Put Diana Williams back on the 6 and 11PM duties

Micstromme

I know that it was her decision to get a lighter load and all that good stuff, but I was hoping that she would take over for Liz Cho since she announced that she was extending her family. While Liz was on maternal leave, Diana and Sade Baderinwa did do a great job substituting for her, and given that she does not fill in as much as she used to for Roz Abrams and Bill Beutel, perhaps she should take her original seat back. What do you guys think?

Also note that Liz Cho does not fill in for anyone else with the exception of Sandra Bookman.

Well if she wants to lighten her work load, then that is pretty much it, I don't think she has any interest in permanently doing the 6PM and 11PM anymore. It was her decision, not the station's management... But that is an interesting point, I've never seen Liz Cho sit in for anyone else before, yet all of the other anchors have...

Well if she wants to lighten her work load, then that is pretty much it, I don't think she has any interest in permanently doing the 6PM and 11PM anymore. It was her decision, not the station's management... But that is an interesting point, I've never seen Liz Cho sit in for anyone else before, yet all of the other anchors have...

Her and Liz have that distinction in their contracts. Diana only subs for either Bill or Liz. Liz has only been seen subbing on the weekend editions of Eyewitness News. Thus, she has only filled in for one anchor, and that is Sandra Bookman, lucky woman.

Her and Liz have that distinction in their contracts. Diana only subs for either Bill or Liz. Liz has only been seen subbing on the weekend editions of Eyewitness News. Thus, she has only filled in for one anchor, and that is Sandra Bookman, lucky woman.

Hmm, thats interesting, because I've never seen her sub in for Sandra Bookman, while she's off during the weekends except during the earlier years she's been with the station back in 2003. As of late, i've seen other reporters sub in for Sandra like Lisa Collagrosi, Lauren Glassberg or Toni Yates...

That is not true whatsoever.

Let me explain something. There are no "subs" for anyone specifically. It rotates, and is actually mostly on a volunteer basis. Bill Ritter fills in all over, because he believes in being a team player, and subs regularly for Diana and Sade at 5pm, and sometimes for Joe Torres on weekends.

Sade is actually the only one who used to have the clause in her contract that she filled in at 11pm as needed, however that was in an old contract and now Diana often will do so as well.

Lori Stokes will sit in for Sade at 5pm as needed, but only if Bill Ritter has the week off as well.

The mornings and weekends are covered by a variety of people. Lisa Colagrossi, Michelle Charlesworth, Lauren Glassberg, Emily Smith, Toni Yates, Phil Lipof. It really does depend on who is off and when.

Liz subs on Sundays for Sandra about two or three times per year.

Sade is the regular sub for Liz at 11pm; Diana usually subs at 11pm about one week per year.

Lori is the regular sub for Sade at 5pm.

I'll repeat what I said earlier. I have seen Liz sub at 5pm. She doesn't do it very often, and it's been a while since I've last seen her do it. As a matter of fact, the last time I saw her sub at 5pm, I think it was when Diana and Sade were both off, and Liz and Bill were both filling in. She has also sat with both Diana and Sade.

And with Diana subbing at 11pm, I definitely think she does it more than one week a year. She may not do it as much as Sade, but it is more than five times a year.

I'll repeat what I said earlier. I have seen Liz sub at 5pm. She doesn't do it very often, and it's been a while since I've last seen her do it. As a matter of fact, the last time I saw her sub at 5pm, I think it was when Diana and Sade were both off, and Liz and Bill were both filling in. She has also sat with both Diana and Sade.

And with Diana subbing at 11pm, I definitely think she does it more than one week a year. She may not do it as much as Sade, but it is more than five times a year.

I think that TVNEWSLOVER is correct. I am not a big viewer of WABC's newscasts, but I do recall seeing Cho on the 5pm newscasts last year with Diana Williams. And while Sade seems to fill in for Cho on the 11 more than Williams, Diana fills in at 11. And I'm sure it brings back memories for long time viewers of that station to see her at 11. Kinda wish Bill Beutel was sitting next to her. RIP.

Kinda wish Bill Beutel was sitting next to her. RIP.

Don't we all. And I thought that he AND Diana both did the 6 and 11 PM newscasts up until his retirement (which was what, '03?). Obviously back then, they never gave the newscasts' names back then (i.e. EWN at 6 or EWN at 11 that they do now).

Don't we all. And I thought that he AND Diana both did the 6 and 11 PM newscasts up until his retirement (which was what, '03?). Obviously back then, they never gave the newscasts' names back then (i.e. EWN at 6 or EWN at 11 that they do now).

GAMESHOWGUY2000--You are indeed correct. Bill Beutel anchored solo at 6 and with Williams at 11. For about a year prior to his retirement the station added Williams to be his co-anchor at 6. Beutel and Williams anchored the 6 and 11 together up to his retirement. Again, not a huge WABC fan, but I can tell you that Mr. Beutel was a very nice guy and a gentleman!

I do not think I have ever seen Liz sit with the 5pm ladies since she joined the station. I have never seen her sub until this year. Hopefully, they will not only allow Liz to fill in For Sade, but also they should allow for Lori Stokes and maybe even let Ken Rosato fill in for some later anchors. I like that they rotate between Sandra, Lori and Bill for the 5PM subs (And Lori Stokes and Bill Ritter did the 5PM teriffically when Diana did the coverage of the new archbishop), but I would like to see Lori do some subbing for Liz or maybe Bill Ritter on the evening shifts. Its been a while since I have seen her on the 11PM news.

I definitely love to see Diana Williams fill in for Liz. It does brings back memories.

GAMESHOWGUY2000--You are indeed correct. Bill Beutel anchored solo at 6 and with Williams at 11. For about a year prior to his retirement the station added Williams to be his co-anchor at 6. Beutel and Williams anchored the 6 and 11 together up to his retirement. Again, not a huge WABC fan, but I can tell you that Mr. Beutel was a very nice guy and a gentleman!

Actually, Bill Beutel stepped down from the 11pm show in 1999 and from the 6pm show in 2001, when he became "senior correspondent"...

From 1999 until 2001 Diana Williams and Bill Ritter anchored EWN at 11pm... and 2001 until 2003, they anchored EWN at 6pm, after Beutel stepped away from anchoring.

Diana joined Bill on EWN at 6 after he left 11pm. There were two reasons behind it. Diana truly enjoyed working with Beutel, and Beutel was starting to suffer from Lewy Body by then, and needed someone who he was comfortable with to help him through.

In 2003 Liz Cho signed on and Diana shifted to the 5pm show with Roz - this was when Sade was anchoring EWN at Noon with Steve Bartelstein.

Understand that I know that it was Diana's decision to step down from those shows (I would have never did that) but she did and while I respect that decision, I think it would be nice to see Diana on the 11pm newscast again. It would be even nicer if Roz Abrams was back. Sigh.

Archived