WHDH, "Independent" edition

kdex86

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WHDH published a new promo for its expanded news.

http://bcove.me/50kjc5dg

You can see the forced smiles. "We're on (looks down and sighs, smiles) when it's convenient for you!."

I don't remember the anchors names but they said they weren't watering down the news. I gotta wonder how many times a package will air throughout the morning and evening newscasts and how many viewers will watch the entire thing? If they see that what aired at 9PM will likely re-air at 10 and 11 with little to no information there's no incentive to watch.

Don't know what's the bigger overkill:

-3-1/2 hours of news in the early evenings

-2 1/2 hours of news in the evenings

-Two double runs of Family Feud a day, or

-Two old-ass court shows in the mornings.

Or that everything in this schedule is a roadkill?

Yeah, that's it. This will not be pleasant at all.

That is just painful to read.

Understatement of the week.

WHDH has posted its program schedule for January:

7news_schedule.jpg

Hello, KRON East...

Give it a few years and a few rounds of budget cuts and WHDH will be running in-house-produced advertorials in the ad breaks of newscasts too.

Hello, KRON East...

Give it a few years and a few rounds of budget cuts and WHDH will be running in-house-produced advertorials in the ad breaks of newscasts too.

KRON had a better syndicated bench going in and spent on programming going forward at first. This is adding nothing to nothing especially given the superfluous sister station/CW pass through that's eating up resources.

This is more akin to WBIN only with a lot more news and worse non-Family Feud inventory.

So I tuned into Ch. 7 this morning at 8 AM - same graphics, same morning theme (which is much more pleasant than the evening news theme). Oddly enough the graphics do look a bit like the Today show graphics, but nothing different.

Only time will tell if the station is successful in the ratings.

Hello, KRON East...

WFXT's incompetence will be what keeps WHDH competitive. This won't be an exact redo of KRON.

That being said, I have no idea why they didn't just cannibalize WLVI's syndicated programming inventory... unless contractual obligations for those shows (especially the Maury/Jerry/Wilkos block; even though those are NBC-produced, I doubt NBC Boston would poach those shows) prevented a mid-season move.

Hell, throw in movies at 8pm! FFS.

Poor WHDH. That is a terrible schedule to have. I wouldn't watch ANYTHING except 7News. I think they will stay at 2nd place because they are a well-established news station, and a very good one. Should have gotten updated graphics and music like WSVN did in 2015 (almost said "last year"!). I am getting kind of tired of them.

Right now, WHDH's best assets are the CW and the freedom to do as much severe weather coverage as it wants without having to worry about angering a network. Unfortunately, the CW is on WHDH's sister station, not WHDH itself, and severe weather coverage depends on...well, the weather.

It'll be very interesting to see where things stand in September, especially if Ansin can't dump WLVI in the spectrum auction or CBS decides it's not comfortable leaving the CW affiliation with a duopoly operation that's collapsing due to decreasing revenue.

That being said, I have no idea why they didn't just cannibalize WLVI's syndicated programming inventory... unless contractual obligations for those shows (especially the Maury/Jerry/Wilkos block; even though those are NBC-produced, I doubt NBC Boston would poach those shows) prevented a mid-season move.

Probably the last thing they want to do; you decide to do that, there goes any hope of keeping ratings because of a downmarket audience for those shows. The Entertainment Studios court shows and The Doctors have zero buzz, but at least they come with respected advertisers.

Hell, throw in movies at 8pm! FFS.

They already have a 24/7 network of bad movies on 7.2 ("This" has just become a very low priority since Tribune's found great success with Antenna TV, which they should've probably snapped up from WBIN for easy filler). In 2016 running edited-to-death films just isn't viable in any way. If WGN isn't doing it as an indie, why should they even bother?

Probably the last thing they want to do; you decide to do that, there goes any hope of keeping ratings because of a downmarket audience for those shows. The Entertainment Studios court shows and The Doctors have zero buzz, but at least they come with respected advertisers.

Celebrity Name Game is not going to make it into next year. That, along with the quadruple run of Family Feud, is the giant red flag.

Look, we know that Sunbeam isn't going to splurge on syndicated programming. But WHDH needs to pick up shows of some sort. If they could pick up a newsmagazine strip or two for the 8pm hour (and double run at 1am) that would be passable.

Stanley Spudowski isn't going to walk into their main studio to host a kids show.

Extra seems like another show that the peacock may try and pluck away from WHDH.

Ansin should take a page from KUSI's playbook and apply that model if he wants to be a successful independent. He could start by having increased High School sports coverage...

It takes time to build a syndicated programming slate, especially if certain properties are with other stations in the market. To cite but one example, Inside Edition will likely be up for grabs soon, as it breaks up WCVB's late afternoon-early evening news block. Ultimately, though, there's only so much syndicated fare out there.

Ultimately, though, there's only so much syndicated fare out there.

There is a lot of stuff coming out of Netflix , Amazon etc...

Some of those series can be shot out into regular syndication by now... can't they?

Archived