WTF: WNBC Might Axe 5pm News for..Lifestyle

first on fox

Rumors are currently swirling at WNBC-4, NBC's flagship station in New York, that executives at NBC Universal are considering the creation of a daily 5 p.m. lifestyle show that could debut on affiliate stations around the country as early as the fall of 2009—and which could spell the end, locally, of WNBC’s 5 p.m. newscast, currently anchored by Sue Simmons and David Ushery.

http://www.observer.com/2009/media/nbc-working-live-5-format-killer

What's wrong with these people at NBC?!? Who the hell wants to watch a lifestyle show? I know WNBC is struggling, but news is better than a show about lifestyle. Why don't they test it out in other markets other than in the #1.

But the whole situation about ad revenues is understandable, I'm wondering how WABC and WBCS is holding up.

Struggling stations will look at cost-cutting measures much more than successful stations. WNBC has been dramatic with their cuts because they have fallen the most in recent years. (i.e. the plush bottom line of being #2 has changed for the worse now that they are #3..roughtly).

WCBS hasn't had to make as many drastic format changes because they have seen an uptick in ratings in recent years (and thus an uptick in the bottom line).

When stations anywhere begin making cuts and drastic changes (like format changes) it means the stations bottom line has taken a huge hit. With #2 station money, WNBC was able to pay guys like Berman 1.5M (or whatever)...but at #3 that money isn't there.

BTW, take with salt that article...it said there is a POSSIBILITY of axing Live at Five. But, I would like to know if NY NonStop doesn't take off, why would they want to add MORE lifestyle, and also to the WNBC Channel (opposed to a subchannel)?

Wasn't this tried already with the News 4 You or something like that with Perri Peltz? It failed, so why would they do it again? Its not really the news that's their issue its their lame programming that is causing them to sink and tank. However the constant changes, adds more fuel to the fire...

I think News 4 You was more of a consumer news show, whereas what they are planning now seems to be more of a entertainment/lifestyle show.

Based on the information given in the article, it seems they are targeting something more along the lines of "In the Loop with iVillage" (a.k.a. iVillage Live). We all know how that faired.

My ideas is just stick with the news at 5pm. If you want to change it up, make it a little bit more entertainment-like in the second half hour or send one of the anchors out to some location one day a week (WCAU in Philly does this on their 4pm show every so often).

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the LX in LX.TV actually stand for and if it is for "lifestyle", how is it that lifestyle is derived from "LX"? Will somebody please explain?

Another move by "The Butcher". Why can't this lady just go away!? Ruining WNBC just like she ruined WRC and WMAQ. Burns and O'Brien make Leone and Doctor look good.

What they are doing the past few years has to boggle the mind. WNBC was the class of the news stations in NY. Not crime and ambulance chasing like 7 or in the extreme example, Fox5, but good journalism, good reporters, indepth reports. All gone. Its hard to watch now. I understand cost savings, but this is beyond that. I love Chuck and Sue (and living in boring St. Louis with Mike Bush who should be on Mt. Rushmore) they are sorely missed. But it was more than those icons. Now its Jeffrey Lyons, and unlike other critics, he got it right.

Zucker may have tipped his hat today in announcing NBC is now a cable company. With these moves, N4NY may rival a local origination news program. It seems the network and the O&Os, and the quality they stood for, are just an afterthought today. What a shame.

Also, is it me but every time I come back, I notice the sound quality in the new Studio 7E sucks. Muted voices that sound like they are in an echo chamber. With all the bucks, couldn't they get a good sound there?

Like one poster said, hopefully this is not real, and by leaking it they will see how much their loyal viewers are turned off.

Another move by "The Butcher". Why can't this lady just go away!? Ruining WNBC just like she ruined WRC and WMAQ. Burns and O'Brien make Leone and Doctor look good.

Maybe she's in cahoots with Jeff Zucker, who seems to be outdoing her in the fact he's basically doing the same thing on the network level.

Still, this would be a outrageously bad move if this happens.

Maybe she's in cahoots with Jeff Zucker, who seems to be outdoing her in the fact he's basically doing the same thing on the network level.

Still, this would be a outrageously bad move if this happens.

If Burns and Zucker love dismantling things, maybe Puerto Rico's governor can bring them to help him fire the remaining 50,000 government employees to achieve the same "synergies" that NBC and WNBC want from their operations.

If Burns and Zucker love dismantling things, maybe Puerto Rico's governor can bring them to help him fire the remaining 50,000 government employees to achieve the same "synergies" that NBC and WNBC want from their operations.

Or they could run for the next CA Gubernatorial election.

Archived