WHDH, "Independent" edition

kdex86

Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but in the midst of WHDH losing its NBC affiliation, I'm curious to know, why is their morning news branded as "7 News Today in New England?"

1. The broadcast starts at 5 AM. The sun hasn't risen yet at 5 AM, so it's still "night", not "day".

2. The station isn't continuously available across the 6 New England states. While parts of Maine and Vermont can receive the station on cable, I doubt anybody in those 2 states can pull in its OTA signal. Plus, the station isn't carried on cable anywhere in RI or CT.

Wouldn't it make more sense to brand the morning newscasts as "7 News at 5AM/6AM/etc." to be consistent with its PM broadcasts?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Forgive me if I sound ignorant, but in the midst of WHDH losing its NBC affiliation, I'm curious to know, why is their morning news branded as "7 News Today in New England?"

1. The broadcast starts at 5 AM. The sun hasn't risen yet at 5 AM, so it's still "night", not "day".

2. The station isn't continuously available across the 6 New England states. While parts of Maine and Vermont can receive the station on cable, I doubt anybody in those 2 states can pull in its OTA signal. Plus, the station isn't carried on cable anywhere in RI or CT.

Wouldn't it make more sense to brand the morning newscasts as "7 News at 5AM/6AM/etc." to be consistent with its PM broadcasts?

WHDH's sister station in Miami, WSVN has their morning newscasts are branded "Today in Florida" and they've been a FOX affiliate since 1989. WTVJ, the NBC O&O brands their morning news at "NBC 6 South Florida Today at x AM", so I don't foresee any changes being made by WHDH.

Um, once it's past midnight it's daytime - regardless of sun position.

In most places in December the sun doesn't rise completely until 8 am. Imagine that.

Thanks for watching 7 News Today in New England at 6 am, good night!

WHDH's sister station in Miami, WSVN has their morning newscasts are branded "Today in Florida" and they've been a FOX affiliate since 1989. WTVJ, the NBC O&O brands their morning news at "NBC 6 South Florida Today at x AM", so I don't foresee any changes being made by WHDH.

why hasn't WSVN renamed their morning show good day florida?

why hasn't WSVN renamed their morning show good day florida?

WSVN has been Today in Florida since the Early 80s I believe when it started as just a half-hour at 6:30am. Yes, there was a time of confusion around here when WTVJ's used to be Today in SOUTH Florida.

Despite no longer having the NBC affiliation, WSVN rather continues to have a longtime namesake as Today in Florida and continues to be the most-watched morning newscast in all of South Florida (Source: Promo with Nielsen HH in A25-54 from 5:00-10:00am)

Don't expect WHDH to change that name anytime soon.

Sorry for the double post.

The responses I've gotten so far still doesn't answer why the morning news is branded as "Today in New England"...

Why?

Because Boston (and Massachusetts, in general) is the center of New England.

This is why.

Same with "Good Morning" (ABC)

Example: WKRC 12 - CBS, uses "Good Morning Cincinnati" because it dates back to its ABC days. Similarly enough, WCPO 9, the acutal ABC affiliate now, uses "Good Morning Tri-State."

Also with "Good Day" (FOX)

Example: While "Good Day Columbus" is used on WTTE 28 - FOX, its also used by their sister station WSYX 6 - ABC.

"Good Day" is mainly a Fox O&O branding.

And even then, it's not uniformly used by all Fox O&Os. WAGA has been "Good Day Atlanta" since 1992, two years before the Fox affiliation switch.

WJW used the "Good Day Cleveland" banner from 1994 to 1995 (the 6am hour retained the "NewsCenter8 This Morning" title), then scrapped it altogether for "ei8ht IS NEWS In The Morning," now "Fox 8 News In The Morning" ... but the newscasts are divided and sometimes co-branded between 4, 4:30, 5, 5:30, 6-8, 8 and 9.

WSB's morning show when they were NBC was "Today In Georgia"; it ruled 9:00 am here for years...that is, until "Donahue" came along over on WAGA, and "TIG" moved to another timeslot to get away from him before Channel 2 finally gave up on it in the late '70s.

1980 and the big WSB/WXIA network switch saw "Good Morning Atlanta/Georgia" and "Today with Hal (Suit) and Guy (Sharpe, who just joined from WAGA)" respectively. "Today In Georgia" is still used today...by WALB in Albany.

(Why KTUU's morning news is "Channel 2 News Morning Edition" (does NPR even own the "Morning Edition" trademark?) and not "Today in Alaska", I don't know)

[quote name='WSVNFan']@kdex86 I hope you realize the examples today that tell you why WSVN and WHDH will not change its morning news names. They'll always have the "Today" part in their names for as long as they want to. End of story.[/QUOTE] Exactly. To compare to the Triangle, unless legally forced to rebrand the newscasts, it would be like WRAL becoming "NBC 5". Don't mess with heritage brandings, especially in WSVN's case with how great their product is.

Exactly. To compare to the Triangle, unless legally forced to rebrand the newscasts, it would be like WRAL becoming "NBC 5". Don't mess with heritage brandings, especially in WSVN's case with how great their product is.

And I get to live out WSVN's product every day. I love it.

WSVN has been Today in Florida since the Early 80s I believe when it started as just a half-hour at 6:30am. Yes, there was a time of confusion around here when WTVJ's used to be Today in SOUTH Florida.

Despite no longer having the NBC affiliation, WSVN rather continues to have a longtime namesake as Today in Florida and continues to be the most-watched morning newscast in all of South Florida (Source: Promo with Nielsen HH in A25-54 from 5:00-10:00am)

Don't expect WHDH to change that name anytime soon.

This is true. After WSVN lost its NBC affiliation and NBC bought WTVJ from CBS, WSVN experimented with a 6-9am morning newscast and has been number one since. Why change something that isn't broken? WHDH will be "Today in New England" as long as Edmund Ansin is the owner.

Archived