New WABC graphics make their debut

nynewsguy

Hi all,

I've had a problem logging in here for the past few days, not to mention I was a little annoyed when my last post "disappeared".... but, I wanted to let everyone know that the new WABC graphics debuted on this evening's "Eyewitness to Weather Wonders" special which aired at 7:30PM.

For those that missed it, you can view it at 7online.com, or on WABC-DT.

You'll notice the graphics are more colorful and smaller then the old ones.

They'll make their broadcast debut on EWN for November sweeps.

alright, they are stationary, so I guess the animated ones will debut in a month or so...

they also used the ABC News studios (Bill Evans report)

they look nice...a lot better than KABC, but KGO and WLS are the better looking and better presenting affiliates. I especially like KGO, they do a great job all around with graphics, presentation, and news coverage.

Good job, WABC! Now, you're back in business!

Not bad... I guess this special was their way of putting those graphics to the test.

Its much better now that its smaller. Its definitely a step up, but its still not as good as WLS. I don't think Hothaus did those graphics. It seems like it was done in-house. But it is nice, but I'm not too fond of it being italicized though because it makes it feel a bit more tabloidish and less "New York" if you know what I mean.

It is significantly better though than what they have now though, And thats what really counts, the fact that its better, is definitely a plus. And the font they used for the lower thirds seems to be the italicized version of the font in which they used back in 1999 - 2003.

The lower thirds are an improvement, but overall a big disappointment. It just looks like a refinement of past WABC graphic packages. I am all for recycling trash, but not old graphics. I was hoping for something along the lines of KTRK Houston.

Agreed. It's an improvement, but not something that makes a person step back and say "sweet!". But as people have mentioned before, it's not graphics alone that make or break a newscast. There are stations that could use flip cards for graphics, and still win by a landslide.

Hi all,

I've had a problem logging in here for the past few days, not to mention I was a little annoyed when my last post "disappeared".... but, I wanted to let everyone know that the new WABC graphics debuted on this evening's "Eyewitness to Weather Wonders" special which aired at 7:30PM.

Those are really the new graphics? Are there more elements or different elements we will see for November? If not...then how unimpressive and slightly ugly. If WABC did in fact use Hothaus or another graphic design company, I sure hope they didn't pay for this. Why can't they just get modern-looking graphics like WLS or KTRK?

I'm sorry, but they suck. It's like back to the future (again!). The current lower thirds don't look much different than ABC7 in the late 90's and the new ones look like the ones from around 2003 with a slight modification. Yeah, if this is Hothaus they got ripped off.

Well we can say that if those L3s are indeed what will be used in the future, then they are not made by Hothaus. It really seems like a modification of their previous package. (what they had back in 1999-2003). And it looks like it was done in house. Although Hothaus, did some of the promos like the I Believe Campaign, and the Date With Eyewitness News, doesn't necesarilly mean that are assigned to do the station's graphics package as well. It doesn't work that way.

Overall, we only got a glimpse of the Lower Thirds (thats if those are even what will be used), there is no word on how the rest of the graphics package will play out, such as the title cards and opens and split screens, over the shoulders, sets, and even music.

No offense, but we can't rely on nynewsguy for every little information there is, about WABC. Because if you work for a television news station, they are not entitled to divulge every bit of information to the employee. That applies to every organization. No offense nynewsguy, but a lot of your speculations haven't been true. We don't really know for sure if those are indeed the Lower Thirds that will be used, because every special WABC produces has different styles of lower thirds. So the only thing left to do is just wait until probably November and see what happens. Seeing is believing.

I really don't mean to be the dumb one around here, but does anyone have any good pre and post revision shots? Looking at a few videos, I can't tell a difference, but maybe I haven't seen the right ones.

I really don't mean to be the dumb one around here, but does anyone have any good pre and post revision shots? Looking at a few videos, I can't tell a difference, but maybe I haven't seen the right ones.

The Eyewitness To Weather Wonders video on http://www.7online.com is supposedly the video with the new lower thirds that WABC will start using soon.

The Eyewitness To Weather Wonders video on http://www.7online.com is supposedly the video with the new lower thirds that WABC will start using soon.

Ah, thanks! From an outsider's point of view, it looks like a step up from the one they've been using for awhile, though aged in many respects for a reason I can't really explain

If the rumors hold true and WABC does in fact debut new graphics in time for Nov. sweeps, then one would speculate that they will debut on Monday. Looking at WABC's history, new graphics are normally introduced on a Monday (more recently during the 5pm news) and on a Monday that begins the week when a new month and/or ratings period will begin.

Well we can say that if those L3s are indeed what will be used in the future, then they are not made by Hothaus.

How can you say that definitively? Look at WPXI's graphics: they don't look Hothaus at all... the lower thirds are hardly anything but a black line with Helvetica text-- taken right from the previous package. Remember that the station has ultimate say over what the new image will look like.

Just putting that out there.

Well we can say that if those L3s are indeed what will be used in the future, then they are not made by Hothaus.

How can you say that definitively? Look at WPXI's graphics: they don't look Hothaus at all... the lower thirds are hardly anything but a black line with Helvetica text-- taken right from the previous package. Remember that the station has ultimate say over what the new image will look like.

Just putting that out there.

Yeah thats true too, and I do agree with you Matt, but those are just not "nice enough" to be Hothaus, lol. Although Hothaus Creative isn't mandated to create earth-shattering graphics, but it wouldn't make sense to hire such an advanced graphics company like them to create lower thirds like those.

The only thing I noticed that changed theis week was the Beaking News graphic which has music. It looks cool. Still no major changes with the graphics.

I als noticed the updated "Breaking News" intro ...very flashy and sounds like it has a cut of EWN New Generation accompanying it...pretty nice; hopefully we will see more of this soon.

They also have unveiled a "Developing Story" graphic as well. That uses a cut from Series 1, if I'm not mistaking it even sounds like their previous bumper from the 90s, lol.

[yt=425,350]ffU9vfen-Uw[/yt]

Hi all,

so nynewsguy --

what's the delay now? and whatever happened to "Regis & Kelly" moving to their own studio and EWN creating a "super studio"?

I agree ank new it all along. Evertime someone mentions a change coming nothin happens. I'm fine how ABC7 is right now. It just bothers me how people spread rumors. First they said their would be new music and graphics last Febuary, then May, then September , and now November. Each time they lied!

Archived