Station editorials

LoadStar

My understanding is that Hearst is pushing its stations to do editorials.

How many stations are out there that do daily editorials? WISC in Madison comes to mind... but I can't think of anyone else (unless you count Mark Hyman--his screeds are daily, right?). Are the Raycom editorials daily or weekly?

Hyman's editorials are twice-weekly. The local Sinclair station also does periodic editorials in-house under the "Real Deal" moniker done by veteran anchor Gregg Lagerquist. They also experimented a few years ago with having the GM do them, but it didn't last long. Hearst locally did them for a couple of years but discontinued them. Gannett/Tegna got of the editorial business locally when the Editorial Director retired.

The best part of the editorial is the" Editorial Reply"...

The reply was usually buried in the late, late movie....whereas the actual station editorial was in the last block of the evening news.

In this vintage "lost footage" we see what WAS an average adorable little child who has been freshly indoctrinated into an early mid 20th century global warming cult.

Note that the child got a cool "production zoom"!

Can you see Perry Shook turning over 2/12 minutes of airtime to an "opposing view"???

The reply was usually buried in the late, late movie....whereas the actual station editorial was in the last block of the evening news.

In this vintage "lost footage" we see what WAS an average adorable little child who has been freshly indoctrinated into an early mid 20th century global warming cult.

Note that the child got a cool "production zoom"!

Can you see Perry Shook turning over 2/12 minutes of airtime to an "opposing view"???

I've never seen a reply locally. Your right that stations would never give up air time. I'm sure they're pissed they have to air EEO reports as it is.

My understanding is that Hearst is pushing its stations to do editorials.

Do either Hearst or Raycom require the editorials to lean in a certain direction (liberal or conservative) or take certain positions on particular issues, or is it more "Just have editorials"?

Here's a WCSH editorial by the late Editorial Director Fred Nutter (who was not replaced when he retired). Back in the day they actually aired editorial replies in the last block of the 6PM newscast, which is also when the editorials themselves aired.

Do either Hearst or Raycom require the editorials to lean in a certain direction (liberal or conservative) or take certain positions on particular issues, or is it more "Just have editorials"?

My guess is no. Seems like the Raycom editorials, at the very least, are about pretty noncontroversial (or at least not overly left-or-right) subjects.

http://www.wtvm.com/category/7143/wtvm-editorials

"Racist rants are never OK" - ya think?

http://www.wdam.com/category/9130/viewpoints

"Don't drink and drive drunk, buzzed" - okay, I won't!

I haven't seen most of the Raycom editorials...so maybe some of the GMs are willing to wade into more controversial territory...but a lot of the ones I've seen, even when they do touch on something that may be controversial are full of platitudes.

Did GCL think that bringing in a cavalcade of retired reporters (some of them pretty small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, no disrespect intended -- but Cynthia Tinsley is no Monica) to give editorials was going to boost the ratings?

What's next, a 9/11 Truther as main an---oh wait.

Archived