NBC News & MSNBC Studio Musical Chairs

rkolsen

I figured I'd start a thread (hopefully this is ok) about the latest MSNBC studio musical chairs. With the addition of the fourth floor studio newsroom most of the shows now originate from the glass studio or the actual newsroom floor.

The only weekday shows originating from Studio 3A are Morning Joe and The Rachel Maddow Show.

Currently no shows appear to originate from studio 3K. Could they be remodeling it / getting it ready for the election? During the midterms they continued a vertical strip of monitors on one of the walls onto the floor for augmented reality segments.

Now most of their programming originates from the fourth floor: Early Today, First Look/Way Too Early (split headed between this and 3A), MSNBC Live, All In With Chris Hayes, and The Last Word with Lawerence O'Donnell.

• 4 weeks later...

I saw on Instagram that Your Business has decamped to studio 3B.

[MEDIA=instagram]BK9ex8_giM2[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=instagram]BK_Esmfgs6-[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=instagram]BK_SiqhApfn[/MEDIA]

• 1 month later...
The newsroom studio has been remodeled as the "Election Center". It looks totally different than it did before. I really wonder if they'll keep Nightly there after the election. The set isn't much different than 3B now.

Here's some more pictures from Dennis Degan. From some of the views it looks like there's still space above and below as to where the glass walls once stood.

Here's some more pictures from Dennis Degan. From some of the views it looks like there's still space above and below as to where the glass walls once stood.

Yeah, looking at the pictures I can tell that the black flooring is some of that temporary vinyl flooring similar to this stuff.

Those pictures illustrate just how tiny the studio is when the glass walls are up... No wonder MSNBC was glad to take over WNBC's old set in 3C. It's probably at least three times the size of the newsroom studio.

MSNBC's daytime news coverage returned to 3A, making full usage of the new monitor array to showcase 30 Rock.

I wonder if they will continue using this post election fallout? I bring it up because they're still using the desk.

Chris Hayes came from 3C.

• 3 weeks later...
And they were all back in 3C yesterday.

And now as of earlier this week, MSNBC's coverage is originating from the fourth floor newsroom set. Maybe 3C was just a temporary fit while they worked on this studio for the election?

All In is in 3C again.

Doesn't look like there have been any changes made.

Daysides based there. Maybe there's not enough people in the newsroom at that hour and they don't want an empty backdrop.

They changed one thing in the studio. Part of back wall now appears to have a bunch of those plexiglass stars on the wall the anchor looks at near where the stage manager or camera operator sits.

Daysides based there. Maybe there's not enough people in the newsroom at that hour and they don't want an empty backdrop.

They changed one thing in the studio. Part of back wall now appears to have a bunch of those plexiglass stars on the wall the anchor looks at near where the stage manager or camera operator sits.

Trouble editing that post but this is the back drop. This comes into view when a guest is sitting to the presenters right.

[MEDIA=imgur]2HMPFGo[/MEDIA]

• 3 months later...
Looks like Last Word and Chris Hayes are back in the 5th Floor Newsroom studio again... The Decision stars are gone.

This morning they added sign in the backdrop. Doesn't look so hot.

[MEDIA=imgur]EOYTMHm[/MEDIA]

• 5 weeks later...

I haven't noticed 3C has been used lately. Could it have been scrapped entirely? But knowing how NBC/MSNBC has been they could be doing something in there. They go through studios like crazy.

• 3 weeks later...
[GALLERY=media, 1004]IMG_0950 by freelanceproducer posted May 24, 2017 at 8:34 PM[/GALLERY]

Any clue what the divider wall is between the studio and the newsroom here? Could we possibly be seeing an upgrade?

Sometimes they have a curtain divider there at night. This is the first time I've seen it during the day and in red.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd share images Dennis Degan posted of studio 4E here rather than bumping an old thread.

[MEDIA=flickr]35420778065[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=flickr]35254459252[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=flickr]34579118524[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=flickr]35420775285[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=flickr]34611289923[/MEDIA]

NBC Studio 4E 2017-03

NBC Studio 4E 2017-01

NBC Studio 4E 2017-09

• 2 weeks later...

All in with Chris Hayes aired from studio 3A this Monday, (7/3/17)

[GALLERY=media, 1015]Screen Shot 2017-07-04 At 4.23.15 PM by LivefromNewYork posted Jul 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1014]Screen Shot 2017-07-04 At 4.22.16 PM by LivefromNewYork posted Jul 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 1013]Screen Shot 2017-07-04 At 4.21.12 PM by LivefromNewYork posted Jul 4, 2017 at 4:28 PM[/GALLERY]

Camera moments very similar to that used in Deadline Whitehouse. From what I could tell, there was no show of the newsroom. Not clear where TRMS came from, although Lawrence came from the 4th floor. Imo, tonight's show looked very impressive and a lot more clean than 4E.

Archived