The Start of a Trend?

bostonmediaguy

WTVJ/Miami will end its 5pm newscast come fall. "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" will air at 5pm, leading into the station's 6pm news. A new 7pm broadcast will be introduced. This follows WPLG's move last fall; eliminating its 5pm newscast in favor of "Judge Judy" at 4pm and "Dr. Phil" at 5pm. 'PLG's 6pm news has done very well since.

http://www.nbc6.net/station/13762709/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

I doubt it'll be a sweeping trend across the nation. It just depends on the market really. Here in Philly, 4PM newscasts are popular here with WCAU adding an hour long 4PM newscast to its line up back in '97 and then KYW a few years back moved it's 5PM news to 4 to compete with CAU (that and because Oprah said so).

WTVJ/Miami will end its 5pm newscast come fall. "The Ellen DeGeneres Show" will air at 5pm, leading into the station's 6pm news. A new 7pm broadcast will be introduced. This follows WPLG's move last fall; eliminating its 5pm newscast in favor of "Judge Judy" at 4pm and "Dr. Phil" at 5pm. 'PLG's 6pm news has done very well since.

http://www.nbc6.net/station/13762709/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

Also WTVJ former sister station WNCN did this before. WNCN replaced thier 5pm newscast and added a 7pm newscast. I don't think it is a thrend though but, maybe some of the NBC O&O's will replace there 5pm newscasts with 7pm newscasts. The changes happened when WNCN was a NBC O&O station.

I doubt it'll be a sweeping trend across the nation. It just depends on the market really. Here in Philly, 4PM newscasts are popular here with WCAU adding an hour long 4PM newscast to its line up back in '97 and then KYW a few years back moved it's 5PM news to 4 to compete with CAU (that and because Oprah said so).

I agree. Probably not going to happen in Pittsburgh, where the 5PM race is a dead heat. In fact, last May KDKA whomped both Oprah and Judy with their 4PM newscast. Not an easy feat.

It's almost like how it's always been in Central time...because the network news is at 5:30pm, local news is usually on at 5 & 6 Central.

I don't necessarily care for it...the network news seems too early. I like having a full hour at 5pm. WALA does that and doesn't have a 6:00pm show.

Does anyone (besides Chicago) have a 4pm news in Central Time?

It's almost like how it's always been in Central time...because the network news is at 5:30pm, local news is usually on at 5 & 6 Central.

I don't necessarily care for it...the network news seems too early. I like having a full hour at 5pm. WALA does that and doesn't have a 6:00pm show.

When I'm in that area, i tend to avoid watching WEAR(some calls), and WPMI because i don't like Sinclair for one, and how it's broken up like the 5, and 6 no 5:30. If i remember correctly WALA doesn't have a noon news do they?

4pm newscasts are also very big in LA...and when it comes to the 5, 6, and 11 o'clock news...most people either turn to KNBC or KABC. I doubt KNBC will want to drop it's 5pm news...it would anger Paul Moyer and Colleen Williams, who already are generally pissed off as is.

4pm newscasts are also very big in LA...and when it comes to the 5, 6, and 11 o'clock news...most people either turn to KNBC or KABC. I doubt KNBC will want to drop it's 5pm news...it would anger Paul Moyer and Colleen Williams, who already are generally pissed off as is.

When aren't they pissed off?

It really does depend on the market. Here in San Diego, when KUSI was breaking in to evening news, they started a half hour newscast at 7:00p, but soon after, it was moved up to 6:30 and then expanded to six to run for an hour. But, in LA, KCAL has had their primetime block of news from 8pm-11pm for years and has always been successful. Also, they have newscasts at 2pm and 3pm. Their focus is local news. So again, it depends on the market, and I don't think stations are going to overwhelmingly axe their 5pm newscasts if they do well.

Maybe a trend with the NBC O/Os...

WNBC's "Live at Five" ends next month: http://www.wnbc.com/news/13763335/detail.html?dl=mainclick

They, too, will begin a 7pm news.

So, Live at 5 dies again, and Sue Simmons is only going to anchor the 11PM? Weird. I don't like it. No more groundhog?

No more "Live at Five," the original Live at Five? (the rebirth of the original) I need to send a e-mail now!

WPEC News 12 in West Palm Beach debuted their 7pm News last year. BTW, here's their current daytime schedule:

5-7am WPEC News 12 Daybreak

7-9am The Early Show

9-10am Live with Regis and Kelly

10-11am Martha

11am-Noon The Price is Right

Noon WPEC News 12 at Noon

12:30-4pm CBS Soaps

4pm The Insider

4:30pm Family Feud

5-6:30 WPEC News 12

6:30 CBS Evening News with Katie Couric

I guess Katie Couric is being used as a lead-in to the 7pm News

7pm WPEC News 12

7:30pm Millionaire

For as long as I can remember, WTMJ has had a newscast at 4pm. They also have their mid-day newscast at 11am.

When I'm in that area, i tend to avoid watching WEAR(some calls), and WPMI because i don't like Sinclair for one, and how it's broken up like the 5, and 6 no 5:30. If i remember correctly WALA doesn't have a noon news do they?

You are correct. WALA's last noon newscast aired in September 1997, when it was cancelled after four years on the air.

The success of the 7pm will remain to be seen. I have my doubts, though. In Boston, there have been two newscasts in the 7pm hour. In 2001, WSBK had a 'BZ-produced 7pm newscast that lasted seven months. In the early '90s, WBZ had "The 7:30 Report" following "Nightly." It, too, did not last long.

[yt=425,350]WEpSTCesYpQ[/yt]

[yt=425,350]xb5v7pQsJgw[/yt]

WKYC (Gannett owned NBC station in Cleveland) can be considered a good example of what a 6/7pm newscast, paired up with the right lead-in, can do. When they picked up Dr. Phil in 2002 (according to Wikipedia), they cancelled the 5pm news, and made their news be delivered through 2 half-hour newscasts at 6 and 7. They heavilly promoted the 6pm news during Dr. Phil, and due to the insane popularity of Dr. Phil, they experienced increases in ratings. They were #1, until 2005, when several unlucky occurances caused them to lose ratings.

That's actually incorrect about WKYC cancelling news in 2002. I know that as far back as 2000, they were doing news at 6 and 7, and airing talk shows at 5pm.

WKYC (Gannett owned NBC station in Cleveland) can be considered a good example of what a 6/7pm newscast, paired up with the right lead-in, can do. When they picked up Dr. Phil in 2002 (according to Wikipedia), they cancelled the 5pm news, and made their news be delivered through 2 half-hour newscasts at 6 and 7. They heavilly promoted the 6pm news during Dr. Phil, and due to the insane popularity of Dr. Phil, they experienced increases in ratings. They were #1, until 2005, when several unlucky occurances caused them to lose ratings.

Houston's KTRK and KPRC both air 4pm newscasts. KPRC originated it in the market several years ago and KTRK followed suit in 2001 after Sally Jesse Rafael left the air (I think, though they may have had a show in between Sally leaving and the 4pm news debut). KPRC expaneded to an hour to compete against KTRK, but recently cut back to a half-hour because the ratings weren't there (Oprah on KHOU is #1 in the slot, followed by 13 Eyewitness News at 4).

Nashville's WKRN and WTVF both have a 4:00 newscast as well up against Oprah (of course) on WSMV.

Also in both of these markets, there are stations with hour-long 6:00pm newscasts. KTRK does very well against ET (KPRC) and Wheel (KHOU) with their hour-long newscast and Nashville's WSMV and WTVF have had hour-long 6pm newscasts since late the 70s and early 80s (WKRN counter programs with Wheel at 6:30 currently, but had ET in the slot prior).

Houston's KTRK and KPRC both air 4pm newscasts. KPRC originated it in the market several years ago and KTRK followed suit in 2001 after Sally Jesse Rafael left the air (I think, though they may have had a show in between Sally leaving and the 4pm news debut). KPRC expaneded to an hour to compete against KTRK, but recently cut back to a half-hour because the ratings weren't there (Oprah on KHOU is #1 in the slot, followed by 13 Eyewitness News at 4).

Same with DFW, kinda. KXAS has an hour-long newscast, while KTVT's is only 30 minutes. However, KDFW has Judge Judy , KXAS has news, WFAA has Oprah, and KTVT has news & Inside Edition. However, there is no station that has an hour long 5 or 6 newscast. I don't include KDFW as an hour-long newscast, because they treat the 5 & 5:30 newscasts as seperate entities. The only local newscasts that are an hour long (or more) are KDFW's Good Day & 9:00 evening newscast, KXAS' DFW Today, WFAA's Noon newscast, (I don't count GMT cause it's more entertainment than news) KTXA's Primetime newscast and KDAF's weekday newscast.

Archived