Station editorials

LoadStar

I just finished watching the news on WISN, and they are now running a station editorial by station president and general manager, Jan Wade. WISN has shown what they labeled an editorial a couple of times in the past, but they really ended up being just a promo for a school supply drive the station was doing. This is the first time in a *long* time that this or any other station I watch has done an actual editorial.

Which leads me to wonder: are there stations out there that still regularly do station editorials? Or is the editorial I saw a rare anachronism, something stations simply don't do anymore?

WBAL still regularly does them with about two topics on a weekend. About once a month or less one is broadcast focusing on a major community event (that's newsworthy in its own right) they participated in.

Here's a TVNewsCheck article from 2013 that discusses editorials.

WPLG ran one recently with their president Bert Medina about the I-95 Express Lanes and why they need to go. Down in South Florida I think they are the only station regularly doing them.

I also know that WTOC still does a regular editorial as well as a couple of other stations in the south.

WPLG is the only one in Miami that does this.

And speaking of Miami...it was where the late Ralph Renick started the nightly editorials on WTVJ in the 1950's.

Over in New Orleans, the late Phil Johnson did the same thing on WWL for dozens of years well into the mid-'90s; a few of them are on YouTube.

WGCL runs editorials from several different retired Atlanta reporters during their 5pm newscast.

Not no more according to Newsblues.com and AJC.com

After 18 months, Meredith's last-place WGCL-46-CBS in Atlanta (Market #10) has dropped its daily "Just a Minute" commentaries.

"We found in today's politically charged environment some people simply were not open to a different viewpoint," said General Manager Mark Pimental. The commentaries will continue to be posted online.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2017/02/20/cbs46-moves-just-a-minute-commentaries-online-only/

Not no more according to Newsblues.com and AJC.com

After 18 months, Meredith's last-place WGCL-46-CBS in Atlanta (Market #10) has dropped its daily "Just a Minute" commentaries.

"We found in today's politically charged environment some people simply were not open to a different viewpoint," said General Manager Mark Pimental. The commentaries will continue to be posted online.

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2017/02/20/cbs46-moves-just-a-minute-commentaries-online-only/

Moved to online where nobody will watch it because WGCL is already an embarassment.

KGTV used to run them from 94-2003 and on and off (03-07) until the union strikes and Scripps takeover

Yeah, I remember seeing those often in the late 90s. It was a pretty cool segment to hear the GM addressing audience concerns in a variety of areas like network programming and newscast stories. Like I remember the current GM at the time, Darrell Brown addressing ABC's Wednesday night programming brand campaign (D-Day) and how people complained the use of teasers throughout the newscast.

Yeah, I remember seeing those often in the late 90s. It was a pretty cool segment to hear the GM addressing audience concerns in a variety of areas like network programming and newscast stories. Like I remember the current GM at the time, Darrell Brown addressing ABC's Wednesday night programming brand campaign (D-Day) and how people complained the use of teasers throughout the newscast.

KGTV actually ran editorials in the 70's and 80's with then GM Clayton Brace.

Archived