WESH new set?

rpfl89

Hopefully they are getting something new. KCRA has had that same set for ten years.... it's starting to look dated & the lighting has looked awful lately. I'd like to see WESH integrate the newsroom behind the set back into the studio again.

WESH's set was really getting old to me. They've had it since going HD, a decade ago. While everyone else had at least one new set (WKMG and WOFL had like 2 or 3 since then and even News 13 has had a new set since then), WESH was stuck in its going-HD route with nothing tweaked or anything.

It would be nice for WESH to go the KCRA way or even the WTAE way. Whatever it is, I hope its a 200% upgrade for WESH. It was badly needed.

• 1 month later...

The set looks good. I wonder how it will appear on air. I am a bit worried at how overboard they went with some of the diagrid elements. Something's like the background light box are probably changeable but those big picture frame pieces may take some time.

Edit: Just scrubbed through the noon newscast and it looked good. The main 9x1 monitor wall seemed to feature a prerecorded scene with the "x" of the diagrid intersection over it. I don't know why or how to explain it but have a feeling that this type of set would work well for Florida - but not somewhere else.

Of course I have to leave vacation, the day the new set debuted but this is not the first time I got disappointed catching something new after leaving from vacation (2013, days after leaving, the current graphics debuted. Missed that too. The old graphics was there when I left the day of.)

Difficult editing. Sometimes Chrome on iPad is trickier.

Here's a video from Instagram showing the full studio.

[MEDIA=instagram]BUKXH2Agk-t[/MEDIA]

Also, looking at the video it appears the diagrid only appears behind the big monitor wall. The rest of the backlit led panels appear to be squares - (speculation new package?)

After looking through their newscast on NewsON it looks like the 9x1 was just used to playout the city scape. It didn't appear to be used for graphics or tosses.
Well, it is the first day and they probably didn't want a big meltdown. Give them a week or so. I watched on NewsON as well and I noticed they played the old 6pm open. I'm interested in seeing what music they use for 6 and the late shows. They used the same 2013 cut for Noon, 4, and 5. I would like them to use the new Evening News 2016 disc.

Great set! Watched the open of WESH 2 News At 5 tonight and heard a version of the Hearst music I never heard before. Has WESH always had that version? I believe the music used for Sunrise is the normal 2012 version right?

Great set! Watched the open of WESH 2 News At 5 tonight and heard a version of the Hearst music I never heard before. Has WESH always had that version? I believe the music used for Sunrise is the normal 2012 version right?

The new 5pm Theme is from the Early Evening 2013 disc. They just started using it this week. The theme used for the Morning Open, and just the open, is from a 2015 Morning News Disc. The cut used during the opening tease is from 2012. During the newscast, they still use the original theme for most teases. I wish they would have used the amazing 2016 Evening updates which alot of stations have quickly picked up. They sound so good!

This is fantastic!

Very sleek, versatile and well-designed.

One of the best sets of the year for sure.

Oh, for sure. The set is absolutely beautiful. I wish some of the printed "square" backgrounds weren't purple looking. And I don't really care for the backgrounds in the weather center. Too dark. And what are they supposed to be anyway?

It's used on WBAL. I just can't remember the newscast.

Archived