WTAE Anchor under fire for Facebook post

William1111

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article brought up a person who made lewd comments to interns and someone who was arrested for propositioning a police officer who were not fired or disciplined. Were these two people (assuming they are men) on air talent? If they are not I can see them not being terminated as they are not the faces of the station. However this was a second time that Wendy Bell made racially insensitive comments. Because she's the stations main anchor she should be held to a higher standard. That being said I think the person who made the lewd acts to the interns should have been disciplined or fired.

This article brought up a person who made lewd comments to interns and someone who was arrested for propositioning a police officer who were not fired or disciplined. Were these two people (assuming they are men) on air talent? If they are not I can see them not being terminated as they are not the faces of the station. However this was a second time that Wendy Bell made racially insensitive comments. Because she's the stations main anchor she should be held to a higher standard. That being said I think the person who made the lewd acts to the interns should have been disciplined or fired.

It's up to the court to decide what "racially sensitive comments" are.

When argued on a strictly legal platform the respondent (Hearst) will be taken to task.

If allowed...the "double standard" will be argued also.

This is not a free speech issue, it's a definition issue as I see it.

I hate how political this has become. Also, is she really asking for her job back, or just the payment she's missing out on since her termination? Let's just say for the moment she wins and WTAE is forced to reinstate her. What's the point? Her contract is up in less than a year anyway, so all WTAE has to do is not renew it and then there is literally nothing (legally) wrong and she'd just have to deal with it. Is that worth it to her to get her job back for only a few months, only to be terminated again anyway? Not only that, there's the issue of productivity in the newsroom. An anchor was fired for comments, ALL on air personalities were and still probably are on edge about what they say online. Now they have a fired coworker back working with them because she sued and won. Can you imagine how awkward that must be in the work place? That assumes, of course, her coworkers don't support her.

Another issue is objectiveness. ASSUMING she has a negative opinion of black people, what's to say that she isn't editing stories to portray them in a more negative light that "upholds" the stereotype? If she truly DOESN'T have a negative opinion, she herself still has a slightly damaged image, as does WTAE.

I also find it funny that she specifically says her in suit that she wants to forbid Hearst from "permanently enjoined from discriminating or retaliating against her." Why? Well assuming she wins and gets let back on air, viewers will come back to her and only summarily leave once her contract isn't renewed next March, causing those viewers to leave again. That's like passive-retaliation right there. "Bring back and your viewers will come back, but fire me again and watch them never return."

I hate how political this has become. Also, is she really asking for her job back, or just the payment she's missing out on since her termination? Let's just say for the moment she wins and WTAE is forced to reinstate her. What's the point? Her contract is up in less than a year anyway, so all WTAE has to do is not renew it and then there is literally nothing (legally) wrong and she'd just have to deal with it. Is that worth it to her to get her job back for only a few months, only to be terminated again anyway? Not only that, there's the issue of productivity in the newsroom. An anchor was fired for comments, ALL on air personalities were and still probably are on edge about what they say online. Now they have a fired coworker back working with them because she sued and won. Can you imagine how awkward that must be in the work place? That assumes, of course, her coworkers don't support her.

Another issue is objectiveness. ASSUMING she has a negative opinion of black people, what's to say that she isn't editing stories to portray them in a more negative light that "upholds" the stereotype? If she truly DOESN'T have a negative opinion, she herself still has a slightly damaged image, as does WTAE.

I also find it funny that she specifically says her in suit that she wants to forbid Hearst from "permanently enjoined from discriminating or retaliating against her." Why? Well assuming she wins and gets let back on air, viewers will come back to her and only summarily leave once her contract isn't renewed next March, causing those viewers to leave again. That's like passive-retaliation right there. "Bring back and your viewers will come back, but fire me again and watch them never return."

Thank you for this insightful piece. I cannot argue with anything you said. I just couldn't believe she really wants her job back. Correct me if I am wrong but has anyone ever get there job back after being fired with regards of a law suit? Part of me think she's suing to get a settlement instead of working back with Hearst. If she goes through with this, she might as well see her career as over unless Fox News hires her but they seem to have standards.

ALL on air personalities were and still probably are on edge about what they say online....

This is exactly why this needs to go to a judge. This stuff (social media postings) is uncharted waters. The rules need to be laid down for both employer and employee when it comes to "required" social media postings / allowed content.

Anyone can shout "racism" and instantly get an entire hen house riled up, but you can't just go firing people without clear guidelines as to what is right and wrong.

I'm the first to complain about wasting the court time...but in this case you need to establish the ground rules once and for all.

Page 4 items 22 and 23 are the juicy items about the hooker arrest and the lewd comments to the intern...

It names names...

LOL

Yikes. There must be something in the water at the sports department - their main sports anchor for making lewd comments and another sports/anchor reporter for propositioning a cop.

Thank you for this insightful piece. I cannot argue with anything you said. I just couldn't believe she really wants her job back. Correct me if I am wrong but has anyone ever get there job back after being fired with regards of a law suit? Part of me think she's suing to get a settlement instead of working back with Hearst. If she goes through with this, she might as well see her career as over unless Fox News hires her but they seem to have standards.

This. She doesn't want her job back, what she wants is a settlement that includes a check with enough numbers on it that she never has to work another day in her life.

This. She doesn't want her job back, what she wants is a settlement that includes a check with enough numbers on it that she never has to work another day in her life.

Yep. She can never work in the business again, so she's grabbing for anything she can get. I suspect there will be an out-of-court settlement, given that Wendy has already aired some of WTAE's dirty laundry and is likely to have more on them. At this point she's got nothing left to lose, so a scorched-earth approach may be her best option.

I would be pissed at Wendy if I was Andrew Stockey. They were co-anchors for a long time and he initially stood up for Wendy when her post started to get some buzz. Coreecrion, he stood up for her twice becuase when she said that off the cuff joke about being tan looking like Andrew, he said he wasnt offended.I can't believe she's doing all of this and for what. This is ridiculous.

Wendy is a special kind of stupid. The more she speaks out, the stupider she sounds. Me thinks that she's had her "Bell" rung more than a few times, and has lost a crapload of brain cells along the way.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived