NBC also giving in to Litton for E/I

Viper550

So wait a minute... NBC, CBS, ABC and CW will now have Litton content for their E/I programming? Oh god.

Why can't just Litton carry those E/I shows on a dedicated subchannel or on a cable/satellite network to leave local stations alone?

As much as the FCC wants E/I programming on local TV stations: it sucks, its weak, its no good, its old. Especially old since children are no longer watching Saturday mornings because there's no cartoons on. Plus, they're all moving to digital/online services to watch E/I or cartoon programming.

The more and more children are addicted to the internet and smartphones to watch their favorite cartoons or E/I programming, the less this law is need and the more it needs to be replaced so that local stations can get back more time for themselves again.

Wow. Litton has a near monopoly on E/I programming. Weekend Adventure for ABC, Dream Team for CBS, One Magnificent Morning for The CW, and the syndicated Go Time! set to launch this fall. And now, NBC.

The more robot children the better for all.

In the old days we were all hopped up on Sugar Smacks...and played all afternoon in the streets until nightfall.

Cars had no seat belts...and there were no perverts because there was no internet.

This leaves Qubo (Ion), and the Xploration Station (Fox mostly) blocks as the only non- Litton Blocks.

The 13-16 year old demographic isn't going to watch. They have been too ingrained to think that E/I programming is for younger viewers, and as mentioned previously the targeted group is the age group likely to go online for their media consumption.

The More You Know is probably one of the best campaign the network has ever done.

d2R5Y2xPdnZDQ09ReklRUEpvdGswdzQ3_o_nbc-today-show-the-more-you-know-about-education.jpg

With all that said, it's a shame they'll be the fourth network to have a Litton block. Why can't they find another producer to produce the E/I content. Why Litton has to run 14 hr..... wait what?!!!

Wow. Litton has a near monopoly on E/I programming. Weekend Adventure for ABC, Dream Team for CBS, One Magnificent Morning for The CW, and the syndicated Go Time! set to launch this fall. And now, NBC.

Go Time?! Really?!!! So Litton will launch two new blocks this fall. So that's 17 hours of E/I content on Saturdays this fall. This is a monopoly in my view. But the FCC probably don't care who produces it, as long as stations follow their 3-hr E/I airing protocol and fill-out the paperwork every quarter, that's what matters to them.

This leaves Qubo (Ion), and the Xploration Station (Fox mostly) blocks as the only non- Litton Blocks.

Fox have that Steve Rotfeld-produced block, Xploration Station. And that's only two hours.

But in reality, who watches this shit?! Who really watches this E/I content every Saturday? None of the children under 13 watches it. They're glued to cable networks Cartoon Network, Disney & Nickelodeon. And I know the age group they're trying to target isn't watching either. The E/I content that's airing right now is nothing more than "dead air" to these stations. And although I don't advocate stations adding more newscasts to replace it, they can make better use of the three hours, then to follow this outlandish E/I rule.

If you look carefully at the E/I programming, it's really aimed at adults, and the commercial breaks are full of direct response and prescription drug ads.

It's aimed to the children who are smartphone or cable "challenged"...

Antenna kids.....

Poor kids....

...and the parents of said children.

(how was that for political correctness...I almost said "the g word".

What was wrong with carrying Sprout programming? Does Comcast want to make those shows exclusive to the channel?

It's pretty jarring to go from Meet the Press to a preschool show. Fox had a similar problem with Fox Kids clashing with local newscasts.

Btw, you'd think kids 13-16 would watch E/I programming? How stupid is Litton or the FCC for that matter? For god sakes, when I was 13, I would be watching The Weather Channel or CNN or WSVN or ESPN/ESPNews. (I'm being honest... I have never watched a full E/I program since my elementary days watching PBS Kids).

Nobody aged 13-16 watches E/I programming. Litton is wasting their time.

I hope Litton's proud of themselves that they made a monopoly across the major networks. Kinda reminds me of a certain company located a little bit northern. ;)

But hey, let's get real. The E/I law is ridiculous and a burden to broadcast networks and their affiliates. It's redundant, outdated, and no longer serves it's purpose to it's key demographic.

Wake up FCC, this is the 21st century. Abolish it.

I hope Litton's proud of themselves that they made a monopoly across the major networks. Kinda reminds me of a certain company located a little bit northern. ;)

But hey, let's get real. The E/I law is ridiculous and a burden to broadcast networks and their affiliates. It's redundant, outdated, and no longer serves it's purpose to it's key demographic.

Agreed. Btw, does the CRTC have any rules regarding E/I programming in Canada?

Btw, these rules cause digital subchannel networks to interrupt their format for three stupid hours of E/I programming, every week, per FCC rules, which is so f**king stupid IMO. Classic TV, weather subchannels, movie networks, etc. all have to interrupt their formats for IMO, three stupid hours of wasteless TV programming.

Agreed. Btw, does the CRTC have any rules regarding E/I programming in Canada?

Nope, CRTC doesn't assign anything related to E/I but the current networks has the option to do so - which is great. :D

The current networks can't compete either: CBC, TVOntario and Knowledge Network holds a very strong E/I presence.

Btw, you'd think kids 13-16 would watch E/I programming? How stupid is Litton or the FCC for that matter? For god sakes, when I was 13, I would be watching The Weather Channel or CNN or WSVN or ESPN/ESPNews. (I'm being honest... I have never watched a full E/I program since my elementary days watching PBS Kids).

Nobody aged 13-16 watches E/I programming. Litton is wasting their time.

I would venture to say that most 13-16 year olds don't watch CNN or the Weather Channel either.

I would venture to say that most 13-16 year olds don't watch CNN or the Weather Channel either.

But hell, there's a better chance of them watching either CNN or TWC or even their local news than E/I programming, for sure.

Times are changing and the FCC is stuck in a 2007 era where E/I programming is thought is needed, but definitely not... anymore.

I don't see why anyone's complaining about Litton in all of this. They're in the best position possible. I mean, local stations need E/I programming, and no one else besides Litton (not even the local stations) has any interest in producing these programs. Create cheap mandatory programming, sell it directly to the networks, everybody's happy. You can complain about the E/I rule all you want, but Litton's making out like bandits here.

One problem, this isn't the FCC's doing. Congress ordered the FCC to implement this in the Children's Television Act of 1990, and the Parents' Television Council, and other organizations have enough clout with Congress to keep the current rules going. Plus Congress is full of people who barely know how to use email, much less how to get TV online...

It's pretty jarring to go from Meet the Press to a preschool show. Fox had a similar problem with Fox Kids clashing with local newscasts.

"KPHO Weather Now" inconveniently schedules two and a half hours of the syndicated "Gina D's Kids Club" (which hasn't been produced since 2005, only has 30 episodes "in the can," and has passed into the hands of different distributors since then) - and has been doing so for nearly ten years - on Sunday afternoons. The program director at the station only keeps the show out of convenience when he knows there's better content out there. I think this subchannel is a waste of bandwidth, but station management is so narrow-sighted, they moved it to a KTVK subchannel (with KPHO branding intact) when KPHO gained COZI TV.

Getting back to the subject at hand, at least Litton is currently producing new E/I content. Disney could still be syndicating old episodes of "Bill Nye, The Science Guy," but have decided not to for some reason.

Archived