WTAE to get a new set.

news89

Finally WTAE will be getting a new set in next few months. Apologies in advance with Facebook links. Current set has been in use since 2007. This comes along as both KDKA and WPXI got a new set in 2015.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154152864533643&id=90662953642

And video tour of current studio B and studio A. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1170082683004112&id=777826348896416

Like WLKY's Set, heck I've even visited their set, but their newsroom clashes like none other! They still have stuff from V1 of the newsroom set!!! (1998-2006)

Like WLKY's Set, heck I've even visited their set, but their newsroom clashes like none other! They still have stuff from V1 of the newsroom set!!! (1998-2006)

Which may may have been part of the Original "32Alive Newsroom" set from the late70's/early 80's (aka the first time John Belski was a meteorologist there.)

I guess WLKY is not far enough up the food chain to get their newsroom and studio renovated simultaneously. It is quite sad given that the newsrooms half the set.

KMBC really needs a new one, or something. Their set has been virtually untouched since they moved into their new building back in 2007. They're one of Hearst's best stations, you'd maybe figure they would have done something for them by now. But KMBC doesn't like to change what's been working...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Cool! Can't wait! I wish Wendy Bell was still there. Who is going to replace her? I sure hope it isn't Shannon Perrine, they need to hire somebody stronger.

I wonder if they're searching for a new anchor or if they'll promote someone from within. I agree that Shannon isn't really main anchor material, and I don't think Jackie Cain is either. This may be a crazy idea, but could they possibly bring Sonni Abatta back to the Burgh to take Wendy Bell's spot? I think a lot of viewers liked her when she was at KDKA.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... It's okay. It's Hearst though, they don't seem to care about commissioning impressive sets anymore.

One observant viewer points out that the imagery used on one monitor graphic is oudated. For what it's worth, the Hilton mentioned became a Wyndham Grand more than 5 years ago.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154335731633643

I like Ketv Set in Omaha a Lot better, I really was was hoping for something to compete with KDKA.

I visited WTAE back in the 90's for a job interview. The WTAE studio is an odd shaped space and a fraction of the size of KDKA's studio, hard to compete or compare apples to apples when WTAE is at such a disadvantage. I've never been in the KDKA building but you can see how much bigger that studio is when you look at some of the wide shots of the set. All things considered, Devlin did a great job with what they had to work with given such a small space. They also managed to give WTAE a completely different look and feel than KDKA, most set designers are so cookie cutter they can't pull that off in the same market. Can't wait to see more of the new set!

From WTAE's Twitter page:

WTAE02.jpg.fa5f836282c1a434d6221c73e604fc9a.jpg

WTAE03.jpg.59242a4ca944e8bda2f8cf32510be3d5.jpg

WTAE.jpg.0ee653f17e47715801fe2637f9f349d0.jpg

Archived