New NBC O&O websites

A3N

Makes sense...

I have thought it's extremely odd that KNTV still directs people to "NBC11.com" even though the station has been known as NBC Bay Area for almost three months now. Any departure from an IBS site is a welcome change, IMO.

WMAQ has a sneak peak at the new websites that the NBC O&O's will eventually use. From the picture' date=' the website looks a lot cleaner than the IB System sites. Oh and it looks like the website will be branded as NBC [i']city name[/i]. i.e. NBC Chicago

Slideshow...

http://www.nbc5.com/slideshow/news/17567505/detail.html

And so the rumor of whether NBC will incoporate the NBC (City name) look across its O&O's continues.

Broadcast and Cable has more information on the sites, including the launch dates for each.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6604891.html

After today’s Chicago launch, new sites go live in Los Angeles, San Diego and San Francisco on October 16; in Dallas, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C. on October 20; and in New York and Hartford on October 27.

Oh yeah -- NBCChicago was launched today.

I don't think nbcdallas.com is a good branding for the whole DFW area. KXAS isn't even in Dallas, they are in Fort Worth.

Interesting because a TVNewsday article says that the new KXAS site will be nbcdfw.com but when I typed it in, nothing came up.

The new site is... interesting. There's a lot of content on it, but it still seems quite hard to find things. I like the idea that it's more of a news aggregation thing as stuff points to the Sun-Times and national papers as well as the site.

I also find it odd that they're moving in the opposite direction as far as video goes. So far, I can't find any.

I can see updating the websites but not changing the domain names...NBC 5 in Chicago has been nbc5.com for as long as I can remember and I'm not about to type in nbcchicago.com--too long. Luckily nbc5.com still works too. Just like I'm sure viewers in Washington DC know WRC as nbc4.com and it's much simpler than nbcwashington.com.

The old addresses redirect to the new... most sites that get name changes do that.

I still type in "fox29.com" since I'm too lazy to go to "myfoxphilly.com"...

I still type "kfmb.com" instead of "news8online.com" (which only lasted for a year) then now changed to "cbs8.com"

and then theres "kswbtv.com" which is fox5sandiego.com

heh

All of them are up except WNBC's

And WVIT's nbcconnecticut.com. I'm imagining nbcmiami.com is on indefinite hold.

For fun, wonder how long this has been in the works as you visit nbcprovidence.com, nbccolumbus.com, and nbcraleigh.com.

Archived