WNBC drops Newschannel 4...

NYNW

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They changed the logo back to the '92 "4 New York logo". There's a New York under the 4 logo and the "HD" is gone. They haven't changed the theme (thank god), the branding for non-news programming is "4 New York." Sue said right before Extra, "That's it for 'News 4 New York' at 5."

This seems to be an attempt to bring back the classic look that they had at which they had high ratings. Thank goodness they didn't switch to the NBC Stations theme, (it wasn't too bad though, but its just too old, lol) The new logo bug looks horrible though, with the time and temp bug and the 4 New York and all. They should've kept it the way it was before without the HD logo. They should keep the bug illuminated instead of transparent and remove the blue from the time and temp.

Screen caps or video...?

Its pretty much the same thing, the only thing is the nasty looking logo and the name change. The opens are still short. Most of the mic flags have also changed to the new branding. However the set remains the same and is still branded as NewsChannel 4HD. They will likely change it to News 4 New York or 4 New York News, or whatever in the coming weeks.

It all seems like its temporary, but it is not because they wouldn't waste the funds to get new mic flags... Anyway they should've done the branding all at once to make it more presentable.

It all seems like its temporary, but it is not because they wouldn't waste the funds to get new mic flags... Anyway they should've done the branding all at once to make it more presentable.

New mic flags are being used tonight but some reporters still have the 4HD flags.

On a side note I thought it was dumb they kept using 4HD logo on shows that were not even in HD. I am guessing that stops with the name change.

They have been running promos calling themselves 4 New York for a couple of weeks.

The promos you're talking about are the "We're 4 New York" song promos, recently brought back with new stars.

...ditto. I didn't expect them to go back to News 4 New York. But it just feels... right to hear Chuck and Sue saying that again!

The name change is clearly permanent; the graphics clearly are not. My guess is they're probably working on something more permanent to debut later in the year.

New mic flags are being used tonight but some reporters still have the 4HD flags.

On a side note I thought it was dumb they kept using 4HD logo on shows that were not even in HD. I am guessing that stops with the name change.

I hope they will do something similar to what WABC does with the local television programming and use the "NBC 4 HD" branding for local programming and news programming will be "News 4 New York". It would sound pretty weird if they said:

"Watch Extra Today at 5:30 on 4 New York" (sounds bad).

"Watch Extra Today at 5:30 on NBC 4 HD" (sounds much better).

Its similar to WABC because they use "ABC 7" for local programming and "Channel 7" for the news department.

Archived