KEYE Rebrands as 'CBS Austin'

Big Country News

Likely following in the footsteps of WNCN, KEYE may soon follow the 'Network - City/Market' brand with a very similar logo.

KEYE also appears to be rebranding its morning show in line with CBS This Morning.

Sadly the graphics and set are the same, but maybe this move will get KEYE CBS Austin out of the ratings gutter.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why rebrand as CBS Austin? Everyone in the Hill Country except KTBC brands by its call letters. Plus, Sinclair should've used a font that matches with the DIN font in the graphics.

Very few Sinclair stations use DIN within their logos and none as the base font.

Even though most Sinclair stations incorporate network branding in their individual brands, I'm not sure it makes much sense here. Granite Broadcasting chose the call letters when it affiliated the station with CBS in 1995 for pretty much the same purpose, since it refers to the network's iconic eye logo (hence why the station has always phoneticized it as "K-EYE"). If they wanted to call the station "CBS Austin," they should incorporate the KEYE calls within it, visually and verbally.

Why rebrand as CBS Austin? Everyone in the Hill Country except KTBC brands by its call letters. Plus, Sinclair should've used a font that matches with the DIN font in the graphics.
What next, NBC Austin or even ABC Austin (much like how KXTV rebranded to ABC 10)?

What's next? A rebrand of KUTV as "CBS Utah"? That would make better sense.

In this case, it actually makes sense in a statewide sense. But unlike KEYE, KUTV is a leading market station having leapfrogged longtime market leader KSL. KUTV has a name and is one of the few Sinclair stations that is winning the ratings.

As for KEYE, all they have is their affiliation....and it's just another bottom-feeder run by "that" company circling the drain as corporate tries desperately to make something of them.

In this case, it actually makes sense in a statewide sense. But unlike KEYE, KUTV is a leading market station having leapfrogged longtime market leader KSL. KUTV has a name and is one of the few Sinclair stations that is winning the ratings.

As for KEYE, all they have is their affiliation....and it's just another bottom-feeder run by "that" company circling the drain as corporate tries desperately to make something of them.

There's a reason why KUTV is a leading market station. Utah is a conservative state, which fits rather nicely with Sinclair's right-wing bias.

What's next? A rebrand of KUTV as "CBS Utah"? That would make better sense.
Even KTVX is branded as "ABC 4 Utah", so I agree with you on that (though as tyrannical bastard says, KUTV is one of the few market leaders Sinclair has). And by that account, WCCO should also rebrand as CBS 4 Minnesota (not CBS Minnesota for obvious reasons), and both KNXV and KGUN should rebrand as "ABC Arizona".

Going to be interesting to see if this actually happens or if it's just something under consideration. One potential hurdle is that it looks like CBS radio owns cbsaustin.com.

They did an opening tonight post-convention that resembled the new CBS Evening News open, complete with globe graphic and "KEYE News" in the same font, which is also a departure from their normal since they tend to brand everything as KEYE-TV.

TV 42 has been through news naming changes in their 21 years as a CBS station.

KEYEwitness News (1995-2000)

KEYE News (2000-2005)

CBS 42 KEYE News (2005-2006)

CBS 42 News (2006-2011)

KEYE-TV News (2011-2016)

CBS Austin News (2016-Present)

Likely following in the footsteps of WNCN, KEYE may soon follow the 'Network - City/Market' brand with a very similar logo.

KEYE also appears to be rebranding its morning show in line with CBS This Morning.

Sadly the graphics and set are the same, but maybe this move will get KEYE CBS Austin out of the ratings gutter.

This is good. Now if we can get WOAI to rebrand as NBC 4. Most Sinclair stations are branding themselves as "Network name/channel number or region"

The KEYE call letters has a lot of good brand awareness in the research. I am sure Sinclair or whoever is now managing the station didn't even think about research but whatever. There goes awareness for some of the best call letters in the US

It's tricky because only KTBC had a prime VHF position on the Austin dial during the analog era. (The Johnson family owned KTBC when LBJ was a high-profile US Senator so that had a lot to do with said distinction.)

I think it was a mistake for KEYE to totally drop the CBS42 branding after CBS spun off the station (although the station was imaged as a semi-clone of KTVT). It should always have been CBS42 KEYE.

I think it was a mistake for KEYE to totally drop the CBS42 branding after CBS spun off the station (although the station was imaged as a semi-clone of KTVT). It should always have been CBS42 KEYE.

That is what I helped on when it was Viacom to CBS 42 KEYE

I found this one on YouTube.

That looks awesome! It really plays up the KEYE call letters. Seems to be an odd choice if they are, in fact, about to change to CBS Austin News and drop the KEYE branding.

So do I, and did they really have to sell off KEYE? At least Fox still has Fox 7.

Austin is actually a very strong secondary Cowboys market. Plus Fox had owned KTBC longer and was on the VHF band... KEYE was one of two CBS UHF O&Os in their portfolio**, the other one being "No News is Good News" WWJ-TV.

If I'm not mistaken, Fox has considered selling off or trading away KTBC but they are still in the fold.

**Emphasis on CBS O&Os, not CW O&Os, the majority of which were/are on the UHF dial.

Archived