The CW & My Network TV

WWSBfan

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw, man, that's bull! The syndicated "DOND" and "5th Grader" will be on MyNetworkTV?!?! Some folks in Central Virginia don't have the same cable provider! I live south of Richmond (the Petersburg area to be exact) and Comcast took over Adelphia a few years ago. We don't have WRLH-DT2 (MNTV/This TV) on our Comcast but metro Richmond has it on Ch. 209.

I don't Even Know Why I'm posting this, but here we go...

From: http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/277096-Syndie_Fifth_Grader_Deal_or_No_Deal_Top_MyNetworkTV_Slate.php

MyNetworkTV, has settled on its 2009/2010 schedule, according to MyNet affiliates.

Monday

8:00- 9:00 p.m. --- “Law & Order: Criminal Intent”

9:00- 10:00 p.m. --- “Law & Order: Criminal Intent”

Tuesday

8:00- 8:30 p.m. --- “Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?”

8:30- 9:00 p.m. --- “Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?”

9:00- 9:30 p.m. --- “Deal or No Deal”

9:30- 10:00 p.m. --- “Deal or No Deal”

Wednesday

8:00-9:00 p.m. --- “The Unit”

9:00-10:00 p.m. --- “The Unit”

Thursday

8:00-10:00 p.m. --- “My Thursday Night Movie”

Friday

8:00-10:00 p.m. --- “WWE Friday Night SmackDown”

My Network TV isn't even trying anymore huh?

• 1 month later...

Of course, it's summer so there are fewer people watching TV overall but Lisa de Moraes likes kicking them when they're down.

And well, so do I.

Broadcast's latest stab at a network [The CW] attracted under a million viewers on five of six nights last week, and finished with its smallest audience on record, 920,000 viewers. It goes without saying it finished the week dead last among broadcasters, but did you know it also came in behind: Disney Channel, USA, BET, ESPN, TNT, Fox News Channel, TLC, Nick at Nite, CNN, TBS, ABC Family, Discovery, Food Network, FX, A&E, HGTV, Cartoon Network, History, Syfy, Tru, Lifetime and AMC!

I don't know if she's counting MyNetworkTV (since MNT stopped asking to be treated as a network by Neilsens), but does it really matter?

Kick them when they're down? That's not mean. That's being generous. They need to pack it in.

Face it: A network based on teenage (white) girls isn't going work. It didn't work when the economy was good, and the money spigot needs to be turned off. Nice try. Come back and try to create an actually inclusive network when the economy gets better.

Mr. Zell, you can pull the plug. It's dead.

I really think that UPN and The WB should have stayed separate, both were niche networks never really given a chance to grow. While not being big ratings getters they did better than The CW and each had some decent shows.

I've always wondered what would've happened had either UPN or the WB folded and the other remained. Would UPN have done well ratings-wise without the WB as its competitor? Would the WB have overtaken Fox or even one of the traditional "Big Three"?

Personally, I think we have too many broadcasting networks in a day when cable channels are becoming more and more popular. I'll be surprised if the CW and MNTV are both still around two or three years from now.

The end of the CW as we know it is more nigh than we all think. Worst case scenario' date=' all the soon-to-be-former CW affils will likely become independent.[/quote']

If the Tribune stations that carry the network had decided to drop them this year, then yes you'd be correct, but they're staying on for at least another season.

• 3 months later...

It's a bump, but the CW's trying to get uppity.

Unfortunately, Vampire Diaries (True Blood it ain't) is making Ostroff and Co. think the CW is a legitimate network.

Some delightful spin from the land where only women watch TV after Univision garnered a full 4 times as many viewers, and 18-34 women more viewers than the Vampire Diaries. Yet in their magic land, they came in "first." We'll leave out the fact more women are watching both Gray's Anatomy and Private Practice.

Latin Grammy Awards Numbers: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/11/06/10th-annual-latin-grammy-awards-nielsen-ratings-sing-for-univision/32850

CW-Spin Press Release: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/11/06/the-cws-vampire-diaries-sinks-its-teeth-into-first-place-among-young-women/32827

The really sad thing is they are pinning their hopes on teen girls and women who are only interested in the network because they came up with a crappy version of True Blood.

Opinions?

It's a bump, but the CW's trying to get uppity.

Unfortunately, Vampire Diaries (True Blood it ain't) is making Ostroff and Co. think the CW is a legitimate network.

This won't last long, mainly because it's clearly riding the Twilight/True Blood vampire craze (which I will be glad when that's over), and it's obvious that their other shows (Gossip Girl, 90210, et al) can't draw that big an audience based on the show's "merit" (otherwise, you wouldn't have to resort to some of these racy promos and certain "stunts" if you catch my drift) as well as the fact Smallville's getting up in years (dating back to 2001, which I think makes it the last WB holdover).

But I digress. The foundation is too shaky to sustain the CW long-term.

But I digress. The foundation is too shaky to sustain the CW long-term.

Not to mention the simple fact that five major broadcasting networks [ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC, and the CW] is likely at least one too many in this day and age. We already know that six was too many, but MNTV solved that problem when they turned into a programming service.

I give the CW another year or two before it will be forced to make some serious decisions, and what I mean either diverse its target audience or fold like a chair...

I say this especially after watching episodes of the Game on YouTube and saw how dirty they did such a good show because it wasn't targeting the most coveted white girl 18-34 demo. The execs who oversee the network at Time Warner and CBS both needs to be canned because they are full of sh*t.

The Vampire Diaries has a future, but it's likely to be on either one of Viacom's teen/young people networks (TeenNick or Nickelodeon) on cable/satellite. Especially since most of the dramas shown on those networks are filmed in Canada anyways.

The Vampire Diaries has a future, but it's likely to be on either one of Viacom's teen/young people networks (TeenNick or Nickelodeon) on cable/satellite. Especially since most of the dramas shown on those networks are filmed in Canada anyways.

Since when would Nickelodeon...or for that matter, Disney Channel (threw them in considering they have the same demographic, namely the younger sisters of the CW's target audience) take an hour-long series at any point? Nick at Nite doesn't even have hour-long dramas on their block and haven't as far as I can recall.

Just remembered. TeenNick (the former N network) pretty much was 24/7 Degrassi, anyway...

Back on subject, again I don't see that happening.

Like that'll happen...

Since when would Nickelodeon...or for that matter, Disney Channel (threw them in considering they have the same demographic, namely the younger sisters of the CW's target audience) take an hour-long series at any point? Nick at Nite doesn't even have hour-long dramas on their block and haven't as far as I can recall.

Just remembered. TeenNick (the former N network) pretty much was 24/7 Degrassi, anyway...

Back on subject, again I don't see that happening.

The reason why TeenNick is Degrassi 24/7 is due to the lack of production of new shows by MTV Networks for the channel. However, if the CW did fold it wouldn't be difficult for them to pick it up and carry the show on since most of the series on the N/TeenNick.

• 2 months later...

The CW is going to be with us for the time being... why? It makes more money for the parent companies than it loses as a network.

How the CW Stays Undead

Also interesting from the article is that NBC managed to lose more money last quarter than the CW.

From the Warner Bros. standpoint, [Warner Bros. TV Group President Bruce] Rosenblum says the profit from the shows the company controls on The CW exceeds its share of the losses. Profit and loss on The CW are split 50-50 between Warner Bros. and CBS.

CBS also looks at the venture from a more macro perspective. “In four short years, The CW has proved its ability to develop hit programs for a specific target audience, creating and sustaining profitable program franchises for both parent companies,” [CBS' Senior Advisor to the CEO Nancy] Tellem says. “We established a brand. Every year we had a hit. From a studio standpoint, a content creation standpoint, we built franchises and assets that not only grew on The CW but internationally. To us, it's a win-win.”

CBS officials point out that new franchises launched on The CW—Gossip Girl, the 90210 remake and this year's freshman entry Vampire Diaries—proved profitable their first year out. Typically in the broadcast network paradigm, studios don't recoup their deficit for several years, if they do at all. 90210 currently earns $2 million per episode in foreign revenues, according to sources. Legacy shows carried over from UPN such as America's Next Top Model, and former WB shows such as Smallville, Supernatural and One Tree Hill, continue driving revenue for the parent companies.

Which is why Geriatric Superboy is in what must be its 47th season on television.

Wonderful. This is an open excuse for the CW to continue marketing to teenybopper girls who have no money, and ignore the rest of the demographics. Hit programs? That's funny. We must be speaking relative here. The only show that is a bona fide hit is the Vampire Diaries, but it loses to the NBC comedies in viewers.

Life Unexpected is the only well written, well acted show, outside of Supernatural. Gossip Girl was good, but it's trying to do much at the same time, and now it's mediocre, and the ratings show it.

The CW is a lose-lose in the long run. Those show might make money overseas, but they don't domestically (see Pappas Telecasting bankruptcy). To support ad-rates, and in some cases news departments, the station has to have eyeballs. The CW doesn't deliver them adequately, due to the extremely narrow audience focus. NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX make lots of money because they target women (and men, yes, Dawn [Ostroff], men) in 18-49. They have model that works, but would work better if Madison Avenue could catch on to that fact men buy more than cars and beer.

90210 is treading water, Melrose Place is dead (primarily, despite having Heather Locklear, the rest of the cast is worse than you'd find in elementary school pageant).

If it was me, the minute their ratings dropped below Univison's, I would have flipped my stations to Spanish. There's actual dinero to be made.

Hispanics have more potential for revenue than 18-34 white girls. Dawn, Bruce and Nancy don't get it.

Wonderful. This is an open excuse for the CW to continue marketing to teenybopper girls who have no money, and ignore the rest of the demographics. Hit programs? That's funny. We must be speaking relative here. The only show that is a bona fide hit is the Vampire Diaries, but it loses to the NBC comedies in viewers.

Life Unexpected is the only well written, well acted show, outside of Supernatural. Gossip Girl was good, but it's trying to do much at the same time, and now it's mediocre, and the ratings show it.

The CW is a lose-lose in the long run. Those show might make money overseas, but they don't domestically (see Pappas Telecasting bankruptcy). To support ad-rates, and in some cases news departments, the station has to have eyeballs. The CW doesn't deliver them adequately, due to the extremely narrow audience focus. NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX make lots of money because they target women (and men, yes, Dawn [Ostroff], men) in 18-49. They have model that works, but would work better if Madison Avenue could catch on to that fact men buy more than cars and beer.

90210 is treading water, Melrose Place is dead (primarily, despite having Heather Locklear, the rest of the cast is worse than you'd find in elementary school pageant).

Don't forget "America's Next Top Model". It's still going strong. A couple months ago, Tyra Banks said that this season of her talk show will be her last. She's focusing on her film production company.

Oh, and Smallville (the show that won't die) needs to end.

• 1 month later...

Proof Dawn Ostroff is a moron only Jeff Zucker could possibly top:

THR:
OK, but is there anything that can be done to give [Gossip Girl & 90210] even better ratings next year?

Ostroff:
We haven’t gotten into the conversations with the producers about what next year’s shows are going to be. But I do think as more and more people are migrating to their DVR and streaming shows, I think it’s going to be harder and harder to envision our Nielsen numbers going up.

More here: http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/04/cws-dawn-ostroff-hard-to-envision-gossip-girl-90210-nielsen-numbers-going-up/

And here: http://www.thrfeed.com/2010/03/qa-the-cws-dawn-ostroff.html

She keeps singing that only white women between 18-34 are the only people on earth worth targeting. "Target genre" television is wrong way to go forward. Lifetime works because it's targets women with money. Somebody fire this moron. She makes Zucker look like genius, and he's a bonehead.

I really wouldn't want to work at CW station while she's in charge. She'll lead everybody right onto the unemployment line.

• 2 weeks later...
According to an article today in Broadcasting and Cable' date=' The CW's primetime lineup is a bad mismatch for Tribune's affiliates.

No wonder why they dropped the network's branding from their stations.

If I was a gambler, I'd bet there would be a complete revolt by Tribune (including a possible Tribune-wide disassociation with CW) in the near future.

If that scenario (which I think would be far-fetched) actually happened, that would probably be the fatal blow for the net-let.

Archived