4pm news...what's the point?

jbnews

Shoot...forgot about "First at 4"...and I know people who worked on that show. Never heard the full story about why it got canceled, but I would guess it had to do with both reasons you mentioned.

I always thought First at 4 was their way of pushing Ellie Merritt and grooming her to replace Colleen Marshall when the time came.

Agreed, as soon as the "O" left the airwaves, stations sprung into gear with 4pm shows. It seems like it fares better in inland time zones (central & mountain) because the 5pm news is cut in half by network news (since Eastern & Pacific generally have the whole 5pm hour and network news at 6:30). They also have the 3pm hour while the coastal time zones have a full hour of access time at 7 instead of the half hour at 6:30.

WCMH tried to do one in 2008-2009. It disappeared either due to poor ratings or Media General's decimation of their stations at the time.

It was a trial run and and it was earlier than 08-09 they tried it and it was only 30 minutes and this was when NBC owned the station.

Strangely enough in Pittsburgh, 4PM news came about because of Oprah leaving, but not in the way you think.....

KDKA, who had the rights to Ms. Winfrey's show lost them to WTAE. KD then started doing a solid 3 hour block of news, 4 to 7. The news at 4 actually started beating Oprah in the ratings.....

Actually after KD lost Oprah they had Day and Date and later Rikki Lake for her first few seasons. When Rosie O'Donnell took off KD moved her from 10am to 4pm. After Rosie ended, KDKA paseed on Caroline Rhea which WPXI picked up. KDKA replaced Rosie with a 4:00 newscast giving them a solid three-hour local block from 4-7. I remember this all because I used to was a life-long Guiding Light fan, and that aired at 3 until Dr. Phil moved over from WTAE (which aired Dr. Phil at 10 am) circa 2005 or so.

Actually after KD lost Oprah they had Day and Date and later Rikki Lake for her first few seasons. When Rosie O'Donnell took off KD moved her from 10am to 4pm. After Rosie ended, KDKA paseed on Caroline Rhea which WPXI picked up. KDKA replaced Rosie with a 4:00 newscast giving them a solid three-hour local block from 4-7. I remember this all because I used to was a life-long Guiding Light fan, and that aired at 3 until Dr. Phil moved over from WTAE (which aired Dr. Phil at 10 am) circa 2005 or so.

Thank you for the clarification...

WOIO was the first to do a 4pm newscast in 2004. However, I don't know what they ran in that slot prior but First at 4 was able to beat Judge Judy on WJW but trailed Oprah on WEWS. Now, WJW and WEWS both have 4pm newscasts that, along with WOIO's 30-minute attempt, compete against Ellen on WKYC.

Sometime in the 1990's, I believe WJBK was the first with a 4 PM newscast, albeit that one didn't last very long at all. 4 PM newscasts returned in the mid-late 2000's when WDIV started doing one titled "First at 4". Currently, both WDIV and WXYZ have 4 PM newscasts, while WJBK has succumbed to showing Judge Judy at 4 PM.

WRC has had a 4pm newscast as long as I remember and I think they're the only O&O besides WJZ that delays their respective network evening news to 7pm.

If I can recall, WRC expanded its 4:30PM news to a full hour around 1995.

Here in my neck of the woods, neither Tallahassee or Panama City have a 4pm newscast, and thanks to many syndication commitments, it looks like it won't be coming anytime soon. But up north in Dothan, WTVY does a 4pm newscast for WRGX.

They've aired a full hour of news at 6:00pm for 50 years now, dating back to the NBC days.

You're right. I think its been since 1966 that WSB has aired weeknight news at 6:00 p.m. for a full hour.

Just like how WIS has had a half-hour 7:00 p.m. newscast since 1963.

Sometime in the 1990's, I believe WJBK was the first with a 4 PM newscast, albeit that one didn't last very long at all. 4 PM newscasts returned in the mid-late 2000's when WDIV started doing one titled "First at 4". Currently, both WDIV and WXYZ have 4 PM newscasts, while WJBK has succumbed to showing Judge Judy at 4 PM.

WJBK had a 5pm news (30 minutes) in the 80s and got killed by XYZ & DIV and then they moved it to 5:30pm and cancelled it many times. By late 80s/early 90s JBK was able to get XYZ talent, by 1990 they created 4pm news and move Geraldo at 5pm first then by 1992 Donahue was on at 5pm so they wouldn't compete with the monster on WXYZ Bonds and WDIV's Crim/Harlan. The 4pm news continued when they switch to FOX, by 1997 when FOX took control of the station Rosie O' Donnell took the 4pm spot then Ricki Lake and Roise switched at 3pm/4pm slot.

Archived