Gannett GX Changes

first on fox

The music sounds kinda Enforcer-ish....kinda.

It sounds just enough like Enforcer to annoy me. I actually started to like the new cuts of Enforcer from Gari. The graphics are nice (though quicky-looking) but I hate the new music. Gannett big wigs, if you read this (y'all probably don't), let WUSA go back to using one of the Enforcer packages they paid for. (Y'all probably won't...)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It sounds just enough like Enforcer to annoy me. I actually started to like the new cuts of Enforcer from Gari. The graphics are nice (though quicky-looking) but I hate the new music. Gannett big wigs, if you read this (y'all probably don't), let WUSA go back to using one of the Enforcer packages they paid for. (Y'all probably won't...)

I'm holding on to all hope that WKYC will keep The Tower.

It also almost sounds like Gari's Advantage (WFSB theme). Again, just enough to annoy me. I expect the theme to go a certain way, but it veers in a completely different way. I didn't particularly care for WFSB when WUSA ran it, because it sounded like a cutesy bastardization of WUSA's 615 Music theme (USA News). But this new Gannett theme sounds like a bastardization of a bastardization.

Another hint that the theme might be by Rampage Music--James Ryan composed the CNBC theme music and its signature (not the NBC chimes, but the other five-note sig it uses) sounds like the one in the Gannett theme...

I think what kills it is the music. There have certainly been very, very good custom station packages (Fox O&O, Image News, hell I even really like Gilmer's H-A), but this music is.... generally not even on the level of production music. If it's Rampage Music (which I think it is because of the aforementioned similarity to CNBC's current music), then I'm inclined to think what the hell happened because their stuff has never been THIS bad.

The more I see examples of this package, the more this makes Novocom look good.

I already started a thread about this in the Graphics forum, but if it's any station, it's WZZM: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HQtnXzf4sM

*bangs head against the wall*

Why do they have two different on-screen logos?? Was it to much money to create a new "On Target Weather" logo to go with the new graphics?

Bush league, man, bush league.

It's like the logo went in a time machine from 1995 to 2008...

I have uploaded a montage of WUSAs 5/6pm newscast tonight.

check it out here:

Man, you can just see the cost-cutting cheapness in these graphics. They hardly even try to get the new graphics to fit in to the look of each station. In addition to those flaws mentioned above (mixing WZZM's old and new logos, and them just lifting WTLX's old logo), look at WUSA's "9 Sports Now" open. It's not even in the same typeface as the "9 News Now" logo. It's just in Helvetica!

Gannett should be embarrassed.

I have mixed feelings about it...I like it, but it doesnt seem to fit WUSA in this market. Its strange not hearing enforcer. You can easily tell it is cookie cutter. It doesnt seem to flow well with WUSA. But who knows maybe itll grow on me...I am interested to see WFMY (i just moved back from that Market).

I really didn't like the cut of enforcer that WUSA used though. It really seemed too tabloid to me and didn't flow well with the graphics. Mind you I watch KSDK which also uses WUSA's old graphics and the music they use is completely different with that so that might be the case.

Overall though the new Gannett look is growing on me. I'm interested to see KSDK's intrepretation of it.

I really didn't like the cut of enforcer that WUSA used though. It really seemed too tabloid to me and didn't flow well with the graphics. Mind you I watch KSDK which also uses WUSA's old graphics and the music they use is completely different with that so that might be the case.

Overall though the new Gannett look is growing on me. I'm interested to see KSDK's intrepretation of it.

I hated the last version of Enforcer that WUSA had been using since they changed the name of the newscast to "9 News Now" (helping to lower my opinion of that name even further). I had liked the Gari-take on Hegner's News in Focus that had debuted with the Giant Octopus graphics back in 2006, but for whatever reason Gannett had to muck things up. ("Maybe they don't know we're in High-Definition. Let's make that the most prominent in the opens. And we need a more urgent title, now! Wait, that's it Nine News NOW!!!!!")

But I was holding out hope that WUSA would transition completely to Enforcer Grand (or whatever they call the cut that they use at WCBS). But, instead, we have Enforcer knock-off.

The new graphics (& even the music) seem like they might be an improvement for some stations (KTHV, WGRZ, WLTX, WCSH/WLBZ), but for others it's a step backwards. KUSA, WBIR and KARE have always been more unique with their themes & graphics - it's a shame to .... standardize them. I realize most people won't know if all the Gannett stations have the same look & sound, but it seems too bad to take successful stations and start changing things just for the sake of conformity.

The new graphics (& even the music) seem like they might be an improvement for some stations (KTHV, WGRZ, WLTX, WCSH/WLBZ)...

Eh, I don't know about WCSH and WLBZ... I'm not too familiar with that market, but isn't WCSH #1? I don't think the new look with sit well with NewsCenter viewers...

I get the same feeling with KTHV, I don't think their style of presentation would fit with the new look very well (at least the new music).

Eh, I don't know about WCSH and WLBZ... I'm not too familiar with that market, but isn't WCSH #1? I don't think the new look with sit well with NewsCenter viewers...

I'm thinking that same way. There like the only Gannett Duo in Maine that has keep the same theme (Good News) for more than two decades. IMO, this would be a big step backwards for them if they get the new graphics and the bastardized music.

yeah, I'm interested to see how they work it out at channel 5. actually to be honest I like the graphics, just the music.... that's going to take a while to get used to. I mean heck I still yell at the TV when they say information center instead of the newsroom...

it better be good or else there will be a lot of folks leaving channel 5, I mean folks are pissed enough at 1000 Market Street for firing John Fuller.

Lee Nelson of WCSH's Morning Report has confirmed on his blog that they are in fact getting the new graphics and music. He mentioned that they will keep the StormCenter cues. It will debut later this month, and I honestly cannot see it working.

Lee Nelson of WCSH's Morning Report has confirmed on his blog that they are in fact getting the new graphics and music. He mentioned that they will keep the StormCenter cues. It will debut later this month, and I honestly cannot see it working.

Without a doubt, they'll be so many spinning heads in southern Maine when they hear that bastardized music later on this month. And some are already complaining abou the demise of the station's longtime theme. Keeping one theme from GN for their Storm Center segments (similar to WTVT keeping the Impact theme for their weather opens) is nothing. Why Gannett want to go towards this route and change these stations precious sounds that have fit each stations individuality and locality? We'll see if these changes will piss folks off in not only in southern Maine. But in Denver, the Twin Cities and even Knoxville. And I wonder which color poor old 13WMAZ in Macon, GA going to use. I hate to see their purple & yellow color graphics go.

Diana Pierce and Pat Evans from KARE 11 just told me via the online/on TV 4PM show that their graphics and music will be changing effective next week, or the week of the 20th. Goodbye to the good ol' KARE theme. Dang.

They also said that their art department is being consolidated (Gannett layoffs) and their graphics will come out of Denver--via KUSA (I'd assume.)

Matt O.

Archived