Creative usage of LCD screens in news sets

Journalist

We all know LCD screens and arrays are a big trend in news sets nowadays, but it seems they're not being used to their full potential...

Yesterday, Toronto's CTV affiliate CFTO began experimenting with a few things. One of those things was using their chopper to showcase a live skyline of the city of interest on their mega LCD screen, replacing a static city background or animated graphic.

17fde27659c97ac9490931b33f42a9d3.gif

This got me wondering... are there any other stations who want to expand beyond typical limits for an LCD screen or array? Of course there's WHDH and WSVN who blow it out of the water, but there's one station I know, Southern California's KCBS, who regularly features daily temps of a specific city and social media handles on their wide LCD array.

ncs_kcbs-2016-bdi_001.JPG

Is there other stations you might know that takes advantage of their LCD array or screen to showcase a different background of sorts?

There was one international channel that was mentioned over on TVForum that had a large real life augmented reality RP screen. The screen was pretty cool as the graphics on it moved as the camera moved. So depending on the camera angle you would see the "background" of the wall to the floating graphic or video in front of it.

That moving backdrop looks horribly distracting. I think a city backdrop is nice, but isn't the whole point supposed to simulate being in front of a window?

One of my favorites is TF1. The set has three curved RP walls that show a fictionalized panorama of Paris with half mirror screens in between each one to obscure the cameras.

ncs_tf1_01.JPG

We all know LCD screens and arrays are a big trend in news sets nowadays, but it seems they're not being used to their full potential...

Yesterday, Toronto's CTV affiliate CFTO began experimenting with a few things. One of those things was using their chopper to showcase a live skyline of the city of interest on their mega LCD screen, replacing a static city background or animated graphic.

17fde27659c97ac9490931b33f42a9d3.gif

This got me wondering... are there any other stations who want to expand beyond typical limits for an LCD screen or array? Of course there's WHDH and WSVN who blow it out of the water, but there's one station I know, Southern California's KCBS, who regularly features daily temps of a specific city and social media handles on their wide LCD array.

ncs_kcbs-2016-bdi_001.JPG

Is there other stations you might know that takes advantage of their LCD array or screen to showcase a different background of sorts?

That brings back memories when KCBS and KCAL used to use chopper b-roll as their backdrop. Took me a while to dig thru this on YouTube but the monitor was one of the examples. https://youtu.be/

Another shot they used to use was a 360

Flyover of One and Two California Plaza, now that was a bit distracting.

That moving backdrop looks horribly distracting. I think a city backdrop is nice, but isn't the whole point supposed to simulate being in front of a window?

One of my favorites is TF1. The set has three curved RP walls that show a fictionalized panorama of Paris with half mirror screens in between each one to obscure the cameras.

ncs_tf1_01.JPG

Screens aside, the reflections of those light beams are crazy strong.

My eyes are telling me that's set virtual but reality is telling me otherwise.

That WFTV set is crazy nice. Very well designed and executed.

WPVI uses different camera setups for their 4pm and 10pm newscasts (I resist the temptation to call them "shows"). Home base is in a different area of the studio, which allows them to use the main LED display for top stories and weather hits. They also use it to cue up OTS graphics for the main newscasts.

KYW has a seamless rear projection. That's okay because they add virtual seams to their backdrop. Dead f***ing serious. And this is only on the daytime newscasts - evening newscasts don't have the virtual seams. KYW, just... KYW, man.

Archived