 7-9am newscast that broadcasts on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Not on the schedule for next week. This would not be the first time KTLA did a test in time periods when they previously were not airing news.

Yes, just like last year when they had a 2 PM newscast for a couple of weeks and was dropped. At this time, I feel like KTLA only provided updated programming info to the guide services for this week and has not changed info for the following week. When I checked the guide a couple of days ago, these newscasts were not on the guide so this was a relatively late update. I did see a promo at lunchtime promoting 4PM news. Lu Parker said she and Glen Walker are anchoring the 1, 3, and 4 PM newscasts this week. Assuming Micah and Cher will be anchoring the 5 PM.

What makes you think it's temporary?

The 4 and 5pm news are already eliminated by next week.

Bill Cunningham and CWD go back to their timeslots (4 and 5pm respectively) next week.

KTLA 5 did this before with a temporary 2pm newscast earlier this year before dropping it weeks later.

This is only temporary because KTLA 5 has been in this situation before.

The 4 and 5pm news are already eliminated by next week.

Bill Cunningham and CWD go back to their timeslots (4 and 5pm respectively) next week.

KTLA 5 did this before with a temporary 2pm newscast earlier this year before dropping it weeks later.

This is only temporary because KTLA 5 has been in this situation before.

It's not 100% sure that it is temporary. As my earlier post pointed out, the newscasts only appeared on the various television guides in the last couple days. Newscasts were not originally scheduled for this week. It is possible that KTLA has not updated the following week's programming schedules yet.

So far no official mention that this is temporary by KTLA or any other employee. Last year, it was mentioned almost immediately that one of the two added newscasts 2 or 3 pm would be dropped. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Guest Former Member 207
KCAL has never had a weekday 7-9am extension of KCBS news. In 2012, KCAL started and is still on a 7-9am newscast that broadcasts on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

When Disney owned KCAL, they tried a 6am newshour for about a couple years before it was axed for more cartoons. But yeah, KCAL never had a 7-9am newscast (perhaps they should have, even despite KTLA and KTTV dominating in that period).

• 3 weeks later...
I think they should ditch the 3:00 pm show and do 4:00, 5:00, & 6:00.

Why? They have no competition at 3pm, plus they fill that void that KCAL left behind when they canned several newscasts. Come May, KNBC will be doing a 4pm newscast. Do you really think its smart to go head to head with 3 other competitors at 4, when you can have a 3pm all by yourself?

Archived