CBC reveals the new The National

Viper550

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this could (and maybe will) work.

Four anchors may seem like much, but their strengths and talents as correspondents and reporters (plus the plans to do longer in-depth reporting in the field for one or two of them) are top-notch, and the plan to have the show be produced across the nation, this is a truly ambitious and interesting program.

I like, and I plan to watch.

It was stated in the press conference that all 4 would be reporting for the show, in addition to their anchoring duties. So I doubt that all four would be presenting on a typical evening. 1 or 2 of them would probably present on a typical night, while the others may be working on stories for the show and not appear.

It'll also be interesting to see how they tie in the Toronto, Ottawa, and Vancouver studios in the same newscast.

It's also an interesting contrast to the other two national newscasts - CTV National News from Toronto and Global National from Vancouver. CBC is trying to span the entire country with this newscast.

It sort of reminds me of the old PBS News Hour setup--if they treat it like that, they may have something.

I highly doubt *all* 4 will be anchoring at the same time. I imagine it'll be a mix of anchoring some nights, long-form or field reporting others. That could be fun to watch.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
It looks like a newsmagazine, not like a national newscast.

I think most news programs in America have promos like that for the past several years if not more (probably more).

Which leads to my 2c:

I've been watching the program more and more on YouTube (there's a livestream on the site during its timeslot) since Since Peter Mansbridge retired in July; and from what I can tell from watching, it's similar to the PBS NewsHour--an update on the day's news during the first half hour or less, followed by long-form stories on one to a few topics to round it out. I assume from this promo (which I like), the program will still be like this, but with a bigger focus on long-form storytelling. We'll see come Monday.

I don't question the 9pm timeslot but why did it mention the 11pm timeslot? I'm not from Canada so please tell me why.

Re-air maybe? Or probably a second airing on the News Network.

I don't question the 9pm timeslot but why did it mention the 11pm timeslot? I'm not from Canada so please tell me why.

The 9:00 pm ET and 11:00 pm ET timeslots are in reference to the CBC News Network. The 9:00 pm ET hour is live to accommodate CBC Atlantic Time viewers while the 11:00 pm ET hour is usually live to accommodate CBC Central Time viewers. (Usually i.e. in rapid news situations.)

b757a87e1fd55f2c7f23563f96980437.png

Despite being carried nationally on the CBC News Network, the 10:00 pm timeslot is only said in reference to the CBC network as The National is scheduled in local time for each station.

Okay, for a second there, I thought it'd be a repeat of the CBC Prime Time News debacle (when they switched the timeslot to 9PM from 1992 to 94, coinciding with the consolidation of The National and The Journal into a single hour-long program following the death of Barbara Frum- it crashed and burned).

The 9:00 pm ET and 11:00 pm ET timeslots are in reference to the CBC News Network. The 9:00 pm ET hour is live to accommodate CBC Atlantic Time viewers while the 11:00 pm ET hour is usually live to accommodate CBC Central Time viewers. (Usually i.e. in rapid news situations.)

b757a87e1fd55f2c7f23563f96980437.png

Despite being carried nationally on the CBC News Network, the 10:00 pm timeslot is only said in reference to the CBC network as The National is scheduled in local time for each station.

Thanks for clarifying! It makes sense now. And yeah, 10pm AT/9pm ET and then 10pm ET and so on and so forth.

More changes at the CBC.

One of CBC Radio's top-of-the-clock national news programs, The World This Hour, will expand from three 10 minute afternoon updates to 4 minute updates every hour of the day. This will phase out the longtime Hourly News, a faster paced top-of-the-clock national news program that airs 10 minutes every hour.

This change will allow CBC Radio stations to follow up with 6 minutes of local news immediately after the national update.

The new format will be up next Monday.

Slightly off-topic but why doesn't CBC (or any broadcast entity in Canada) do 10/9c instead of 10PM all time zones?

It depends on the network, but a lot of it has to do with simulcasting the American networks. In the central timezone, CTV and Global has primetime from 7-10PM CT due to US networks on cable being from Minneapolis or North Dakota. However, while Global airs their local news at 10 PM, CTV puts syndicated programming on at 10, followed by CTV National News at 11, then CTV Local News at 11:30.

In the Mountain Timezone, the private Canadian networks simulcast programming from Spokane TV stations, which are in the Pacific timezone. So primetime runs 8-11PM, and some programs on US networks that run at 10PM PT/11PM MT are aired earlier on the Canadian stations. For those in the MT, shows like Tonight Show, Late Show, and Saturday Night Live didn't run until 12:30 AM for several years.

In CBC's case, they run a standard schedule for every timezone, except Newfoundland which is always a half hour ahead (TONIGHT 10/10:30 NT)

Slightly off-topic but why doesn't CBC (or any broadcast entity in Canada) do 10/9c instead of 10PM all time zones?

It depends on the network, but a lot of it has to do with simulcasting the American networks.

Also, a significant portion of households observes Mountain and Pacific Time over Central. Marketing-wise, using the American 'Eastern/Central' model would not make sense as it is not proportionate to Canada's time zone differences.

Networks like CTV often alternates between Eastern and Mountain Time (10/11mt), while Global alternates between Eastern and Pacific Time. (10et/pt). Concurring with ED2, the CBC has the same standard schedule across most of the country, avoiding the whole time zone jumble. In national marketing, Newfoundland's time is mentioned due to their unique 30 minute time difference. (10/10:30nt)

In Saskatchewan, things get even more confusing; CTV, Global, and City follow the Central Time grid, but Saskatchewan doesn't do DST and is locked on GMT-6, which equates to Mountain time when DST is in effect.

They don't switch to the Calgary/Edmonton schedule when DST is on, so the schedule is basically the Central grid on a one-hour delay until DST ends. Plus our provider uses Boston/Seattle for U.S. affiliates, but we also get Toronto and Vancouver stations too.

Archived