10-day Forecasts: Too much?

east-tx-tv

Sorry, but I don't get the need for a 10-day forecast. By the time you are at the 9th or 10th day, you've likely forgotten what the forecast called for 9 or 10 days ago.

There are already 10-day forecasts in the DFW market on KXAS, WFAA, KTVT, and KXTX.

This is as dumb as 4am (or earlier?) starts for local morning news shows.

Sorry, but I don't get the need for a 10-day forecast. By the time you are at the 9th or 10th day, you've likely forgotten what the forecast called for 9 or 10 days ago.

There are already 10-day forecasts in the DFW market on KXAS, WFAA, KTVT, and KXTX.

This is as dumb as 4am (or earlier?) starts for local morning news shows.

Dumber than 4am. And I hate to break it to you, but most of NBC/Telemundo's O&O's have adopted the 10-day.

I said it in another thread, and I'll merely paraphrase, but days 1-3 are always a solid bet. Days 4 and 5 are usually on-par, and 6 and 7 are merely suggestions. Anything beyond that is an educated guess.

My market's top station does an extended forecast I like, though. After the Sunday night 7-day, the meteorologist gives an 8-14 day outlook, illustrating the general temperature pattern in relation to normal. He occasionally throws in the potential for precip, but never assigns anything to any day. It gives a nice, possibly even helpful hint of what's beyond the horizon.

CnDiyclUMAE5mK-.jpg

Dumber than 4am. And I hate to break it to you, but most of NBC/Telemundo's O&O's have adopted the 10-day.

I said it in another thread, and I'll merely paraphrase, but days 1-3 are always a solid bet. Days 4 and 5 are usually on-par, and 6 and 7 are merely suggestions. Anything beyond that is an educated guess.

My market's top station does an extended forecast I like, though. After the Sunday night 7-day, the meteorologist gives an 8-14 day outlook, illustrating the general temperature pattern in relation to normal. He occasionally throws in the potential for precip, but never assigns anything to any day. It gives a nice, possibly even helpful hint of what's beyond the horizon.

CnDiyclUMAE5mK-.jpg

You know that's rip and read from NWS but cleaned up right?

I'm confused,

Does the NWS offer a specific 10day forecast for most areas? Or is it more a trend/ model / long term projection?

Is the 10 day a TV only thing?

I think they(10 day) are completely stupid on the west coast, but I can see usefulness once patterns are able to "set-up" across the country in a predictable fashion.

But is my local WX Bunny making stuff up....or is she rippin and readin?

(let me try again)

Is the experienced TV met relying on a real nws prediction, or is he/she (trans?) just taking a long shot knowing that there is no accountability in WX anyway.

I'm confused,

Does the NWS offer a specific 10day forecast for most areas? Or is it more a trend/ model / long term projection?

I think they(10 day) are completely stupid on the west coast, but I can see usefulness once patterns are able to "set-up" across the country in a predictable fashion.

(let me try again)

Is the experienced TV met relying on a real nws prediction, or is he/she (trans?) just taking a long shot knowing that there is no accountability in WX anyway.

Some computer models go out that far, but I can't imagine that many, if any of these mets are doing the work to refine those numbers, when there are 7 more important days to plan for before that.

I know WISH does 8 day forecasts, but that's because mostly they're playing on the fact they're on channel 8.

Anything past 7 is gonna be inaccurate in my opinion, unless like said above, you've got a strong computer model from the NWS, or whatever IBM's supercomputer is called that I read about that they wanted to use for Weather.com (Watson, I think?).

I'm confused,

(let me try again)

The NWS products go out 7 days and then offer a 7-14 and 14-21 day outlook beyond that.

Some computer models go out that far, but I can't imagine that many, if any of these mets are doing the work to refine those numbers, when there are 7 more important days to plan for before that.

That makes sense to me ...thanks

A few months ago, KPTV started showing a 12 day trend forecast. They don't use it every day...only when there is a pretty sure trend. The chief meteorologist posted about the thought process behind it on his weather blog.

WXYZ does a "Second 7 on 7" to visualize the trend. But only for extreme heat or cold on the horizon to give an idea to viewers what seems to be coming soon.

Archived