WNBC's Live at 5 to end

NewsMan

This is actually happening they will add a 7PM newscast.

http://www.wnbc.com/news/13763335/detail.html?dl=mainclick

The changes are that Live at 5 is getting replaced by Extra which moves from the 7PM hour to 5PM. News 4 You keeps its 5:30PM slot. David Ushery & Linda Baquero replace Chuck & Sue at 6PM. Chuck will anchor the new 7PM newscast solo. Chuck will still anchor 11PM along with Sue. Sue will only anchor the 11PM newscast.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I am shocked I wonder if it will be an NBC O&O change. I hope KNSD does not drop its 5pm news. I wonder if KNBC will attempt to do something like this. Could this be a cost cutting move related to the NBC 2.0?

Wow. I am shocked I wonder if it will be an NBC O&O change. I hope KNSD does not drop its 5pm news. I wonder if KNBC will attempt to do something like this. Could this be a cost cutting move related to the NBC 2.0?

WTVJ NBC6 Miami is dumping their 5pm news and starting a 7pm newscast too. I wonder if other NBC O&O's will too.

http://www.nbc6.net/station/13762709/detail.html?dl=headlineclick

Hmm. Interesting move. I personally like the move, to have a later news, but i have a feeling that the ratings will drop. 2,5, and 7 will get more viewers I assume.

Would WCBS do a same thing? I rule out WABC because of its huge ratings at 5PM.

I wonder if KNBC will attempt to do something like this.

Paul Moyer would have a heart attack if The Channel 4 News at 5PM is axed. But if they let him anchor a "7PM" Channel 4 News at 7, then he would do it. But that would be unfair to Colleen

These are all bad choices they are making. No news at 5. As John Stossel would say "Give Me A Break". Chuch and Sue should anchor the 6pm newscast. Why bring Lynda and David to it. Sue Simmons is only going to be on at 11. Are these people nuts. There ratings are going to go down.

Wow! I'm totally shocked. Live @ 5 is a long standing newscast in NYC and has a rich tradition. I'm surprised totally. This might be an NBC O&O move. I think it'll work only if they have strong 5pm shows. Extra and the consumer show don't sound like a good idea. Honestly, I think they shouldn't mess with it, but I do like the idea of a 7pm newscast, especially here on the east coast. The 7pm hour is dull for tv, unless Jeporady and Wheel of Fortune is on 7-8, lol.

I doubt they'll top Jeopardy in the ratings...but, good for Channel 4. It's about time a station realize that, these days, people barely get home from work in time to watch the evening news. Moving it to a later time period will attract a new audience. However, their 5:30 & 6:00 shows will suffer because of the jump that Chs. 2, 5, and 7 already have from starting their newscasts at 5:00. I would cut the 5:00 news hour all together, and have the 7:00 hour be devoted to news.

WNWO in Toledo, another O&O is also doing a 7pm newscast, in favor of Judge Judy from 5-6pm, but they are doing an hour long newscast at 7pm

Below are the current released schedules for WNBC, WTVJ, and WNWO

WNBC

10-11 Today

11-12 Ellen

12-1 iVillage

1-2 Martha

2-3 Days

3-3:30 Judge Joe Brown

3:30-4 Merv Griffin’s Crosswords

5-5:30 - Extra

5:30-6 News 4 You with Perri Peltz

6-6:30 NewsChannel 4 at 6 with David Ushery and Lynda Baquero

6:30-7 Nightly

7-7:30 NewsChannel 4 at 7 with Chuck Scarborough

7:30-8 Access Hollywood

11-11:35 NewsChannel 4 at 11 with Chuck and Sue

WTVJ

10-11 Today

11-12 South Florida Today

12-1 iVillage

1-2 Days

2-3 Martha

3-4 People’s court

4-4:30 Merv Griffin’s crosswords

4:30-5 Extra

5-6 Ellen

6-6:30 NBC 6 News at 6pm

7-7:30 NBC 6 News at 7pm

7:30-8 Access Hollywood

WNWO

10-11 Today

11-11:30 NBC24 News at 11

5-6 Judge Judy

6-6:30 NBC 24 at 6

7-7:30 NBC 24 News at 7

7:30-8 NBC 24 News at 7:30

More drastic changes. I still can't believe there will be no Live at 5. WCBS, WABC and WNYW must be happy about that. And Sue on air for only 35mins. It seems they are forcing her out. There budget problems are really hurting them. Do you guys think there will be an audience at 7pm though, i mean there would be that lead in from Nightly News but even they audience is dwindling.

The changes are that Live at 5 is getting replaced by Extra which moves from the 7PM hour to 5PM. News 4 You keeps its 5:30PM slot. David Ushery & Linda Baquero replace Chuck & Sue at 6PM. Chuck will anchor the new 7PM newscast solo. Chuck will still anchor 11PM along with Sue. Sue will only anchor the 11PM newscast.

First of all that statement is contradictory because first you say that Chuck will anchor the 11PM with Sue and then you say that Sue will anchor the 11PM alone, so which one is true I don't know. They don't seem to mention that sue will be anchoring the 11PM broadcast solo. They say Chuck and Sue will anchor the broadcast so Sue anchoring the 11PM broadcast alone is out of the question. It would be cool to see Chuck and Sue both anchor at 7 and 11PM. I personally think its pretty cool though, it gives people coming home late from work a chance to watch the news if they miss a broadcast. So that will surely help WNBC out as there really isn't no competition during the 7PM hour. So lets hope it works. But, it kinda bogs down a tradition set by many stations by having the news at 5PM rather than later, but oh well, lets see how it is.

-Vlad

First of all that statement is contradictory because first you say that Chuck will anchor the 11PM with Sue and then you say that Sue will anchor the 11PM alone, so which one is true I don't know. They don't seem to mention that sue will be anchoring the 11PM broadcast solo. They say Chuck and Sue will anchor the broadcast so Sue anchoring the 11PM broadcast alone is out of the question. It would be cool to see Chuck and Sue both anchor at 7 and 11PM. I personally think its pretty cool though, it gives people coming home late from work a chance to watch the news if they miss a broadcast. So that will surely help WNBC out as there really isn't no competition during the 7PM hour. So lets hope it works. But, it kinda bogs down a tradition set by many stations by having the news at 5PM rather than later, but oh well, lets see how it is.

-Vlad

Vlad, I think he means "only" when he says "alone", not she's doing the newscast solo, but the only newscast she'll do. Haha, she'll have the same on-air schedule as Rene Chenault-Fattah here in Philly. She only does the 11pm and no other newscast, but that was at her request.

I think WNBC is giving up too fast on Live at 5. On the other hand they are in financial problems. But also a 7pm newscast is not a bad idea either in which Chuck should anchor along with Sue. Lynda and David at 6 ratings the ratings will nose dive after taking off Chuck after 30 years.

I would love to have a 7p local newscast. I'm in my car driving home from work during the 5:00 hour, and I'm busy making dinner for my kids during the 6:00 hour. When that's over, I can settle in and take in what passes for the day's events, but it's either EntertainmentAccessExtraHollywood or Wheel of Fortune. Yippee.

Does anyone else think these changes aren't enough?

Most people are working longer hours and coming home after all the local and national newscasts are over.

I always thought that having an hour of local news from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. followed by an hour of the network news (e.g. NBC Nightly News), commercial free, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. would work really well, assuming that all three networks make the changes.

The entertainment shows currently slated from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. could be moved to the 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. block.

It would allow for more in-depth coverage of the news at the national level, while potentially increasing its viewer base.

What do you think?

I always thought that having an hour of local news from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. followed by an hour of the network news (e.g. NBC Nightly News), commercial free, from 7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. would work really well, assuming that all three networks make the changes.

What do you think?

Commercial free?! They're barely staying afloat as it is. No way it would happen.

WNBC is making so many changes so often, they might rival WCBS in the constant changes. Considering WNBC (before recent memory) never changed a thing, this is truly drastic for them.

I like the 7pm news idea, however more viewers will turn to 2, 5, and 7 for their news at 5. This "hollywood" and entertainment fad is ridiculous and their ratings will plummet further. Tyra also does extremely well for MY9 at 5pm (which it is staying at 5 come Sept; now from NYC), so this can only hurt WNBC.

WNBC is making so many changes so often, they might rival WCBS in the constant changes. Considering WNBC (before recent memory) never changed a thing, this is truly drastic for them.

I like the 7pm news idea, however more viewers will turn to 2, 5, and 7 for their news at 5. This "hollywood" and entertainment fad is ridiculous and their ratings will plummet further. Tyra also does extremely well for MY9 at 5pm (which it is staying at 5 come Sept; now from NYC), so this can only hurt WNBC.

You have to thank Bob Wright and Jeff Zucker for their assholic and moronic NBC 2.0 cuts.

What I'd said was that Chuck Solo's the 7PM and Chuck & Sue co-anchor the 11PM, which will be her only newscast of the day.

Oh ok, I understand now Newsman. Kinda sucks though how she is now doing only 1 newscast per day. I blame myself for staying up late this morning, lol, to not be able to understand. But again I still would like to see Sue also anchor the 7PM with Chuck.. But oh well, I guess its slow signs of the Chuck and Sue era finally starting to dwindle away to a slow end....We all knew it would happen some time. :'( Makes me wonder if Bill and Liz or Chris and Kristine can pull off such a legendary tenure as Chuck and Sue did.

-Vlad

This has got to be great news for WCBS and WABC.

I really think this will lead to a WNBC crash-down. At 7pm, while some might want the news...people are into their comedies and Jeopardy, etc. by then. From 7-11pm, people want to unwind and watch their usual shows. I do not know if it can fit in the city.

Look at WCBS' 4pm newscasts they re-vamped constantly and then ended. WNBC is starting to re-vamp things constantly for them and it can only lead to the same basement that WCBS is in. As I said, it can only help WCBS' re-vamps and WABC's steadiness.

Archived