KEYE Rebrands as 'CBS Austin'

Big Country News

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The ABC logo is literally a black circle with letters in it.

Many stations are required to have that logo in theirs, and ABC___ is common branding.

But would you be okay if KVUE rebrands as ABC Austin and/or KXAN rebrands as NBC Austin?

Oh. Do you mean hokey like WNCN's and WGCL's logo? Why can't they just use the eye and the city name. They aren't using the powerhouse eye branding play for itself. The 'CBS' lettering is crippling.

And add in WFOR's rather chintzy "CBS 4" logo used through most of the 2000s.

When you see the CBS eye device, you automatically think of CBS. Is it that hard for some graphic designers to notice?

The eye with 'CBS' is the official network logo, which looks fine too me.

Not everyone sees the eye by itself and thinks CBS.

That depends on the division of CBS about which you're referring. And when we look at the O&Os we don't see any word-mark. Additionally, none of these word-marks are of the official font type (of which there seems to be two or three).

Finally, where else has anyone seen an eye exactly like CBS's and thought something other than CBS?

That depends on the division of CBS about which you're referring. And when we look at the O&Os we don't see any word-mark. Additionally, none of these word-marks are of the official font type (of which there seems to be two or three).

Finally, where else has anyone seen an eye exactly like CBS's and thought something other than CBS?

And where else has anyone seen a peacock exactly like NBC's and thought of something other than NBC? The "NBC" lettering on KNTV, WVIT, and whatever NBC's new Boston O&O will be is rather redundant because we already know what the rainbow peacock stands for.

I count three: one for the broadcast network, and two for CBS News (one of which is the classic Didot font that is also used for the soon-to-be-spun-off CBS Radio).

From what I understand, the original pre-1997 CBS Radio (which was merged into both Group W and Infinity Broadcasting; the actual CBS Radio Network excluding CBS Radio News was combined into Westwood One and ceased to exist) never used the eye device. They picked it up in late 2005 when Infinity Broadcasting became the second iteration of CBS Radio following the Viacom spinoff.

I am not saying this is the case, but the call letters, KEYE, costs the station a lot of money every month because they lease the rights to use it. It could be a cost cutting adventure. I know the website is still keyetv.com but could happen in phases. I know we looked at doing this to cut cost but quickly decided against it with the brand recall with the call letters.

I am not saying this is the case, but the call letters, KEYE, costs the station a lot of money every month because they lease the rights to use it. It could be a cost cutting adventure. I know the website is still keyetv.com but could happen in phases. I know we looked at doing this to cut cost but quickly decided against it with the brand recall with the call letters.

Really? Just curious: Who are they paying for the right to use the KEYE call letters? Even now that they've dropped the call letters from their branding, they're still the station's official call letters, so wouldn't they have to pay still?

Really? Just curious: Who are they paying for the right to use the KEYE call letters? Even now that they've dropped the call letters from their branding, they're still the station's official call letters, so wouldn't they have to pay still?
Better yet, why dont they change their call letters?

This is a first to hear about leasing call letters? I know Granite branded the station as KEYE after they were originally KBVO (for those that live in Texas, you should understand the meaning of those calls) To me that does not sound right. And who would they lease it from? Granite did that in 1995 and I don't think CBS when they owned the station had to pay leasing and neither did Four Points when they owned it.

IIRC, KBVO was named after their Texas Longhorns mascot, Bevo. (Hook 'Em Horns!)

Yup! That's why Austin NBC affiliate KXAN (formerly LIN, now Media General, soon Nexstar) decided a few years back to use the KBVO call letters for its MyTV sister station, which used to be branded as KXAM, back when it was a Hill Country-focused feed of KXAN with special news updates, etc.

Perryton Radio, LLC owns and operates KEYE/1400 and KEYE/93.7 up in Perryton, Texas... literally at the northernmost part of the Texas panhandle.

Archived