New Fox Sports graphics (2017 Edition?)

Viper550

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How would FOX lay out the NFL graphics out for MLB? Would they do a bottom bar (ala Sportsnet) or would they stack them in a corner?

If Fox does the bottom bar, everyone else will probably follow. Anybody remember how from 2003-2008 or so, everyone had a top bar because Fox did? Then in 2009, Fox went back to the FoxBox in the corner, and everyone else followed. Now everybody has a corner box (in varying corners).

I personally don't like SportsNet's design. The bottom bar might be ok, but their particular style is a bit hard to follow, especially the balls/strikes area. I might get used to it if I saw more than two Jays games a year, though.

If Fox does the bottom bar, everyone else will probably follow. Anybody remember how from 2003-2008 or so, everyone had a top bar because Fox did? Then in 2009, Fox went back to the FoxBox in the corner, and everyone else followed. Now everybody has a corner box (in varying corners).

I personally don't like SportsNet's design. The bottom bar might be ok, but their particular style is a bit hard to follow, especially the balls/strikes area. I might get used to it if I saw more than two Jays games a year, though.

For NHL, it moves to the top and for Toronto Raptors games, it moves back to the bottom. For this current look, they've kept it consistent where balls/strikes/outs are since 2011 (they debuted the basic design and logo in 2011 - initially as a grey/metal bar, morphed to a black design and evolved to the current blue look once they got the NHL contract in 2014).

For Tennis and Soccer, they've shrunk the bar and stuck in a corner.

Though one other thing Sportsnet likes with their scoreboards (ever since the "second generation" of their current branding, where they started working in the "black design" scoreboard they presumably got extra time to work on during the NHL lockout) is actually laying them all out like the ones typically used for association football, with both teams in opposing directions and the numbers in the middle. I'm shocked no one else does that outside of soccer.

Speaking of soccer, if you want flat graphics done right, I still think the Premier League and La Liga have aced it. There's a reason why some avid fans are a bit mad that NBC uses its normal graphics rather than the world feed style (too much gloss/metallic stuff). Even the BBC's new sports graphics have a similar aesthetic, yet still manage to have a bit more visual variety than Fox

[MEDIA=twitter]902224454104866816[/MEDIA]

Though one other thing Sportsnet likes with their scoreboards (ever since the "second generation" of their current branding, where they started working in the "black design" scoreboard they presumably got extra time to work on during the NHL lockout) is actually laying them all out like the ones typically used for association football, with both teams in opposing directions and the numbers in the middle. I'm shocked no one else does that outside of soccer.

Speaking of soccer, if you want flat graphics done right, I still think the Premier League and La Liga have aced it. There's a reason why some avid fans are a bit mad that NBC uses its normal graphics rather than the world feed style (too much gloss/metallic stuff). Even the BBC's new sports graphics have a similar aesthetic, yet still manage to have a bit more visual variety than Fox

[MEDIA=twitter]902224454104866816[/MEDIA]

Tim and Sid - a daily talk/news show on Sportsnet - uses a flat version of the current generation of graphics (gen 3.5)?

Last year at the NHL ASG, thought I may, MAY have seen a graphic or two in a similar style.

But I'm doubtful there are gonna be any major changes to the look this NHL season.

The Fox Sports Australia graphics are awesome! Saw them on an Aussie Rules game presentation once. Would love to see someone try that in North America!

The new NHL graphics are here. It's... basically NBCSN. Except with the full team names like the NFL scoreboard, and still a persistent stats line (which goes away if there's a power play)

[MEDIA=twitter]911412866091225088[/MEDIA]

Once again, yawn. I was expecting something like the one they used with the 2010-2014 graphics, or just the previous layout, but this is sad. Heck, this layout could've worked better for NFL if they just put the down count on a tab like the power play.

How would FOX lay out the NFL graphics out for MLB? Would they do a bottom bar (ala Sportsnet) or would they stack them in a corner?

I hope MLB will return to a top-screen bar (I missed it a lot, especially the one used 2004-2007).

That being said, I also hope FOX will synchronize its graphics update for all of its properties, as it's been done only a few times. In 2004, FOX updated the layout of the score bar for its NFL coverage (team logos looking more 3D, dot-matrix fonts added during touchdowns, field goals, etc.) and then implemented the same design on MLB at the start of its coverage of that year's postseason. Then in 2012, the score bug on NFL telecasts was changed to a more traditional layout. And MLB started using it at the start of the 2012 NLCS.

So, I don't know if it's my eyes or not, but the font on the MLB FOX box looks larger. Also, I really hope they don't start leaving up that K-zone box over home plate during the whole game like ESPN does.

One of the issues I have with the new FOX gfx is the font choice. With a few tweaks, it could be a really good package.

It'd be interesting if Fox went with a bottom bar for baseball, given Sportsnet is pretty much the only one left who does.

I’ve been observing the ticker lately during the MLB broadcasts and honestly, they could easily make it into the score box if they wanted to. I think that would probably be the best route to go for MLB seeing as the box looks too clunky on screen.

Basically feels like a black version of what ESPN is featuring. Very clean and elegant. Fox has followed ESPN in overlaying a strike zone over live action.

Edit: pitch speed is shown next to the pitch location over the zone. Reminds me of a video game.

5goYEFFr.jpg

Basically feels like a black version of what ESPN is featuring. Very clean and elegant. Fox has followed ESPN in overlaying a strike zone over live action.

Edit: pitch speed is shown next to the pitch location over the zone. Reminds me of a video game.

I certainly also like when the strike zone isn't on the screen, the pitch speed only covers up the pitch count instead of that whole bar.

Archived