New KWGN Set

Chase29

Boy, I can't wait for this to last a year then have it tossed when Sinclair completely folds the KWGN operation into KDVR!

That said, it is a beautiful set--but I doubt it'll last that long given...you know, things.

Lol some people voice displeasure with how underwhelming the WGN set is, while I am in love with it. Now, everyone loves this set yet I think it's way too much for a news studio.

One of those eye of the beholder things I guess.

Lol some people voice displeasure with how underwhelming the WGN set is, while I am in love with it. Now, everyone loves this set yet I think it's way too much for a news studio.

One of those eye of the beholder things I guess.

I like the Denver set, but I definitely don't quite get the fawning over it. Best in the market, for sure, while WGN's is not, but that's not hard in Denver. The two sets just prove that one size can't and shouldn't fit all.

I like the Denver set, but I definitely don't quite get the fawning over it. Best in the market, for sure, while WGN's is not, but that's not hard in Denver. The two sets just prove that one size can't and shouldn't fit all.

I don't know if anyone's saying one size fits all or that WGN should have built this set. But I think what makes this set really stand out upon first glance is how much color it has and how much warmer it is than WGN's or many of the recent new sets we've seen in top 25 markets. Everyone is building the same thin bezel monitor walls with backlit LED walls and the same glass desk, so sets like WGN and KWGN really pop seeing as they are trying to do something different with emulating local scenic design. I do think though that BDI was more successful pulling off the mountain feel in KWGN's set than they were trying to emulate a Chicago loft in WGN's. If WGN's set had a beat up old factory wood floor like in those concept drawings, as well as more shine and depth to the metal trussing and fake brick and perhaps a rethink of the home base area, it would "pop" as well as KWGN's set. But again, it shouldn't really be a direct comparison. One station's needs in a set are different from another, especially market to market.

What also makes this really "pop" is that this is such a surprise to see Tribune finally give KWGN something nice after decimating the entire station, news product, and brand in 2008. Here's a reminder of the set they just got off of. Plenty of small markets have things much nicer than this:

Here are some more, since the forum software won't allow them all to be posted in one message:

7446118072_1bd4f54290_c.jpg

7446117416_1842686cb5_c.jpg

7446117034_31bc6cbdfd_c.jpg

7446116868_ceb29329e6_c.jpg

Video:

With that said, I don't know if I am quite yet willing to say this is the best set in the market. I do like the KUSA set, though I think I'm in the minority on here with that one. The graphics are still a downgrade from the green look before, and if they were going to go to the trouble of bringing Ernie back to town, they should have gone all the way and brought back the 80s sunburst logo too. But still, overall, it's amazing to see them actually put some effort into KWGN again!

Archived