The CW & My Network TV

WWSBfan

Concur, Hulkie.

With the advent of iptv, plus Chairman Martin's proposals for the future of low power tv, I think we're better positioned as an independent than our larger bretheren stuck in affiliation agreements with CW and MNTV, especially the former.

The problem is getting syndicators and ad agencies (especially the latter) to quit living in the past.

RJ,

First, "IPTV" was passe in 2005. It didn't make a dent in traditional television viewership. The opportunities for schedule-free, viewer-interactive content that the internet provides are the real challenges to old-school television, not a rehashed simulcast of a super-local indie.

Beyond that, there's a point where your zeal for the cause of LPTV becomes delusion. How is being a 5W stick outside Wichita sans CW affiliation a better position than being a full-power CW affiliate with full-market cable carriage? Am I to believe that the ad buys are somehow sweeter for Your Hour than they are for Gossip Girl or the morning talk reruns? Your overhead might be way lower, but the CW affiliate across the city is making much, much bigger bank than you are.

I agree that the CW is misery on wheels, but don't try to make this a "look how awesome LPTV/IPTV is" thing. I appreciate the cause; I'd love to helm my own; it's just not a comparison you can seriously draw.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

speaking of the CW, here is an article from TCA with CW Prez Dawn Ostroff discussing the new season.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/07/19/the-cw-wrap-up-executive-session-and-two-new-shows-tca-report/

boy with the way it's going, i'd love to see it shut it down, as Gordon Ramsey would say, that would be so much fun. Not to mention she's even planning further ahead with the 2009-2010 season, it's ridicolous and very generous of someone giving them 5 years tops to survive, like that's going to happening. Thank God i'm not watching the cw now, it appears from what i've heard, they're pimping out '90210' like crazy especially with their excessive promos, can someone confirm me to this?

quick questions here:

1. With stations like WPIX, KTLA, WGN, KWGN, etc. possibly going back to independent, would they go back to their original status or will there a new 'fifth' network replacing CW? (god i hope not)

2. Has an independent station like those stations mentioned above always been successful? Will they be more valuable being indy again, if so, how?

3. Have the (former) independent stations went downward since UPN, The WB, and FOX even were introduced? Why were those respective networks introduced in the first place?

4. With viewership declining rapidly, should there be a 'fifth' or more of a broadcast network?

5. Being the #1 network that they are now, What made FOX so successful after all these years?

1,2:

It won't be easy, due to the growing audience that is familiar with the "brands."

(English: WPIX, and WGN had a familiar audience that grew up with them, and if 'PIX, brought back the Circle 11 logo and added some classic shows like it's sister, it will make a strong comeback)

The fact that the current economy cannot afford older syndicated programming and that most people prefer the current shows, we could say that the indy stations is dying.

(English: Not unless they make a way for both the older viewers and younger viewers appreciate the station, by airing sitcoms and talk shows in the morning, and for WPIX bringing back the "Star Movie" afternoon block, and in the afternoon be contemporary without jeopardizing the FCC license [i'm referring to the kids shows!]. In short around 9am-11am Talk 11am-12:30 Classic Sitcoms 12:30-2:30 movie, etc.)

1. With stations like WPIX, KTLA, WGN, KWGN, etc. possibly going back to independent, would they go back to their original status or will there a new 'fifth' network replacing CW? (god i hope not)

I'd hope those likely-to-be-ex-CW stations go indy, but considering the magical appearing of CW/My Network soon after the WB/UPN shutdown, I'm not confident.

And as for my 5-year statement, that was how long I felt it would be before BOTH netlets are gone. (I'm sorry, but I'm not quite sold on the rationale that My Network will be around long-term because it's cheap)

I could see all the Tribune stations running a similar schedule. Not a network outright, but more of a programming service just for the station group.

I think MyNet will be the surviving network. Here's why.

MyNet was not launched with false pretenses of "being the fifth network". MyNet was launched because Fox went "oh crap, we need to fill primetime hours on the old UPN stations". Remember, the telenovelas were planned for syndication and then rushed onto the air when the network was launched.

It's run on the cheap, features reruns as part of its schedule, and has no expectations for really high ratings. The boldest gamble they've made so far is to get WWE, and that's not really that bold of a gamble (if it's anything like the setup on UPN/CW, then it's a time buy).

I don't think CW is going to survive two years. You have the largest station group publicly distancing themselves from the network. One of the half-owners is trumpeting a revived online version of the WB in such a manner that screams "We screwed up". And the top brass has made some of the most baffling programming decisions in the history of ever, embracing a target audience of white, suburban, teenaged girls.

Oh, and the branding is ugly at best and downright offensive at worst. Those "OMG" Gossip Girl ads left me cringing.

CW will likely go down as one of the biggest calamities in broadcasting history.

Hulkie, isn't everything about white women between the ages of 18-34, now? Anytime our society airs commercials for products that unless you happen to be under a rock (pregnancy tests, hair products, and tampons) to know you need, I fear for this nation. It seems that to make money, always target the most asinine demo possible.

I don't want to watch Tyra add more female models in a industry (by her own admission) doesn't have enough men in it; I cringe every time I see One Tree Hill, with acting that makes daytime dramas look like award-winning TV; pushing African-American shows (I watch Everybody Hates Chris) to the death slots on Fridays to ensure the few African-Americans on TV become even more scarce; Gossip Girl may be a good show, but I won't watch it; and bring 90210 back has got the dumbest idea since the return of Bionic Woman with a B-list British actress that's all looks and nothing else.

The quicker the CW crashes and burns the better.

If the CW goes bye bye then XETV will just become an indie station.

If the CW goes bye bye than I would imagine that all the stations that carry CW would go independent.

If the CW goes bye bye than I would imagine that all the stations that carry CW would go independent.

That's probably what would happen. I just hope that people don't get laid off if the CW does indeed go under.

Hulkie, isn't everything about white women between the ages of 18-34, now? Anytime our society airs commercials for products that unless you happen to be under a rock (pregnancy tests, hair products, and tampons) to know you need, I fear for this nation. It seems that to make money, always target the most asinine demo possible.

I don't want to watch Tyra add more female models in a industry (by her own admission) doesn't have enough men in it; I cringe every time I see One Tree Hill, with acting that makes daytime dramas look like award-winning TV; pushing African-American shows (I watch Everybody Hates Chris) to the death slots on Fridays to ensure the few African-Americans on TV become even more scarce; Gossip Girl may be a good show, but I won't watch it; and bring 90210 back has got the dumbest idea since the return of Bionic Woman with a B-list British actress that's all looks and nothing else.

The quicker the CW crashes and burns the better.

Yeah, that's another thing. EVERYTHING is aimed towards this female demographic, either 18-34 or 25-54. Radio, TV, you name it. It's gotten especially egregious in local media: every single newscast here covered the launch of Mamma Mia! as the big movie event of the week. Despite a little movie featuring a bat-man which, I believe, has been number one the last two weeks.

It's one of my big big pet peeves.

That's the one sticking point I'll have as a journalist; being told to make story more "female-friendly."

How do I do that exactly, with a news story? Make it a feature story?

It would be nice for a change if a network actually acted as though men existed as a source of money, too. Shouldn't you slavishly go after our money like you do our daughters, wives, sisters, and relatives?

That's the one sticking point I'll have as a journalist; being told to make story more "female-friendly."

How do I do that exactly, with a news story? Make it a feature story?

It would be nice for a change if a network actually acted as though men existed as a source of money, too. Shouldn't you slavishly go after our money like you do our daughters, wives, sisters, and relatives?

Preaching to the choir...

I think MyNet will be the surviving network. Here's why.

MyNet was not launched with false pretenses of "being the fifth network". MyNet was launched because Fox went "oh crap, we need to fill primetime hours on the old UPN stations". Remember, the telenovelas were planned for syndication and then rushed onto the air when the network was launched.

It's run on the cheap, features reruns as part of its schedule, and has no expectations for really high ratings. The boldest gamble they've made so far is to get WWE, and that's not really that bold of a gamble (if it's anything like the setup on UPN/CW, then it's a time buy).

I don't think CW is going to survive two years. You have the largest station group publicly distancing themselves from the network. One of the half-owners is trumpeting a revived online version of the WB in such a manner that screams "We screwed up". And the top brass has made some of the most baffling programming decisions in the history of ever, embracing a target audience of white, suburban, teenaged girls.

Oh, and the branding is ugly at best and downright offensive at worst. Those "OMG" Gossip Girl ads left me cringing.

CW will likely go down as one of the biggest calamities in broadcasting history.

Exactly, my point. These so called "OMG" promos of "Gossip Girl" is enough to make everyone tune off. I don't even watch The CW much, but it might be better if it shut down for good. Usually, they got good programs, but I don't see if anybody would tune in to those shows if are good or not. About The Tribune Company, they are really separating themselves from the network. They are really making a big mistake to sign an affiliation deal for 10 years for a network that's all about the female demographic and not about the male or ethnic demographics anyway. Gotta hand it to you, Hulkie, you do make a lot of sense and you are always right on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Not only that, but I'm guessing most of the CW stations might not recover for a while, and some of them could even fail altogether.

Yep, The CW is apperently going to be dead and buried come the end of this year.

• 2 weeks later...

XETV constantly airs those Gossip Girl promos and just about every CW show. They are really airing 90210 promos. 90210 is said to be a good show but I don't know. Maybe I will record the first episode to see what it's like.

The CW Not Going Anywhere Anytime Soon (?)

CW employees and affiliate stations received the following letter today:

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=130465

To Our CW Colleagues:

As summer draws to a close with the network on the eve of the 2008 fall launch, we want to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for all your hard work and dedication.

We recognize that creating any new business is a difficult proposition, and building a new broadcast network is no exception!

As we move forward into the new season, please know that CBS and Warner Bros., are dedicated to the CW. We stand squarely behind you, and are committed to doing what is necessary to ensure the success of the CW venture.

During the last two years all of us have worked very hard to create and build the CW. In that time we have had numerous successes: We presented Madison Avenue with "Content Wraps" and "Quickies". We up-ended the American pop culture with the creation of "Gossip Girl". Now, The CW has created "90210," the most anticipated and buzzed-about show of the new television season.

All of this has been supported by the most innovative and talked-about marketing campaigns in recent memory, and along the way we have been embraced by every important constituency from advertisers to affiliates and even the press.

CBS and Warner Bros., through the CW, are collaborating to create valuable content assets and build a network that benefits all our business partners and our respective corporate entities.

For those of you who were not in the recent CW current meeting with Nancy and Bruce, please let us state again: We support the network, believe in it, and are committed to its future. All of us must continue to work hard and push everyday to aggressively compete in this marketplace. Our success will be born of focused and sustained effort over the course of the next few years.

We thank you again, and please take a moment to appreciate the talents and accomplishments of every individual in every department at The CW. Best of luck to us all in the 2008-09 season!

Sincerely,

Barry Meyer

Leslie Moonves

Bruce Rosenblum

Nancy Tellem

Re: The CW Not Going Anywhere Anytime Soon (?)

CW employees and affiliate stations received the following letter today:

http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=130465

Translating into plain English: We've got about 1, maybe 2, years before the higher ups at CBS pull the plug unless we get this thing straightened out.

How is it competing in the marketplace to cater to the same demo the other 4 networks are, and 2 cable networks?

You can't compete when you narrow down the demo to the same asinine one the others use. The quicker they crash and burn the better.

I read that Tribune has has a clause in the affiliation agreement so it can leave the network with 9 months notice to the CW. I could see there being an announcement in late December or January. I could see the CW resorting to subchannels of CBS O&Os or something.

The quicker they crash and burn the better.

Only concern for me is where Reaper is going to go. I like that show.

Plus, CBS and WB need to get their stuff sorted out before they do pull the plug. Somebody oughta issue an ultimatum to fix the network in two-three years or it's over. Of course, the network's only two years old and already the biggest station group is dropping any association with the network beyond actually carrying it, while The WB and UPN had no such thing happen to them this early on; though UPN did mildly suffer from this midway through it's lifespan when Chris-Craft bailed and sold O&Os to another network (quite possibly the second biggest blow to WB/UPN/CW, after only the Tribune "boycott"). Merging The WB and UPN was a stupid idea. Also, if The CW were to die, some shows (like Top Model) would likely survive (Top Model shouldn't be cancelled. Why? It's Soup fodder).

• 2 months later...

XHDTV our MNTV affiliate is in the process of going digital on OTA 47. They are licensed in Tecate so they will keep the analog feed. XHDTV-DT will likely be in 720p and will probably be on Cable, Dish, Directv, and U-verse.

Archived