WDSU's New Set

TennTV1983

I don't know how any of us missed this, but WDSU in New Orleans debuted a brand new news set yesterday.

http://www.wdsu.com/article/it-s-finally-here-wdsu-debuts-new-set/9907277

Devlin built this one, and has that whole diagrid thing going on (including the main anchor desk), but I feel like it's missing some flair to it, and could've used more Nawlins-style elements (maybe that's just me).

EDIT 1: Nevermind. I can see elements of the city in that set.

EDIT 2: The new set was built in a separate studio from where their now previous set was located.

Per Scott Walker, this was their old space (in Studio A):

[MEDIA=twitter]866759211128152068[/MEDIA]

And this is their new space (in Studio B):

[MEDIA=twitter]866761974050377728[/MEDIA]

Looks like they also got robotic cameras and is that a jib in Scotts tweet?

Slightly jealous about those two monitor arrays.

Edit: When a new set like this debuts its always a pleasant surprise as you didn't know one was being built.

No HD in 2017? For real!? Stations are going to be in 4K by the time WDSU upgrades to HD! The set is really nice! I wish they updated their Strive cuts. They STILL use 2012 cuts.

Since it appears that WDSU is still broadcasting in HD is there any word that those shiny new monitor arrays are broadcasting HD graphics? I ask because I imagine they're still an SDI plant for the most part - unless they have an HD-SDI router and their cameras and other gear are holding them back.

Is it possible that they have a VizRT graphics engine directly connected to the monitors? I mention this because I read an article saying that WBAL's monitor array in their set are directly driven by Viz engines. Additionally there was a recent BBC set upgrade in a total SDI plant that had a HD graphics and video playout server drive their onset HD monitors. They playout device took the SDI signals and inserted them to the monitors when appropriate.

Also did they go the cheap route for studio robotics? Two or three pedestals have to be 15 years old and their other studio relied on old manual Vinten pedestals with pan and tilt robotics.

Also did they go the cheap route for studio robotics? Two or three pedestals have to be 15 years old and their other studio relied on old manual Vinten pedestals with pan and tilt robotics.

They probably got them hand-me-down from another station in the group. I'm sure they work flawlessly, were tuned up on a regular basis and only driven from the news desk to the interview area by a little old lady on Sundays. :rolleyes:

Since it appears that WDSU is still broadcasting in HD is there any word that those shiny new monitor arrays are broadcasting HD graphics? I ask because I imagine they're still an SDI plant for the most part - unless they have an HD-SDI router and their cameras and other gear are holding them back.

Is it possible that they have a VizRT graphics engine directly connected to the monitors? I mention this because I read an article saying that WBAL's monitor array in their set are directly driven by Viz engines. Additionally there was a recent BBC set upgrade in a total SDI plant that had a HD graphics and video playout server drive their onset HD monitors. They playout device took the SDI signals and inserted them to the monitors when appropriate.

And maybe Steve Stone will say "Live. Local. Late Breaking. This is WDSU News at Ten in High Definition."

Going HD these days is like saying "now in COLOR" in the late 70s....it was just a given!

Hearst seems to be a lagger when it comes to HD. Did WAPT and WLKY ever upgrade?

And good ole WGNO is still in widescreen too. Once Sinclair takes over, it wouldn't surprise me if they move the whole operation to Mobile or Pensacola and give them a hubbed newscast like WNWO gets now...

I don't understand why Hearst is so cheap when it comes to upgrading their stations to HD. For a group like them that is shameful.

I don't get why people on here hold Hearst in such high regard compared to other station groups, when Hearst definitely tries their hardest to be as cheap as possible. Everyone looks at a few examples where they've spent money but forget that they still have stations in SD.

I don't get why people on here hold Hearst in such high regard compared to other station groups, when Hearst definitely tries their hardest to be as cheap as possible. Everyone looks at a few examples where they've spent money but forget that they still have stations in SD.

I imagine it's because their well performing stations are so consistent product and ratings wise. There's not much drama, anchor turnover and is considered one of the better station groups to work for.

I imagine it's because their well performing stations are so consistent product and ratings wise. There's not much drama, anchor turnover and is considered one of the better station groups to work for.

It seems Hearst is one of the best owners for news operations and productions and focuses to spend on the talent. However, it is definitely cheap on the technical side...traditionally cheaper owners like Gray and Nexstar certainly spend a lot more there.

It seems Hearst is one of the best owners for news operations and productions and focuses to spend on the talent. However, it is definitely cheap on the technical side...traditionally cheaper owners like Gray and Nexstar certainly spend a lot more there.

Yet when HD first started going local many of their flagship stations and larger market ones were the first or second to go HD. But that was when it was still Hearst Argyle (but it might as well been just Hearst then as well).

They are also one of the few groups that hasn't embraced automated production control. From some of the installs I've seen it doesn't look like they go the cheap route when they are retrofitted to HD - it seems to be top of the line equipment.

• 4 months later...

I hate to bump an old thread, but I thought this video (have not noticed it posted anywhere on this website) would be great to show the two studio's in the WDSU building. This YouTube clip is from March 1996 as the morning show crew toured the now current facility as construction was nearing completion. You see the two studios -- newsroom backdrop set/studio A that was primarily used until 2017 and then studio B which now houses the new set. Having been in the building, I can say that studio B is 478 times bigger than studio A.

Archived