YT Copyright Claim Note...

Ntropolis

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to be really careful when uploading any ABC News clips. A while back, a couple of my videos I had were taken down. I'm not sure if they're still cracking down on the videos or not but I don't want to take any chances.

are you able to claim "fair use"? I don't know what kind of content it is.

People kinda need to fight back and stand their ground. If you have programs you had videotaped way back and ingested to your PC or found if from a defunct site and its over 10 years old that has little interest to the mass, plus the fair use reasons - then I think its worth fighting with the YouTube admins.

If you're doing something like uploading an entire episode of Dr Phil from 3 weeks ago, or an entire newscast within the last year - then you're more than likely SOL.

My beef with this DCMA thing, is when companies abuse it and take the video down solely because they don't want it up, like with KTVU taking down all the videos from the Asiana incident because they allegedly didn't want to cause a ripple with the Asian community...

FTV Live also had their run in with WAND who filed a takedown notice, but FTVLive claimed fair use and their video was restored.

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2014/8/6/man-arrested-for-saying-fk-her-in-the-puy-on-newscast

http://ftvlive.com/todays-news/2014/8/26/a-win-for-the-good-guys

Technically, you're violating YouTube's TOS. Multiple times during the upload process, they remind you "clips should consist only of stuff you made yourself".

Now, realistically, they don't enforce that, given the sheer amount of stuff that is obviously taken from other sources. But it is a thing.

---

I got blammed for uploading the first World News with Diane Sawyer open. That's since expired.

I think, increasingly, companies are looking not to remove content, but to profit off of it. That's what the Content ID thing is supposed to do. I've noticed I've gotten matches for audio/visual content, but the videos remain playable on a desktop PC. I have intentionally chosen not to monetize my videos for that reason. I don't think we've had mass takedowns for quite a bit.

are you able to claim "fair use"? I don't know what kind of content it is.

People kinda need to fight back and stand their ground. If you have programs you had videotaped way back and ingested to your PC or found if from a defunct site and its over 10 years old that has little interest to the mass, plus the fair use reasons - then I think its worth fighting with the YouTube admins.

If you're doing something like uploading an entire episode of Dr Phil from 3 weeks ago, or an entire newscast within the last year - then you're more than likely SOL.

It was a World News Tonight w/ Charles Gibson close circa 2006 and a Nightline open from 1988. The copyright claims have since expired.

Technically, you're violating YouTube's TOS. Multiple times during the upload process, they remind you "clips should consist only of stuff you made yourself".

Now, realistically, they don't enforce that, given the sheer amount of stuff that is obviously taken from other sources. But it is a thing.

---

I got blammed for uploading the first World News with Diane Sawyer open. That's since expired.

I think, increasingly, companies are looking not to remove content, but to profit off of it. That's what the Content ID thing is supposed to do. I've noticed I've gotten matches for audio/visual content, but the videos remain playable on a desktop PC. I have intentionally chosen not to monetize my videos for that reason. I don't think we've had mass takedowns for quite a bit.

The almighty dollar rules again...

What brought the various takedowns back about 8 years ago, one could argue one was hosting video on an advertising supported site, (i.e. YouTube could make "profits" - even when they had very thin margins for years.) Hosting video on say like a TV-ARK one could argue was more legal, etc...

...But more and more recently I see more ads before viewing videos. Now I know some channels/users make money with the Google Ad Sense, but if those people are doing it to post copyrighted video, that would give the networks ammo to take video down.

I do not know how the ad structure/commercials are done if its triggered randomly by Google or its being triggered because I am viewing a channel that one is getting ad dollars for themselves.

This thought process I had goes back to those dark days of 2006, when CBS lawyers had so much time on their hands to take down the "WCBS-TV Celebrates" film IDs from the 70s, among the many other videos being taken down from various parties involved. These people should've gotten a life, something like banging their wives or something like that! :p

I mentioned this in another thread but Hearst decided to take down one video of mine despite the fact I have other posts of their stuff hat weren't taken down. I almost think it was removed because they uploaded the same video to their channel.

• 1 year later...

The almighty dollar rules again or should i say almighty £ rules, this time across the pond. Fans of british adverts like me occasionally are stunned to see their favourite channel col2006ie (colm o rourke) taken down all videos. Ten years of memories. Gone. It was his choice alone tho. The channel still exist but only has the announcement on his decision. I have saved some few vids of his and I'll let time pass by before i post.

Announcement:

The almighty dollar rules again or should i say almighty £ rules, this time across the pond. Fans of british adverts like me occasionally are stunned to see their favourite channel col2006ie (colm o rourke) taken down all videos. Ten years of memories. Gone. It was his choice alone tho. The channel still exist but only has the announcement on his decision. I have saved some few vids of his and I'll let time pass by before i post.

Announcement:

and another youtube site tvlive has bought his archive and are posting his vids

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived