Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Ed Ansin is just upset that he's loosing the affiliation. If WHDH's agreement is like everyone else's (and likely pre dating Comcast) I don't see much wiggle room. It's not like NBC is pulling the contract halfway through but rather opting to not renew it.

Here's the ruling from NewEngland One. I'm in the process of reading it.

Also clearly NBC isn't that concerned about OTA penetration for the market. In the Boston/Manchester DMA only 3.7% of viewers receive programming over the air. Cable viewers account for 84.1% of viewership in said DMA and 12.4% receive it through ADS (Satellite).

With modern encoding they easily could handle running both NBC and Telemundo in HD on WNEU at either both 1080i or 1080i/720p + 1 subchannel (like what they do in the Bay Area) and with fiber lines to cable and satellite companies (don't larger markets send signals to satellite companies over fiber) they can send 1080i signals for both channels.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have a hunch 'HDH will appeal.

On what grounds? The judge repudiated each and every one of WHDH's arguments either on their merits or on WHDH's standing to sue. Unless the FCC steps in on the OTA coverage issue (highly unlikely) it's game, set and match for Comcast.

Ansin had to know that there was a possibility that he would lose, and there should be a contingency plan to move forward. He done well without NBC at WSVN and he can do the same with WHDH. I do wonder if he's pondering to sell to NBC, but he has always stayed true about keeping his business dealings in the family.

Ansin had to know that there was a possibility that he would lose, and there should be a contingency plan to move forward. He done well without NBC at WSVN and he can do the same with WHDH. I do wonder if he's pondering to sell to NBC, but he has always stayed true about keeping his business dealings in the family.
I still think that he should at least sell WLVI to NBC (Kabletown). If not, then he should at least make WLVI a New Hampshire bureau.

IIRC isn't Ed sole owner of Sunbeam? This would cause some massive inheritance tax headaches when he inevitability passes given how Allbritton was in the same boat.

IIRC isn't Ed sole owner of Sunbeam? This would cause some massive inheritance tax headaches when he inevitability passes given how Allbritton was in the same boat.

Who knows how his will is structured, but he has 3 children and he divorced, and who knows if he has left anything for the former Mrs. Ansin along with the grand-kids etc.

It goes back to the article back in the late 80s that when WSVN was going through their network shuffle he was adamant about not selling to the networks or any other media company. He wanted to keep it in the family. Plus he owns real estate in Miami & Indianapolis. IIRC he owns the WHDH building?

And then what will WLVI be?
If Ansin sells it, an NBC O&O station. If not, he should make it a New Hampshire bureau that competes with WMUR.

Who knows how his will is structured, but he has 3 children and he divorced, and who knows if he has left anything for the former Mrs. Ansin along with the grand-kids etc.

It goes back to the article back in the late 80s that when WSVN was going through their network shuffle he was adamant about not selling to the networks or any other media company. He wanted to keep it in the family. Plus he owns real estate in Miami & Indianapolis. IIRC he owns the WHDH building?

At some point, the M&A craze will hit even the Ansin family, where they'll have to sell their stations to the networks or any other media company. But if that ever happens, they should at least get a stake in Fox (including its O&O division, Fox TV stations)

If Ansin sells it, an NBC O&O station. If not, he should make it a New Hampshire bureau that competes with WMUR.

At some point, the M&A craze will hit even the Ansin family, where they'll have to sell their stations to the networks or any other media company. But if that ever happens, they should at least get a stake in Fox (including its O&O division, Fox TV stations)

Honestly, I don't think that's going to happen with WLVI. Given that the CW contract is up in a couple of months. 'LVI was a good station, sadly got in the way thanks to the Telecom Act of 1996. :(

I'm sure that the value of WHDH dropped after the judge's ruling yesterday. Ed better make a choice, and quickly otherwise he risks losing a lot more. This isn't 1987, where he was able to get the FOX affiliation in Miami and came out winning. He now faces the reality of an industry that is rapidly consolidating, controlled by big-money conglomerates. Is there a long-term future for him and his tv business? who knows, but the reality is that his crown jewel is depreciating every minute he lets pass.

That would never happen. WMUR would eat them alive.

I could see NH1 cutting a deal with WHDH to share content, just as WCSH and NECN do in Maine (NECN's Portland bureau is based out of WCSH.) Binnie must be losing his shirt up there.

I'm sure that the value of WHDH dropped after the judge's ruling yesterday. Ed better make a choice, and quickly otherwise he risks losing a lot more. This isn't 1987, where he was able to get the FOX affiliation in Miami and came out winning. He now faces the reality of an industry that is rapidly consolidating, controlled by big-money conglomerates. Is there a long-term future for him and his tv business? who knows, but the reality is that his crown jewel is depreciating every minute he lets pass.

Graham Media Group's WJXT is doing well in Jacksonville (market #47) as a news-intensive indie, and JAX is a far smaller market than Boston (market #7.) Granted, there is more competition in BOS, but I think Ansin, who is a billionaire and not swimming in debt, can make a go of it on his own. Will WHDH be a money machine like WSVN? No, but he should keep his head above water. WLVI is likely expendable at this point.

Graham Media Group's WJXT is doing well in Jacksonville (market #47) as a news-intensive indie, and JAX is a far smaller market than Boston (market #7.) Granted, there is more competition in BOS, but I think Ansin, who is a billionaire and not swimming in debt, can make a go of it on his own. Will WHDH be a money machine like WSVN? No, but he should keep his head above water. WLVI is likely expendable at this point.
And as such, like I mentioned many times, it should be sold to NBC.

Something tells me WHDH is going to end up the same way as WJXT or KRON.

They end up with a news theme of their own and made in house, lose affiliation and end up with news as their top rated programming.

In this day-in-age. very few independents can thrive, let alone survive. How much more is Ansin willing to pour into WHDH to make it competitive without the benefit of a network affiliation? Not to mention, the ad revenues he would be losing by not having NBC programming. Is he willing to pour more resources into the product if the revenues don't cover it? WJXT has had years to establish itself as an independent, plus it has an owner that owns more than 2 television stations. KUSI is another example of an independent that has done very well, but then again it was an independent from the get go and the owners run it on the cheap...

Without NBC, WHDH has the opportunity to redefine itself as an INDEPENDENT news station which the Boston area sorely needs.

And considering the blow up in news expansion over the past year or even 5 years or so in the market, WHDH will surely fit that need as Boston's TRUE and ONLY independent news station.

Without NBC, WHDH has the opportunity to redefine itself as an INDEPENDENT news station which the Boston area sorely needs.

Some smart choices with first run syndication and more hyper local news. Fill the rest with Law & Order.

Ed is no dummy.

Credibility is low on this, but the Boston Herald seems to have some inside sources that NBC is in talks to buy WBPX. Ion doesn't sell easily, but the chance of them buying WBPX is better than them buying from Ansin.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/inside_track/2016/05/whdh_nbc_scramble_in_wake_of_ugly_split

The rumor at NAB was that ION is all-in with the spectrum auction.

Credibility is low on this, but the Boston Herald seems to have some inside sources that NBC is in talks to buy WBPX. Ion doesn't sell easily, but the chance of them buying WBPX is better than them buying from Ansin.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/inside_track/2016/05/whdh_nbc_scramble_in_wake_of_ugly_split

The Inside Track is the same column that created the rumors about NBC buying WLVI a decade ago which led Ansin to buy WLVI for far more than Tribune wanted. Read into this as you may.

Some smart choices with first run syndication and more hyper local news. Fill the rest with Law & Order.

Ed is no dummy.

Sunbeam has never been one to invest in syndicated product, not in Miami or in Boston. What would make anyone think they would invest now?

I almost can see this. Ion owns two other transmitters in the general region (at Concord and Vineyard Haven) and I can see them getting spectrum boosts from those alone. They don't need WBPX for that.

I almost can see this. Ion owns two other transmitters in the general region (at Concord and Vineyard Haven) and I can see them getting spectrum boosts from those alone. They don't need WBPX for that.

Can they swap PSIP numbers between them? I'm sure if they could make WBPX's PSIP 21.x and WPXG's PSIP 68.x that this deal would gain a lot of steam.

Archived