KTBY turns to "citizen journalism"

MidwestTV

There are a few recent videos of complete KYUR/KTBY broadcasts on YouTube, and they don't hold a candle to KTVA or KTUU in terms of overall presentation, probably due to...a lack of money to adequately compete. But I think Mr. Jones is being sensationalist by proclaiming that this is the beginning of the end of "real" broadcast journalism. This is simply a case of an also-ran throwing in the towel without actually, well, throwing in the towel and completely killing off news.

There are a few recent videos of complete KYUR/KTBY broadcasts on YouTube, and they don't hold a candle to KTVA or KTUU in terms of overall presentation, probably due to...a lack of money to adequately compete. But I think Mr. Jones is being sensationalist by proclaiming that this is the beginning of the end of "real" broadcast journalism. This is simply a case of an also-ran throwing in the towel without actually, well, throwing in the towel and completely killing off news.

News is almost killed off on KYUR/KTBY. They only show a 9pm and a 10pm newscast and everything about it looks like crap.

I wouldn't say he's being too sensationalist here. If this works at all and the ratings go up even a half point, Fresco will be running to every news director and general manager in the country with literature saying "if it worked in Alaska it will work for YOU!" with some charts about how much money was saved. I don't think we're going to see any big name major market stations jumping in and laying off all their photogs, but they'll dip their toes in the water.

I wouldn't say he's being too sensationalist here. If this works at all and the ratings go up even a half point, Fresco will be running to every news director and general manager in the country with literature saying "if it worked in Alaska it will work for YOU!" with some charts about how much money was saved. I don't think we're going to see any big name major market stations jumping in and laying off all their photogs, but they'll dip their toes in the water.

And if nothing else, it is a way for them to keep producing news. The other part about this that Mr. Jones thinks this is a way to save some cash to cover a large coverage area. Unlike KTUU or KTVA who has the funds to be able to really cover the state, they are in a situation where they are really 3rd in a 2 station market. For them to start going to this is a way for them to try and still cover the stories.

Those stations feel like Sinclair/Nexstar (maybe even Heartland) bait, yet I'm quite shocked that no one's tried to buy them and give them a good injection of capital...

How much would the ABC Alaska System go for and FOX 4. Remember that the system covers the entire state. I doubt Sinclar/Nexstar or Heartland really wants to put money into what is probably a losing proposition

Those stations feel like Sinclair/Nexstar (maybe even Heartland) bait, yet I'm quite shocked that no one's tried to buy them and give them a good injection of capital...

KTBY is the type of station that would actually benefit from Sinclair or Nexstar ownership.

Half a point seems a bit generous. What are they going to do if they don't get the swarming citizen participation that they're anticipating? I'd also hope that stations elsewhere aren't so stupid as to think it "successfully" working in Alaska means it's suddenly a good business model.

I don't think it's too different from what most stations do now. The difference is we don't pay people for their videos, or at least we try to avoid it if possible. As mentioned above, just because a station has signed people up to use this app, doesn't mean people are going to take time out of their day to fulfill a request.

I don't think it's too different from what most stations do now. The difference is we don't pay people for their videos, or at least we try to avoid it if possible. As mentioned above, just because a station has signed people up to use this app, doesn't mean people are going to take time out of their day to fulfill a request.

Fresco was already being beta tested by FOX O&O's so that ship has sailed.

You guys pay...you just don't tell too many people or they may drain the stringer budget.

This is a no brainer for Alaska. All the stations already have stringers all over the state, but this gets them into ALL the villages, and it pays!

Trust me....

In Barrow...or Nome everybody is a stringer at 50$ a pop....I mean everybody.

And with bootleg booze going for $400 a 1/5th....there is tons of competition.

All you are really doing is retraining others to shoot news. You can pay Nanuk 50$ to cover that village school board meeting...or the Polar Bear invasion at the landfill. It's gonna cost you at least $500 to fly Reporter Muffy and AVboy Waldo to cover the same event.

This is perfect for Alaska.

All those drunken stringers fighting for scraps in the middle of the tundra, overselling and lying to young ignorant producers,,,even fabricating stories or re-using video from another event ... "no one will ever notice"...

You think managing deadlines with stinky staff shooters and uptight MMJ's is fun in -20 degrees????

Try managing a bunch of wild drunks and getting them to understand your "ethics", deadlines (lol) or needs.

Rob my friend...

This should be fun to watch,,,first round is on me.

I heard rumors of GCI buying KTBY or entering into an SSA with KTVA. I guess that never came to pass.

I agree that I don't think this is necessarily that big of a deal. Yes, I'm sure they'll try and shop this to other stations elsewhere, but for a market that's geographically gigantic with leading stations that have planes and helicopters (plural!) to cover stories, this is probably one of the few things that an independent bottom feeder station can do short of putting a ton of MMJs in every little tiny town all over the state.

citizen journalism? Sounds like something from one of those vigilante "truther" sites like InfoWars or Breitbart would make up. Oh boy, get Ben Swann, it's time for a #PizzaGate party in Alaska.

Citizen journalism was a thing since the late 90's...

Citizen journalism was a thing since the late 90's...

Or more specifically, 1991 (when that amateur camcorder video of Rodney King getting beaten by the LAPD was first aired on KTLA...and later the entire world).

Or more specifically, 1991 (when that amateur camcorder video of Rodney King getting beaten by the LAPD was first aired on KTLA...and later the entire world).

There was this guy in 1963 that shot a few feet of super 8 film.....

There was this guy in 1963 that shot a few feet of super 8 film.....

Yeah, but although "Life" magazine originally bought the rights to Abraham Zapruder's Kennedy assassination film, it wouldn't be broadcast for the very first time until 1975!

• 3 months later...

An update on the Fresco app: it's not doing well.

Fox TV signed a deal with them, and perhaps some other station groups (?), but they're running into some pesky little problems, like, you know, paying their own staff:

https://theoutline.com/post/2067/when-the-money-runs-out

Fresco embodied the modern tech startup in many ways. Like the CEO, the staff was young; most were in their late teens or early 20s. The leadership was overwhelmingly male: Just one of the company’s five current executives is a woman. All communication was done over Slack. At one point, one executive had a personal fridge full of Soylent.

Despite seeming like a parody of startup culture at times, Fresco had all the ingredients for success, not the least of which was a product that promised to cut costs for businesses, generate revenue for investors, and foster community among its users.

All this coincided with Fresco’s brewing financial difficulties, and the company missed its first payroll cycle in September 2016. Meyer said in an interview that this particular missed cycle stemmed from an investor backing out at the last minute. “We, like every startup, have hit issues as it relates to fundraising,” he said.

Anyone remember NBC's Stringwire? It failed too. MSNBC used it during the Ferguson protests but hasn't been used since - nor been updated since July 3, 2015. So this isn't that surprising.

stringr.com is also on the rocks.

Same story.

Archived