BREAKING: 35W Bridge Collapses in Minneapoils

KKyuubi

The Interstate 35W bridge that MnDot has been working on all summer has collapsed.

The entire span of the 35W bridge collapsed about 6:05 p.m. where the freeway crosses the river near University Avenue. Traffic in both directions was affected.

Much of the bridge is in the Mississippi River.

Firefighters and other rescue personnel are having a hard time reaching all the injured because of the debris and the location of the collapse.

Divers are now in the water.

Kent Barnard of MnDOT is on the scene and he says both the north and south lanes are down. He asked that people stay away from the area. The detour is using 280 and 94.

"The more people who stay away from the area, the better it will be for emergency personnel."

from KARE11

KMSP, KSTP, KARE, and WCCO have live coverage on-air and online right now

WPTY/WLMT here in Memphis doing something a little odd, they are doing rolling coverage on both of their channels and have been since shortly after the ABC special. Cameron Harper is anchoring. Not sure I see the point in it, there's no real local connection except of course that Memphis is also on the Mississippi River.

I am a little surprised, even given how late it is and it being primetime on the East, that there isn't more significant network coverage.

Not sure I see the point in it, there's no real local connection except of course that Memphis is also on the Mississippi River.

Because it's a major breaking news story.....I think the networks may be dropping the ball by not covering this more.

I do agree that the networks may be dropping the ball here and WPTY is trying to pick up the slack. The other locals are running tickers about the situation.

And actually as I type WPTY is going off the air.

MSNBC, CNN, HNN, and FOX News are all covering the story. (Incredible pictures!)

Olbermann handed to Dan Abrams at 9PM

H & C took over coverage at 9PM

Nancy Grace continues with coverage at 9PM (Beck would normally have his show now)

Wolf Blitzer continues coverage on CNN instead of Larry King

AN eyewitness on CNN said before the building collapsed, there was a 150 foot plume of tan smoke rising up, then the bridge collapsed. That sounds really weird. I hope it's not terrorism, and I hope the death tolls stop were they are.

It wasn't terrorism you dolt. Listen to CNN more closely.

... I truly would appreciate if you would retract that comment' date=' as it was unnessecarily rude. The anchors at CNN did not say it, it was the eyewitness.[/quote']

Why should he? The way your post was written, the terrorism comment looked like an observation by you. This is where proper punctuation (and spelling) can be your friend.

... I truly would appreciate if you would retract that comment' date=' as it was unnessecarily rude. The anchors at CNN did not say it, it was the eyewitness.[/quote']

Why should he? The way your post was written, the terrorism comment looked like an observation by you. This is where proper punctuation (and spelling) can be your friend.

Also, I never said it was terrorism, I said I hope it isn't.

It was a comment by DMA! In light of this, is say "DO NOT RETRACT!"

Jordan's point was to listen more closely.

Is there honestly too much of a reason to do border-to-border coverage on cable news throughout the night repeating information and speculating on why the bridge collapsed?

Is there honestly too much of a reason to do border-to-border coverage on cable news throughout the night repeating information and speculating on why the bridge collapsed?

You have a point.

Here it is 1:30AM and they are covering this incident as IF IT WAS terrorism. Dan Abrams just had a guest who said that "search and rescue" was being put on hold until the morning...and I doubt the Governor, Mayor and other high ranking officials are still around the scene to provide "new" details.

The latest as of now is 4 dead and 20 missing. That number may go up.

Just some random thoughts I have:

1) I feel so sad for the people of the Twin Cities. We go across bridges each and every day and to see what happened there is just shocking. But what came out of there now is stories of heroism. It is refreshing that people will just help their fellow brother out at a drop of a hat, or just in an instant. With how the world is today, at least we have people who will help others out. That is quite refreshing.

2) MSNBC showed video this morning of the bridge going down. It was obviously cell phone video. Very shocking video.

Again, my heart goes out to the fine people of Minneapolis-St. Paul. A sad day for sure. But good overcame this tragedy, yet again.

-- Matt

Just my two cents, I think the title of the thread's a little in bad taste, esp when you see how the forum software abbreviates it on the main page...

Secondly I find it highly irresponsible that anyone in the media would immediately jump to the conclusion that a disaster like this was due to terrorism (although I find it irresponsible that DHS has been trying to scare the hell out of us for the past two months but that's another discussion for another time). I know it's in the bad of everyone's mind but I wouldn't even mention it even after confirmation that foul play wasn't involved. In fact that would be the term I would use, "foul play". "Terrorism" just invokes unneeded fear into people complication an already omplicated situation.

Secondly I find it highly irresponsible that anyone in the media would immediately jump to the conclusion that a disaster like this was due to terrorism (although I find it irresponsible that DHS has been trying to scare the hell out of us for the past two months but that's another discussion for another time). I know it's in the bad of everyone's mind but I wouldn't even mention it even after confirmation that foul play wasn't involved. In fact that would be the term I would use, "foul play". "Terrorism" just invokes unneeded fear into people complication an already omplicated situation.

I would have to agree with you in that respect, I mean, FNC actually played up the idea "could this actually be terrorism?!?!?!" hours after it was said by DHS that it in no way was, talking to some "expert" on the issue in large. If we all know something about the media though, isn't it something along the lines that fear gets ratings? Why not just scare everyone shit-less and make them fear for their lives? I mean, we can get people to watch! But honestly, NONE of the initial reports included anything about an explosion and smoke was only reported after the whole structure fell, which would be expected! Honestly though, I would believe there would be so many more structural possibilities to explore before anyone even though of exploring terror, but whatever.

Anyway, CNN.com has the video of the collapse on the front page they obtained from a "source" and FNC just played it before going to the commercial, saying it was from the "Army Corp. of Engineers"

Archived