The HD News Thread

Ntropolis

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TVSpy stated today that Nexstar's WHAG in Hagerstown, MD announced that the station went High Definition early Monday Morning. But since Sunday morning, its over-the-air transmitter went down. So viewers who didn't have cable or satellite can't see WHAG's signal.

But if you have satellite, you won't see the HD newscast, since the station is only SD on satellite...

Hopefully they'll be back up soon.

J

WLIO (NBC) in Lima, OH will go high definition this fall.

That one station equals the whole entire market, since Block controls the big-4 in Little Lima, along with WOHL-CD.

They talk about this fall, and we're in the middle of the Autumnal season, maybe they mean within this sweeps period..... I dunno what stunts these smaller markets do during the sweeps months.

Just throwing this out there... what's the largest market station still doing news in 4:3 SD?

I think the largest market station, for in-market, outside proper is WMGM in Wildwood, NJ, followed by WWSB in Sarasota, FL.

The largest one in-market proper is Univision's WUVP 65 in Philly. But I don't think you're worried about the spanish stations, because there might be some of those stations have probably have yet to switch. Or, they probably have switched and we didn't know about it.

The largest market that still doing 4:3 as a whole is #164 Missoula, MT. None of those stations are either HD or Widescreen ED.

TVNewsCheck posted that the last LIN station is now in HD. They stated that KHON 2 started HD ops and debuted their brand new look. From the station's FB wall, they implemented the new HD look last week.

And you'll never believe what was slightly customized to give that "Hawaiian" feel. Just look at their new opening vid from their FB wall. Beautiful I tell you.

iNergy! very nice fitting.

And one of the last Gray TV stations, WITN 7 has implemented its HD broadcast today. The station streams its news online.

Only WYMT is the only station that's not broadcasting widescreen news (either ED or HD). WJHG, WBKO & Charlottesville Cluster are broadcasting in widescreen ED (no HD).

WYMT is building out it's new HD control room. Right now just waiting on our VizRT system for new graphics package. The plan is to be in HD by the first of the year.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure how we missed this one either, but KQDS in Duluth, MN is now in HD as well. That makes all three Red River stations (KVRR, KDLT and now KQDS) in HD. They're still using their god-awful graphics, though.

I've seen markets in the 200's with better graphics than that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CTV Atlantic finally went HD this past Sunday, and CTV Ottawa went HD on the 7th with a new set.

Yes, there is a major O&O station group in North America that still has stations producing news in 4:3 standard definition; CTV Regina is also working on a new set, and have been using the set of their morning show as a temporary studio. We don't know if they actually are going HD...

More on the CTV front: CTV Saskatoon is now in HD as of tonight. Now, when will that 1080i travel down the Louis Riel Trail?

Given that they seem to be doing Sunday launches for this wave of HD conversions, maybe CTV Regina could finally go HD this week...

And now CTV Regina is finally in HD.

Just two more O&Os to go, and that's CKCO.and Northern Ontario. However, I must note that while the CTV Two stations may be next down the line, these are small-market stations and their news departments are under separate management, even though they standardized around CTV's look after A re-launched as CTV Two.

But thenagain, even small-market U.S. stations are in HD now...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

WJHG has finally appeared to flip the HD switch, launching the standard issue Gray graphics, and dumping "The NBC Collection" for "Inergy".

Aside from their recent acquisitions, WJHG is the final legacy Gray station to be "standardized"....

What they were using before wasn't done by the Gray hub?

What they were using before wasn't done by the Gray hub?

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?/topic/5243-wjhg-new-gfx-premiere/

This was a thread from back in 2009 when the graphics first premiered (the YouTube videos have since been privatized).

Tristan Bresnen did the package.

http://www.tristanbresnen.com/#/clarity

These graphics were used until the launch of the new graphics, and were used when WJHG upgraded to widescreen SD in 2010.

...and in a parallel universe, longtime anchor Tom Lewis recently signed off after 13 years as primary anchor (and a stint as News Director from 2005-2010)

http://www.wjhg.com/home/headlines/Tom-Lewis-Signing-Off-278087411.html

I figured this was in the works for a while, it just had to be implemented when all of the dust had settled.

• 2 months later...

Archived